big law in houston? t-14 vs ut

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
PrezRand
Posts: 1572
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:31 pm

Re: big law in houston? t-14 vs ut

Postby PrezRand » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:59 pm

BigZuck wrote:
PrezRand wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
PrezRand wrote:The t-14 is objectively better at placing students in TX biglaw if you have ties or a compelling reason to work there. UT is my second choice for school but I am seriously worried about going there because there is a strong possibility I would not get biglaw. I think most people would say, HYS>UVA/Duke/Chicago>T14>UT.

The bolded strikes me as a weird grouping. I don't buy the notion that, say, a CLS or Michigan student is worse off than a UVA/Duke student in the major Texas markets.

More Southern biglaw firms recruit at Duke and UVA than the other t14 schools. More southern biglaw firms recruit at Chicago than Columbia and NYU. You could potentially make the argument that there are southern biglaw firms that do not try to recruit from HYS which could counter my claim about Columbia and NYU, but I highly doubt it would not be easier to get biglaw at any firm from HYS, regardless of if they recruit there.

I think if firms are going to be more physically present at one school opposed to another then I'd lean toward that school (that's why I generally suggest people maybe lean toward Duke/UVA than say Northwestern/Michigan if all else is equal). But I don't think someone would be at a huge disadvantage if they went to a non-southern T14. I bet the cutoffs are exactly the same. They're probably just going to the sourthern schools because more southerners/Texans tend to gravitate there, not because they prefer those schools.

Except for Cornell. Has anyone actually met a lawyer that went to Cornell? I sure haven't. I'm not sure that's even a real school.

You might be right. Idk where the cutoff is but I think it's lower than the median. Personally, I prefer Duke and UVA over the rest of the t14.

favabeansoup
Posts: 416
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:26 pm

Re: big law in houston? t-14 vs ut

Postby favabeansoup » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:19 am

Thread is getting off-topic. No one is trying to argue that UT would beat out HYS or UVA/Duke/Chicago, etc in Houston biglaw. Obviously all of those schools have far superior biglaw numbers in general.

The specific criteria were median at UT vs. median at GULC vs. median at Cornell in Houston biglaw market.

That question is not an easy yes or no by any means. Cornell places fabulously in the NYC biglaw market, but truly I don't think the prestige of a Cornell median student (or GULC even more so) beats out a median at UT in Texas most of the time. Plus, UT has far lower costs and likely higher scholarship levels to consider for any student.

Median at GULC and UT are both risky endeavors. Plenty of median kids can get biglaw, plenty of kids don't. Does just a few percentage point difference in biglaw/fed clerk (lazy to look up actually numbers but thought it was about right) make up for quite a large extra debt burden?

Also because I'm neurotic and want to defend my alma mater's honor, I will list the largest law firms in Houston along with how many UT/GULC/Cornell grads they have in their Houston office. Doing this will prove absolutely nothing and serve no other purpose than to stoke my own ego.

V&E: UT = 41 partners, 36 associates. GULC = 4 partners, 6 associates Cornell = 0

NRF: UT = 21 partners, 29 associates GULC = 2 partners, 2 associates Cornell = 0

Andrews Kurth: UT = lazy 10+ in both GULC = 0 partners, 1 associate Cornell = 0 (although I'll give them 1 counsel)

BB: UT = 20 partners, 24 associates GULC = 7 partners, 1 associate Cornell = 1 partner, 1 associate

Akin: UT = 13 partners, 5 associates GULC = 1 partner, 1 associate Cornell = 0

Latham: UT = 3 partners, 4 associates GULC = 2 partners, 3 associates (third partner only got LLM at GULC, JD was at SMU) Cornell = 1 partner, 2 associates (maybe another partner but he really looks like he is mostly chicago based)

Bracewell: UT = 23 partners, 17 associates GULC = 2 partners, 1 associate Cornell = 1 associate

User avatar
existentialcrisis
Posts: 487
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:23 pm

Re: big law in houston? t-14 vs ut

Postby existentialcrisis » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:06 am

PrezRand wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
PrezRand wrote:The t-14 is objectively better at placing students in TX biglaw if you have ties or a compelling reason to work there. UT is my second choice for school but I am seriously worried about going there because there is a strong possibility I would not get biglaw. I think most people would say, HYS>UVA/Duke/Chicago>T14>UT.

The bolded strikes me as a weird grouping. I don't buy the notion that, say, a CLS or Michigan student is worse off than a UVA/Duke student in the major Texas markets.

More Southern biglaw firms recruit at Duke and UVA than the other t14 schools. More southern biglaw firms recruit at Chicago than Columbia and NYU. You could potentially make the argument that there are southern biglaw firms that do not try to recruit from HYS which could counter my claim about Columbia and NYU, but I highly doubt it would not be easier to get biglaw at any firm from HYS, regardless of if they recruit there.


It is definitely a good thing that more Texas firms go to UVA/Duke OCI, and you're not going to go wrong heading to one of those two if you want Texas Big Law. That being said, a Michigan/Penn/NU student with strong Texas ties who mass mails Texas firms not coming to his OCI, is going to get interviews. I think really the key is heading home to Texas for your 1L summer internship, so you can let those firms know that you're in town.

User avatar
PrezRand
Posts: 1572
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:31 pm

Re: big law in houston? t-14 vs ut

Postby PrezRand » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:45 am

favabeansoup wrote:Thread is getting off-topic. No one is trying to argue that UT would beat out HYS or UVA/Duke/Chicago, etc in Houston biglaw. Obviously all of those schools have far superior biglaw numbers in general.

The specific criteria were median at UT vs. median at GULC vs. median at Cornell in Houston biglaw market.

That question is not an easy yes or no by any means. Cornell places fabulously in the NYC biglaw market, but truly I don't think the prestige of a Cornell median student (or GULC even more so) beats out a median at UT in Texas most of the time. Plus, UT has far lower costs and likely higher scholarship levels to consider for any student.

Median at GULC and UT are both risky endeavors. Plenty of median kids can get biglaw, plenty of kids don't. Does just a few percentage point difference in biglaw/fed clerk (lazy to look up actually numbers but thought it was about right) make up for quite a large extra debt burden?

Also because I'm neurotic and want to defend my alma mater's honor, I will list the largest law firms in Houston along with how many UT/GULC/Cornell grads they have in their Houston office. Doing this will prove absolutely nothing and serve no other purpose than to stoke my own ego.

V&E: UT = 41 partners, 36 associates. GULC = 4 partners, 6 associates Cornell = 0

NRF: UT = 21 partners, 29 associates GULC = 2 partners, 2 associates Cornell = 0

Andrews Kurth: UT = lazy 10+ in both GULC = 0 partners, 1 associate Cornell = 0 (although I'll give them 1 counsel)

BB: UT = 20 partners, 24 associates GULC = 7 partners, 1 associate Cornell = 1 partner, 1 associate

Akin: UT = 13 partners, 5 associates GULC = 1 partner, 1 associate Cornell = 0

Latham: UT = 3 partners, 4 associates GULC = 2 partners, 3 associates (third partner only got LLM at GULC, JD was at SMU) Cornell = 1 partner, 2 associates (maybe another partner but he really looks like he is mostly chicago based)

Bracewell: UT = 23 partners, 17 associates GULC = 2 partners, 1 associate Cornell = 1 associate

What proof do you have that a student at GULC/Cornell who is at the median would not have a better chance at biglaw than a student at UT?

User avatar
existentialcrisis
Posts: 487
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:23 pm

Re: big law in houston? t-14 vs ut

Postby existentialcrisis » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:42 am

favabeansoup wrote:
Also because I'm neurotic and want to defend my alma mater's honor, I will list the largest law firms in Houston along with how many UT/GULC/Cornell grads they have in their Houston office. Doing this will prove absolutely nothing and serve no other purpose than to stoke my own ego.

V&E: UT = 41 partners, 36 associates. GULC = 4 partners, 6 associates Cornell = 0

NRF: UT = 21 partners, 29 associates GULC = 2 partners, 2 associates Cornell = 0

Andrews Kurth: UT = lazy 10+ in both GULC = 0 partners, 1 associate Cornell = 0 (although I'll give them 1 counsel)

BB: UT = 20 partners, 24 associates GULC = 7 partners, 1 associate Cornell = 1 partner, 1 associate

Akin: UT = 13 partners, 5 associates GULC = 1 partner, 1 associate Cornell = 0

Latham: UT = 3 partners, 4 associates GULC = 2 partners, 3 associates (third partner only got LLM at GULC, JD was at SMU) Cornell = 1 partner, 2 associates (maybe another partner but he really looks like he is mostly chicago based)

Bracewell: UT = 23 partners, 17 associates GULC = 2 partners, 1 associate Cornell = 1 associate


I don't necessarily think raw numbers here are all that helpful though. Of course, tons of UT students land Texas big law, it's a great school for TX big law, but it's impossible to control for self selection. A lot of people who want to work in Texas are going to be inclined to want to stay in Texas for school. Meanwhile, a school like Corenll is tiny, and presumably most people from there WANT NY, hence why they chose to go to school there.

Now granted, having Alumni hiring partners, etc. to fight for you at these firms can definitely be a good thing, but that also means that you'll be competing against basically all of your classmates for spots at these firms.

favabeansoup
Posts: 416
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:26 pm

Re: big law in houston? t-14 vs ut

Postby favabeansoup » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:07 pm

PrezRand wrote:What proof do you have that a student at GULC/Cornell who is at the median would not have a better chance at biglaw than a student at UT?


I'm playing devils advocate a little here because looking at just raw numbers is obviously misleading in a lot of ways. But, I could turn that question right back around on you.

What proof do we have that GULC/Cornell medians are more competitive than UT medians in **Houston** biglaw? (Not NYC /DC/Chicago biglaw, but Houston, which OP asked about).

I have sheer numbers on my side, we have UT dominating number of associates and partners in the biggest Houston firms, including hiring partners. Cornell has basically no presence in the market at all. GULC has somewhat more, but not close to the level of UT. Now surely a lot is self selection to other markets, but how do we actually know how much is self selection and how much is inability to get offers? I've offered some data, if you are going to argue it's all self selection and not similarly ranked UT kids beating out Cornell/GULC, some me some evidence to support that.

User avatar
PrezRand
Posts: 1572
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:31 pm

Re: big law in houston? t-14 vs ut

Postby PrezRand » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:15 pm

favabeansoup wrote:
PrezRand wrote:What proof do you have that a student at GULC/Cornell who is at the median would not have a better chance at biglaw than a student at UT?


I'm playing devils advocate a little here because looking at just raw numbers is obviously misleading in a lot of ways. But, I could turn that question right back around on you.

What proof do we have that GULC/Cornell medians are more competitive than UT medians in **Houston** biglaw? (Not NYC /DC/Chicago biglaw, but Houston, which OP asked about).

I have sheer numbers on my side, we have UT dominating number of associates and partners in the biggest Houston firms, including hiring partners. Cornell has basically no presence in the market at all. GULC has somewhat more, but not close to the level of UT. Now surely a lot is self selection to other markets, but how do we actually know how much is self selection and how much is inability to get offers? I've offered some data, if you are going to argue it's all self selection and not similarly ranked UT kids beating out Cornell/GULC, some me some evidence to support that.

All I have is anecdotal data from posters here and firms in TX. I'd hate to also say this, but the burden of proof kinda falls on you.

BigZuck
Posts: 11710
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: big law in houston? t-14 vs ut

Postby BigZuck » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:35 pm

Which specific firms on that list do you think it would be preferable to be a median UT student rather than a median GULCer?

User avatar
guynourmin
Posts: 3426
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:42 pm

Re: big law in houston? t-14 vs ut

Postby guynourmin » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:38 pm

favabeansoup wrote:
PrezRand wrote:What proof do you have that a student at GULC/Cornell who is at the median would not have a better chance at biglaw than a student at UT?


I'm playing devils advocate a little here because looking at just raw numbers is obviously misleading in a lot of ways.

I have sheer numbers on my side, we have UT dominating number of associates and partners in the biggest Houston firms, including hiring partners. Cornell has basically no presence in the market at all. GULC has somewhat more, but not close to the level of UT. Now surely a lot is self selection to other markets, but how do we actually know how much is self selection and how much is inability to get offers? I've offered some data, if you are going to argue it's all self selection and not similarly ranked UT kids beating out Cornell/GULC, some me some evidence to support that.


IMO, the absolute most "proof" we have is in that last year 67% of Cornell grads got BL or a fed clerkship, which means we know median students get those jobs. Texas placed 42%, which means we do NOT know median students get those jobs. I'm not saying they don't, but big law access is obviously open to the median Cornell grad and is not obviously open to the median UT grad.

You say UT has a dominating presence in Houston, which is fine, but that doesn't speak to whether or not any of those graduates were median students.

User avatar
Stanford4Me
Posts: 6221
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:23 am

Re: big law in houston? t-14 vs ut

Postby Stanford4Me » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:47 pm

I haven't read all the responses, and for that I apologize, but I wanted to offer my experience.

Went to NYU, strong Texas ties, worked for the Dallas office of a non-TX biglaw firm.

Our summer class had 20 people in it. 2 were from SMU (both at the very top of their class, one graudated No 1 overall), I believe 2 or 3 were from UT (top 25%) and the rest were from T-14 (of those I remember: Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, Chicago, NYU, Penn, Northwestern, Cornell, UVA). Similar trends in the Houston office of our firm (though with smaller numbers because of overall smaller office). Also, the only SAs who were 1Ls were from T-14 schools.

Look at placement data for the schools you're considering. I haven't done that in a while since I graudated 4 years ago, but one of my good friends who is a year younger than me and graduated from UT would often tell me about his friends who were having a difficult time finding any kind of work coming out of UT. This is obviously anecdotal, but it's something to consider.

From what I understand, graduating towards the top of your class at UT will get you TX biglaw (heck, I even have a buddy who transferred into UT from a lower-ranked school and ultimately ended up at Cravath), and there's more grades leeway at T-14, especially at the upper end of the T-14. I don't have data points to really distinguish much more between UT and, say, Cornell or Georgetown.

User avatar
PrezRand
Posts: 1572
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:31 pm

Re: big law in houston? t-14 vs ut

Postby PrezRand » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:49 pm

guybourdin wrote:
favabeansoup wrote:
PrezRand wrote:What proof do you have that a student at GULC/Cornell who is at the median would not have a better chance at biglaw than a student at UT?


I'm playing devils advocate a little here because looking at just raw numbers is obviously misleading in a lot of ways.

I have sheer numbers on my side, we have UT dominating number of associates and partners in the biggest Houston firms, including hiring partners. Cornell has basically no presence in the market at all. GULC has somewhat more, but not close to the level of UT. Now surely a lot is self selection to other markets, but how do we actually know how much is self selection and how much is inability to get offers? I've offered some data, if you are going to argue it's all self selection and not similarly ranked UT kids beating out Cornell/GULC, some me some evidence to support that.


IMO, the absolute most "proof" we have is in that last year 67% of Cornell grads got BL or a fed clerkship, which means we know median students get those jobs. Texas placed 42%, which means we do NOT know median students get those jobs. I'm not saying they don't, but big law access is obviously open to the median Cornell grad and is not obviously open to the median UT grad.

You say UT has a dominating presence in Houston, which is fine, but that doesn't speak to whether or not any of those graduates were median students.

The only reason UT has a dominating presence in the Texas market is because students from schools ranked higher than UT do not favor the Texas market. I think it is purely self-selection

User avatar
Stanford4Me
Posts: 6221
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:23 am

Re: big law in houston? t-14 vs ut

Postby Stanford4Me » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:51 pm

favabeansoup wrote:
If you are actually committed to houston, go to UT if you get a decent scholarship. If you are considering other markets, I'd go to lower T-14.

+1 to this.

User avatar
Stanford4Me
Posts: 6221
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:23 am

Re: big law in houston? t-14 vs ut

Postby Stanford4Me » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:05 pm

PrezRand wrote:The only reason UT has a dominating presence in the Texas market is because students from schools ranked higher than UT do not favor the Texas market. I think it is purely self-selection

I did the math for NYU based on my knowledge, and less than 3% of students from classes 2012, 2013 (my year), and 2014 chose Texas as their primary target. 100% of them ended up in biglaw at some point.

User avatar
PrezRand
Posts: 1572
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:31 pm

Re: big law in houston? t-14 vs ut

Postby PrezRand » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:26 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:
PrezRand wrote:The only reason UT has a dominating presence in the Texas market is because students from schools ranked higher than UT do not favor the Texas market. I think it is purely self-selection

I did the math for NYU based on my knowledge, and less than 3% of students from classes 2012, 2013 (my year), and 2014 chose Texas as their primary target. 100% of them ended up in biglaw at some point.

That makes sense.

favabeansoup
Posts: 416
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:26 pm

Re: big law in houston? t-14 vs ut

Postby favabeansoup » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:47 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:
favabeansoup wrote:
If you are actually committed to houston, go to UT if you get a decent scholarship. If you are considering other markets, I'd go to lower T-14.

+1 to this.


Yeah, I don't want to get to much in the weeds over biglaw chances at median (excuse my neurotic number crunching)

This is my main point though, thank you for reminding me of it. UT's power comes not only in strong Texas ties, but also with the substantial lower cost and higher probability of bigger scholarships compared to a GULC, etc. If I had numbers for little to no money at lower T-14 but a substantial scholarship at UT, I'd take UT 10 out of 10 if I was committed to Texas work.

uhwrestler
Posts: 279
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:44 pm

Re: big law in houston? t-14 vs ut

Postby uhwrestler » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:39 pm

my number one goal is to work in big law in Houston

lets forget about debt and prestige and purely go on the probability of getting big law
lets assume i will be a median student or even below median but definitely not a top student
so far i have been accepted into georgtown, cornell, uh,and anticipating ut acceptance soon
(obviously if i get into chicago or columbia or higher t14 this wont be a problem)

i live in houston and went to undergrad here so i have roots here

what school would you guys choose of you were me under these conditions?

User avatar
Stanford4Me
Posts: 6221
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:23 am

Re: big law in houston? t-14 vs ut

Postby Stanford4Me » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:54 pm

uhwrestler wrote:my number one goal is to work in big law in Houston

lets forget about debt and prestige and purely go on the probability of getting big law
lets assume i will be a median student or even below median but definitely not a top student
so far i have been accepted into georgtown, cornell, uh,and anticipating ut acceptance soon
(obviously if i get into chicago or columbia or higher t14 this wont be a problem)

i live in houston and went to undergrad here so i have roots here

what school would you guys choose of you were me under these conditions?

I emailed my buddy who graduated from UT and here's what he said:

"If going purely on getting a Houston big law job, I’d say lower T-14 and UT are the same.

The Lower T-14 doesn’t hold much of an advantage over UT for Texas jobs. During callbacks, there was little to no difference in Georgetown or UT. That being said, the upper T-14 like NYU, Chicago and Columbia are different animals. I don’t know much about Cornell as I don’t think I’ve ever ran into anybody that has graduated from there.

To give perspective on the UT experience, I graduated top 40% (so very clearly a median student) and received 9 interviews and 5 callbacks and landed a nice gig at a regional firm on the small side of big law. Any lower than me and it became really hard to land a big law gig. Students who were top 25% or above at UT maxed out their interviews and often had the pick of the liter as far as Big law jobs and Houston recruits very hard at UT."

uhwrestler
Posts: 279
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:44 pm

Re: big law in houston? t-14 vs ut

Postby uhwrestler » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:08 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:
uhwrestler wrote:my number one goal is to work in big law in Houston

lets forget about debt and prestige and purely go on the probability of getting big law
lets assume i will be a median student or even below median but definitely not a top student
so far i have been accepted into georgtown, cornell, uh,and anticipating ut acceptance soon
(obviously if i get into chicago or columbia or higher t14 this wont be a problem)

i live in houston and went to undergrad here so i have roots here

what school would you guys choose of you were me under these conditions?

I emailed my buddy who graduated from UT and here's what he said:

"If going purely on getting a Houston big law job, I’d say lower T-14 and UT are the same.

The Lower T-14 doesn’t hold much of an advantage over UT for Texas jobs. During callbacks, there was little to no difference in Georgetown or UT. That being said, the upper T-14 like NYU, Chicago and Columbia are different animals. I don’t know much about Cornell as I don’t think I’ve ever ran into anybody that has graduated from there.

To give perspective on the UT experience, I graduated top 40% (so very clearly a median student) and received 9 interviews and 5 callbacks and landed a nice gig at a regional firm on the small side of big law. Any lower than me and it became really hard to land a big law gig. Students who were top 25% or above at UT maxed out their interviews and often had the pick of the liter as far as Big law jobs and Houston recruits very hard at UT."



thanks for the reply....hopefully my "problem" will be easily solved by getting admitted to a higher t14 lol

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 17158
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: big law in houston? t-14 vs ut

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:28 pm

uhwrestler wrote:my number one goal is to work in big law in Houston

lets forget about debt and prestige and purely go on the probability of getting big law
lets assume i will be a median student or even below median but definitely not a top student
so far i have been accepted into georgtown, cornell, uh,and anticipating ut acceptance soon
(obviously if i get into chicago or columbia or higher t14 this wont be a problem)

i live in houston and went to undergrad here so i have roots here

what school would you guys choose of you were me under these conditions?

What's your number 2 goal? Your chances of Houston biglaw are probably similar from UT and the T-14, but your odds of landing a biglaw job outside of Texas go way up at the T-14. If you'd rather do small law than non-TX biglaw, you're likely better positioned for that from UT.

uhwrestler
Posts: 279
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:44 pm

Re: big law in houston? t-14 vs ut

Postby uhwrestler » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:45 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
uhwrestler wrote:my number one goal is to work in big law in Houston

lets forget about debt and prestige and purely go on the probability of getting big law
lets assume i will be a median student or even below median but definitely not a top student
so far i have been accepted into georgtown, cornell, uh,and anticipating ut acceptance soon
(obviously if i get into chicago or columbia or higher t14 this wont be a problem)

i live in houston and went to undergrad here so i have roots here

what school would you guys choose of you were me under these conditions?

What's your number 2 goal? Your chances of Houston biglaw are probably similar from UT and the T-14, but your odds of landing a biglaw job outside of Texas go way up at the T-14. If you'd rather do small law than non-TX biglaw, you're likely better positioned for that from UT.


big law 180k or bust for me personally...honestly though any private firm job that pays higher than 100k but very preferably 180 k in houston....but im willing to work in the city that my school is located in so washington for georgetown or new york for cornell as long as its 180k job

dallinpackard
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:27 pm

Re: big law in houston? t-14 vs ut

Postby dallinpackard » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:59 pm

I'm hopping onto this post, because I'm in a similar situation. I'm deadset on Houston, but have a pretty good shot at getting accepted into Columbia. Based what I've heard it sounds like Columbia > UT for biglaw placement in Houston, but it's kind of been a side topic. What are y'alls thoughts?

User avatar
poptart123
Posts: 1115
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:31 pm

Re: big law in houston? t-14 vs ut

Postby poptart123 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:14 pm

dallinpackard wrote:I'm hopping onto this post, because I'm in a similar situation. I'm deadset on Houston, but have a pretty good shot at getting accepted into Columbia. Based what I've heard it sounds like Columbia > UT for biglaw placement in Houston, but it's kind of been a side topic. What are y'alls thoughts?


Columbia over UT for biglaw, but don't go to Columbia unless the price is right.

User avatar
Pneumonia
Posts: 1811
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:05 pm

Re: big law in houston? t-14 vs ut

Postby Pneumonia » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:16 pm

dallinpackard wrote:I'm hopping onto this post, because I'm in a similar situation. I'm deadset on Houston, but have a pretty good shot at getting accepted into Columbia. Based what I've heard it sounds like Columbia > UT for biglaw placement in Houston, but it's kind of been a side topic. What are y'alls thoughts?

Columbia will give you a much, much better shot at Houston BigLaw. (Of course, you've still gotta consider debt, ties, etc.)

dallinpackard
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:27 pm

Re: big law in houston? t-14 vs ut

Postby dallinpackard » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:23 pm

poptart123 wrote:
dallinpackard wrote:I'm hopping onto this post, because I'm in a similar situation. I'm deadset on Houston, but have a pretty good shot at getting accepted into Columbia. Based what I've heard it sounds like Columbia > UT for biglaw placement in Houston, but it's kind of been a side topic. What are y'alls thoughts?


Columbia over UT for biglaw, but don't go to Columbia unless the price is right.


I don't know if I'll get any merit based scholarships (3.61 GPA 172 LSAT) but I'm pretty sure I can get some need based financial aid. What would the "right price" be? I'm anticipating some debt, but if I can get a $180k in Houston I don't mind paying it off. We're used to living frugally:p

Also, I definitely have ties to Houston. My wife and I both grew up there and both of our families are in/near the downtown area.

User avatar
thisiswater
Posts: 1064
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 1:51 am

Re: big law in houston? t-14 vs ut

Postby thisiswater » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:36 pm

at my recent Houston transplant office, UVA is the best represented t14 then GULC then duke then a pretty even mix of the others. Only talking about associates here




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest