big law in houston? t-14 vs ut Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
UVA2B

Gold

Re: big law in houston? t-14 vs ut

Post by UVA2B » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:42 pm

dallinpackard wrote:I'm hopping onto this post, because I'm in a similar situation. I'm deadset on Houston, but have a pretty good shot at getting accepted into Columbia. Based what I've heard it sounds like Columbia > UT for biglaw placement in Houston, but it's kind of been a side topic. What are y'alls thoughts?
Your question is binary, and this decision isn't at all binary. You seem set on ending up in Texas, so you should focus on schools that do well there. It's not a "Columbia vs. UT" discussion. It's a relative cost-benefit analysis. Your numbers put you squarely in the position where you should apply to the T14 (and I'm including UT in this, and might as well include Vandy just for full coverage), and figure out your best choice once you have options. Right now you have no options. Columbia vs. UT is not a choice most will have to make. Columbia for $250k vs. Duke for $100k vs. UT for $50K may be. But until you know what those options are, this is all pretty pointless.

dallinpackard

New

Post by dallinpackard » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:59 pm

UVA2B wrote:
dallinpackard wrote:I'm hopping onto this post, because I'm in a similar situation. I'm deadset on Houston, but have a pretty good shot at getting accepted into Columbia. Based what I've heard it sounds like Columbia > UT for biglaw placement in Houston, but it's kind of been a side topic. What are y'alls thoughts?
Your question is binary, and this decision isn't at all binary. You seem set on ending up in Texas, so you should focus on schools that do well there. It's not a "Columbia vs. UT" discussion. It's a relative cost-benefit analysis. Your numbers put you squarely in the position where you should apply to the T14 (and I'm including UT in this, and might as well include Vandy just for full coverage), and figure out your best choice once you have options. Right now you have no options. Columbia vs. UT is not a choice most will have to make. Columbia for $250k vs. Duke for $100k vs. UT for $50K may be. But until you know what those options are, this is all pretty pointless.
That's fair. I'll come back with some offers in a few months! Thanks

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:22 pm

dallinpackard wrote:
poptart123 wrote:
Columbia over UT for biglaw, but don't go to Columbia unless the price is right.
I don't know if I'll get any merit based scholarships (3.61 GPA 172 LSAT) but I'm pretty sure I can get some need based financial aid. What would the "right price" be? I'm anticipating some debt, but if I can get a $180k in Houston I don't mind paying it off. We're used to living frugally:p

Also, I definitely have ties to Houston. My wife and I both grew up there and both of our families are in/near the downtown area.
I'm not sure about how much you will get or what the right price will be. You will definitely get into UT and some T14, though. It's hard to say what the right price is without knowing it in relation to your other offers. Good luck with your applications! Hopefully you get lots of money.

Edit: Scooped.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:52 pm

Yeah in this Columbia vs UT hypo the correct answer is almost certainly Duke

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:21 pm

BigZuck wrote:Yeah in this Columbia vs UT hypo the correct answer is almost certainly Duke
This

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”