$ave Dat Money - Unofficial 2016-2017 Financial Aid Discussion

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
pyramidenergy888

New

Re: $ave Dat Money - Unofficial 2016-2017 Financial Aid Discussion

Postby pyramidenergy888 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:08 pm

brinicolec wrote:
pyramidenergy888 wrote:What about saying like "I guarantee I will matriculate if you give me X amount of money"? Does that ever work?

I would only recommend going this route if you actually mean it lol. I think something more along the lines of, "As I will be paying for my education myself (assuming you will), I have concerns about financing so much of my education via loans. This has caused me to look into other schools' offers [list offers in a way that makes sense]. However, [x] still remains my first choice and I would really like to matriculate here. If [x] is able to provide more aid (maybe be more specific if you honestly do have a specific number that is necessary), I am fully prepared to make my seat deposit (or something like that)."

Of course I would only say that if I meant it. At a certain point, they gotta make it affordable and it doesn't matter how much I want to go -- I can't pay more than like 10k a year MAX in tuition so I'm hoping I can just say that to them. In exchange I would offer a guaranteed matriculation.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:14 pm

pyramidenergy888 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
pyramidenergy888 wrote:What about saying like "I guarantee I will matriculate if you give me X amount of money"? Does that ever work?

I would only recommend going this route if you actually mean it lol. I think something more along the lines of, "As I will be paying for my education myself (assuming you will), I have concerns about financing so much of my education via loans. This has caused me to look into other schools' offers [list offers in a way that makes sense]. However, [x] still remains my first choice and I would really like to matriculate here. If [x] is able to provide more aid (maybe be more specific if you honestly do have a specific number that is necessary), I am fully prepared to make my seat deposit (or something like that)."

Of course I would only say that if I meant it. At a certain point, they gotta make it affordable and it doesn't matter how much I want to go -- I can't pay more than like 10k a year MAX in tuition so I'm hoping I can just say that to them. In exchange I would offer a guaranteed matriculation.

Hm, I think as long as you're being realistic about how your stats fall/what other people are offering you, that's fine.

nyu2019maybeplease

Bronze

Postby nyu2019maybeplease » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:36 pm

If you're sure, do it. The more information the school has, easier things are for them. They don't want to tie money up on uncertainty at this stage of the game.

pyramidenergy888 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

20171lhopeful

Bronze

Postby 20171lhopeful » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:33 pm

for NYU/Columbia financial aid forms, when they ask about the quantity of aid received as an undergraduate--are we supposed to include school specific aid + federal aid amount, or do they only care about federal aid (loans and grants)?

airwrecka

Silver

Postby airwrecka » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:50 pm

20171lhopeful wrote:for NYU/Columbia financial aid forms, when they ask about the quantity of aid received as an undergraduate--are we supposed to include school specific aid + federal aid amount, or do they only care about federal aid (loans and grants)?

I think you're supposed to include school specific aid, too. I included the scholarship I had to my undergrad, at least. Better to give them too much info than not enough (as long as you clarify how you received the aid--from where, whether it was a loan or scholarship, etc).

But I'm a 0L so take this with a grain of salt!

20171lhopeful

Bronze

Postby 20171lhopeful » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:51 pm

airwrecka wrote:
20171lhopeful wrote:for NYU/Columbia financial aid forms, when they ask about the quantity of aid received as an undergraduate--are we supposed to include school specific aid + federal aid amount, or do they only care about federal aid (loans and grants)?

I think you're supposed to include school specific aid, too. I included the scholarship I had to my undergrad, at least. Better to give them too much info than not enough (as long as you clarify how you received the aid--from where, whether it was a loan or scholarship, etc).

But I'm a 0L so take this with a grain of salt!

ok I figured that but just wanted to confirm. Thanks!

Sarastro

Bronze

Postby Sarastro » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:05 pm

This seems like a good thread to ask stupid questions in. I tricked some law schools into accepting me, but they're making me pay for part of it. Pretty crazy if you ask me.

I hear a lot about loans, but what is the physical process of going from me today/sitting at work to me sometime in the future/turning in a briefcase of cash to a school for tuition? I've sent the FAFSA in at a few places and some of them have vaguely pointed me towards the Stafford/gradPLUS stuff, but what do I have to do to actually let the people giving out those loans know I want them? Is that a school-specific process? Is there a federal form somewhere I have to tick the "money me!" box on? When, typically, do I have to get all that settled? I assume schools are happy to help with this kind of thing because they want to be paid, but I'm figuratively having nightmares that I'll wake up one day and the school will want their money, but I forgot to get a loan in time.

I was hoping to not have to reach out to financial aid offices about this kind of stuff until after the negotiating bit, but I'm having trouble finding other resources. I was fortunate enough to not have to deal with this for UG, but that's catching up to me now..

cavalier1138

Platinum

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:19 pm

Sarastro wrote:This seems like a good thread to ask stupid questions in. I tricked some law schools into accepting me, but they're making me pay for part of it. Pretty crazy if you ask me.

I hear a lot about loans, but what is the physical process of going from me today/sitting at work to me sometime in the future/turning in a briefcase of cash to a school for tuition? I've sent the FAFSA in at a few places and some of them have vaguely pointed me towards the Stafford/gradPLUS stuff, but what do I have to do to actually let the people giving out those loans know I want them? Is that a school-specific process? Is there a federal form somewhere I have to tick the "money me!" box on? When, typically, do I have to get all that settled? I assume schools are happy to help with this kind of thing because they want to be paid, but I'm figuratively having nightmares that I'll wake up one day and the school will want their money, but I forgot to get a loan in time.

I was hoping to not have to reach out to financial aid offices about this kind of stuff until after the negotiating bit, but I'm having trouble finding other resources. I was fortunate enough to not have to deal with this for UG, but that's catching up to me now..

Once you've actually accepted an offer from a school, you need to make sure they have your FAFSA and that the FAFSA information is correct. The bursar's office takes care of the rest, and the school distributes your loans on whatever schedule they decide to use (usually per semester). The loans go to the bursar first, and they take out anything that you owe for tuition and fees. Then the remaining money (COL, books, etc.) goes to you.

Sarastro

Bronze

Postby Sarastro » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:24 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Sarastro wrote:This seems like a good thread to ask stupid questions in. I tricked some law schools into accepting me, but they're making me pay for part of it. Pretty crazy if you ask me.

Once you've actually accepted an offer from a school, you need to make sure they have your FAFSA and that the FAFSA information is correct. The bursar's office takes care of the rest, and the school distributes your loans on whatever schedule they decide to use (usually per semester). The loans go to the bursar first, and they take out anything that you owe for tuition and fees. Then the remaining money (COL, books, etc.) goes to you.

I assume there's a step in there somewhere where I have to tell someone how much I want to take out? But you're saying the school will take the initiative in handling all of that?

Leliana

Bronze

Postby Leliana » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:25 pm

I think if you've already sent in your FAFSA things should be relatively straightforward with regard to federal loans (Stafford/GradPLUS). Schools will use your FAFSA to calculate how much you'll need to take out in loans when putting together your aid package. This probably varies somewhat from school to school, but my general understanding is that following the offer of your aid package, there will be forms to fill out/sign/submit (which the school will surely let you know about especially re: deadlines and such; you also have to do "Loan Counseling" on the Dept. of Education's website before your loans can be disbursed to you), then the school will process your loans from the federal government over the summer, and disburse them to you at the beginning of the term.

cavalier1138

Platinum

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:27 pm

Sarastro wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

I assume there's a step in there somewhere where I have to tell someone how much I want to take out? But you're saying the school will take the initiative in handling all of that?

Yes. The school will show you what you can take out (so full student budget for a semester minus any scholarships), and you can either take out the full amount or opt to reduce your loan amount. But you can't tell them you want to take out more than the school's student budget unless you ask your Financial Aid office for an increase, which usually involves you proving that you need an increase for a reason that isn't "I want to live in a luxury condo".

Sarastro

Bronze

Postby Sarastro » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:32 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:

Leliana wrote:

Alright, thanks guys. One less thing to be neurotic about.

Return to “Choosing a Law School�