GWU vs Emory

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school shoud I cut from my list?

Emory
25%
GWU
75%

Total votes: 8

Southend97

New

GWU vs Emory

Postby Southend97 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:58 am

I'm considering taking one of these schools off of my list of schools to apply to and I'm leaning towards cutting Emory.

Emory has a lower NLJ 250 ranking (GWU places 5% more graduates)

http://tippingthescales.com/2015/02/the ... w-schools/

Emory has fewer graduates that go into government, a lower overall employment score and is in Georgia when I'd much rather be in DC. However I've heard negative things about GWU law school and I know the DC market is the toughest in the nation and the Atlanta market is easier to get into. Also GWU would make me able to get jobs in more markets whereas with Emory I would be confined to the South.
Last edited by Southend97 on Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Platinum

Re: GWU vs Emory

Postby cavalier1138 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:27 am

It sounds like your career ambitions are in government, although it would be nice if you could be more specific about that. What kind of government work do you want to do?

Either school will confine you to a regional market, and you're correct about DC being the tougher market to get into.

Southend97

New

Postby Southend97 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:57 pm

It sounds like your career ambitions are in government, although it would be nice if you could be more specific about that. What kind of government work do you want to do?

Either school will confine you to a regional market, and you're correct about DC being the tougher market to get into.

Well the goal is big law but government work is definitely not something I would be opposed to doing. GWU is better for both really, I'm just concerned about how tough the DC market is, especially since GWU is ranked lower than Georgetown and if GWU could give me more opportunity to go other markets (NYC, Texas(home state, lots of ties)) than Emory would. I guess I'm wondering if the DC market is tough enough to say that I'm more likely to get a big law job out of Emory even though it has a lower NLJ 250 ranking and puts 5% less graduates in big law firms.

cavalier1138

Platinum

Postby cavalier1138 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:14 pm

Southend97 wrote:

Well the goal is big law but government work is definitely not something I would be opposed to doing. GWU is better for both really, I'm just concerned about how tough the DC market is, especially since GWU is ranked lower than Georgetown and if GWU could give me more opportunity to go other markets (NYC, Texas(home state, lots of ties)) than Emory would. I guess I'm wondering if the DC market is tough enough to say that I'm more likely to get a big law job out of Emory even though it has a lower NLJ 250 ranking and puts 5% less graduates in big law firms.

If the goal is biglaw, then neither of these schools is a good choice, period. Neither of these schools will get you a biglaw job, and neither school is better for going to other markets, because they'll both force you into their respective regions.

What's your LSAT/GPA?

trebekismyhero

Silver

Postby trebekismyhero » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:16 pm

Big law is tough for either and government is definitely easier from GW, but a good FedGov position is harder to get than big law and will probably be more so with the new administration. How much debt are you looking at from GW and Emory respectively? GW probably has a slightly higher national name than Emory, but both really just play into their regions. They are both good schools, but you shouldn't pay more than $100k for either

Southend97

New

Postby Southend97 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:20 pm

What's your LSAT/GPA?

AA male 3.31, 161, large TX state school (not UT Austin)

How much debt are you looking at from GW and Emory respectively

I don't graduate until December 2017 so I have a while to get my GPA and LSAT up but due to that I haven't actually applied to these schools yet. I have a list of 13 schools and my mother is not rich and my father recently had major surgery and he doesn't make as much money as he used to so unless I get fee waivers I probably can't apply to all of these schools. Also I think if I apply to less schools, my applications will be of higher quality because I'll be able to focus more on those specific schools. I'm applying to more prestigious schools but I feel like GWU and Emory are similar schools so 1 should be cut from my list.

If the goal is biglaw, then neither of these schools is a good choice, period.

Like I said I plan on applying to more prestigious schools. You're right, big law chances aren't good from either school but I still would like to know which one gives me a better chance given both schools NLJ 250 ranking and how hard it is to break into their markets.

cavalier1138

Platinum

Postby cavalier1138 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:31 pm

Just retake the LSAT and stop asking questions with no good answer.

Asking which of those schools gives you a better shot at DC biglaw is like asking which brand of golf club gives you a better chance at qualifying for the Masters. You need to have better goals. As a URM, a few points up on the LSAT will get you into UT, which will give you fantastic Texas outcomes. A few points higher than that, and you're looking at T14 options.

studyingeveryday

Silver

Postby studyingeveryday » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:58 pm

Definitely retake the LSAT! Especially since that was only your first take, you should definitely give it a second go. Don't take it until you're averaging at least a few points higher than where you want to be. Since you're a URM with biglaw goals, I think you should have okay chances with a minimum of 165+ (unless I'm mistaken) but try to go for high 160s or 170 if you can, especially since you also need scholarship money.

Return to “Choosing a Law School�