What is the vaule of Laws school Just outside T14

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Nebby

Diamond

Re: What is the vaule of Laws school Just outside T14

Postby Nebby » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:45 pm

SunDevil14 wrote:
Nebby wrote:
SunDevil14 wrote:
SolRs wrote:If you're goal is big law in the NE, of course ranking matters.

That said, I feel like I need to chime in and defend some of the other schools. You can make awesome money and be extremely successful going to a mid-range school. I've worked at a prestigious regional law firm for the past 5 years and only 2 attorneys went to T14. The others all went to mid and even low level schools (I don't recommend going anywhere 100+, but it is nice to see some of them still be successful). Anyways, the attorneys are making 250-400k and are very well known for their quality work.

Though being T14 gives you a huge step up, much of your success is what you do with it and the connections you make in law school and post-law school.

So.... I think being just outside T14 is perfectly fine, particularly for those who don't have their heart set on NE big law. Plus, many of the regional schools are going to be able to offer you much more in terms of networking if you want to stay in that area. Eg. If you want to work in Oregon or Colorado, I think it's smart to go to an Oregon or Colorado school. Sure, T14 will give you a bump in those areas, but they won't overrule good networking throughout and right after school.

If it was between paying full tuition for a T10 or getting 50-70% scholarship for a T15-20, I'd take the 15-20. Of course that's a personal opinion, but I have no desire to work at cut throat big law.

Thanks, what you and acr have described seems confirm the general vibe I was getting, which is essentially a large scholarship can outweigh smaller or no scholarships at T14 schools. Especially considering if you're ambitions are not solely big law, combined with the fact that you do well in your class, and have a desire to work in a particular region.

I also think that curry1 makes some great points, though he/she seems a bit harsh, but perhaps that is the prerogative of cutthroat NE big law. So the vibe I am getting is that if one is "big-law or bust," attending schools outside the T14 could significantly hurt your chances. Furthermore, large scholarship offers, and good performance in your class may not readily overcome the initial detriment of not attending a T14 school, let alone a T6 school.

Seems to sum it all up?

curry is actually just an goober and should be ignored tbqh

Lol :lol: TBH I think there is a good chance that he was in frat as an undergrad...

Ah, so you're a member too?

SunDevil14

Bronze

Postby SunDevil14 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:04 pm

Nebby wrote:
SunDevil14 wrote:
Nebby wrote:
SunDevil14 wrote:
SolRs wrote:If you're goal is big law in the NE, of course ranking matters.

That said, I feel like I need to chime in and defend some of the other schools. You can make awesome money and be extremely successful going to a mid-range school. I've worked at a prestigious regional law firm for the past 5 years and only 2 attorneys went to T14. The others all went to mid and even low level schools (I don't recommend going anywhere 100+, but it is nice to see some of them still be successful). Anyways, the attorneys are making 250-400k and are very well known for their quality work.

Though being T14 gives you a huge step up, much of your success is what you do with it and the connections you make in law school and post-law school.

So.... I think being just outside T14 is perfectly fine, particularly for those who don't have their heart set on NE big law. Plus, many of the regional schools are going to be able to offer you much more in terms of networking if you want to stay in that area. Eg. If you want to work in Oregon or Colorado, I think it's smart to go to an Oregon or Colorado school. Sure, T14 will give you a bump in those areas, but they won't overrule good networking throughout and right after school.

If it was between paying full tuition for a T10 or getting 50-70% scholarship for a T15-20, I'd take the 15-20. Of course that's a personal opinion, but I have no desire to work at cut throat big law.

Thanks, what you and acr have described seems confirm the general vibe I was getting, which is essentially a large scholarship can outweigh smaller or no scholarships at T14 schools. Especially considering if you're ambitions are not solely big law, combined with the fact that you do well in your class, and have a desire to work in a particular region.

I also think that curry1 makes some great points, though he/she seems a bit harsh, but perhaps that is the prerogative of cutthroat NE big law. So the vibe I am getting is that if one is "big-law or bust," attending schools outside the T14 could significantly hurt your chances. Furthermore, large scholarship offers, and good performance in your class may not readily overcome the initial detriment of not attending a T14 school, let alone a T6 school.

Seems to sum it all up?

curry is actually just an goober and should be ignored tbqh

Lol :lol: TBH I think there is a good chance that he was in frat as an undergrad...

Ah, so you're a member too?

haha. Top House Bruh

Informative

Bronze

Postby Informative » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:40 pm

SunDevil14 wrote:How exactly do the schools ranked 15-20ish match up to the T14? I know that University Texas-Austin, UCLA, Vanderbilt are occasionally thrown it to conversation as top law schools, whereas some of the others that fluctuate in the high teens/low are merely great regional schools in a different league.

What exactly is the criteria? Employment, Placement, Medium Income, Mobility, a combo the factors mentioned as well as others, etc. It's pretty hard to get the full story just based on the rankings, which surely are not static. The differences between the schools mentioned above and others a few steps down the rankings do not seem to be best captured by the small differential in relative rankings.

It depends on what you want to do. If you want biglaw, the best placing schools outside of the t14 are as follows (percentage of class into BL):

Vandy: 47%
UCLA: 45%
UT: 42%
Boston C: 41%
Notre Dame: 40%
USC: 38%
GW: 35%
Fordham: 35%

BigZuck

Diamond

Postby BigZuck » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:23 pm

Informative wrote:
SunDevil14 wrote:How exactly do the schools ranked 15-20ish match up to the T14? I know that University Texas-Austin, UCLA, Vanderbilt are occasionally thrown it to conversation as top law schools, whereas some of the others that fluctuate in the high teens/low are merely great regional schools in a different league.

What exactly is the criteria? Employment, Placement, Medium Income, Mobility, a combo the factors mentioned as well as others, etc. It's pretty hard to get the full story just based on the rankings, which surely are not static. The differences between the schools mentioned above and others a few steps down the rankings do not seem to be best captured by the small differential in relative rankings.

It depends on what you want to do. If you want biglaw, the best placing schools outside of the t14 are as follows (percentage of class into BL):

Vandy: 47%
UCLA: 45%
UT: 42%
Boston C: 41%
Notre Dame: 40%
USC: 38%
GW: 35%
Fordham: 35%

Stop bumping threads for no reason you silly goose

Return to “Choosing a Law School�