HLS vs. NYU for v10 BigLaw

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
xn3345

New
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:49 pm

HLS vs. NYU for v10 BigLaw

Postby xn3345 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:52 pm

I get that HLS is more prestigious, but can anyone point me in the direction of some data (anecdotal or otherwise) that shows that it's easier to land a V10 firm from there than NYU or Columbia?

lawlorbust

Bronze
Posts: 425
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:50 am

Re: HLS vs. NYU for v10 BigLaw

Postby lawlorbust » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:10 am

One anecdote: it's conventional wisdom at HLS that median grades (3Hs) is competitive for NYC V10 (that it, having those grades will leave it up to interviewing skills and other softs), and that below average grades (2Hs) doesn't foreclose the possibility. Within this group, Cravath, DPW, and Gibson have the reputation of being slightly more grade selective, S&C more so, and WLRK is on a different level of selectivity.
Last edited by lawlorbust on Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
existentialcrisis

Bronze
Posts: 493
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:23 pm

Re: HLS vs. NYU for v10 BigLaw

Postby existentialcrisis » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:15 am

xn3345 wrote:I get that HLS is more prestigious, but can anyone point me in the direction of some data (anecdotal or otherwise) that shows that it's easier to land a V10 firm from there than NYU or Columbia?


This is assuming that V10 is a meaningful distinction. It IS probably easier to land the most selective firms from Harvard.

Nebby

Diamond
Posts: 31199
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: HLS vs. NYU for v10 BigLaw

Postby Nebby » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:16 am

Go to NYU or Columbia for less debt so at least you won't feel tied to a job you'll hate. Median grades from NYU and CLS can get v10 so long as you're not a terrible interviewer. Also, why do you want to go to a v10? You realize that the prestige chase ends in law school and you should choose a post grad based on what you'll enjoy, not to measure your self esteem against.

User avatar
cdotson2

Silver
Posts: 853
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:06 am

Re: HLS vs. NYU for v10 BigLaw

Postby cdotson2 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:19 am

I have heard of people getting Skadden with all P's at H, but I don't know them personally or have actual statistics.

User avatar
hangold

New
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:25 am

Re: HLS vs. NYU for v10 BigLaw

Postby hangold » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:33 am

I doubt you will find statistical evidence of V10 placement by school, given the arbitrariness of that label. The links below provide some statistics regarding employment outcomes. Although NYU and CLS send a greater percentage of their students to biglaw, that doesn't account for the fact that many HLS'ers self-select out of pursuing a biglaw career.

It is definitely possible to get V10 with median grades from NYU/CLS (more likely from less grade-selective firms like Skadden or L&W). However, I don't think you should get too caught up in this "V10" distinction. Practice groups and the firm's specific office are arguably more significant. For instance, Covington DC's white collar group is just as well regarded as a "V10" firm.

https://www.lstreports.com/schools/harvard/jobs/

https://www.lstreports.com/schools/nyu/jobs/

https://www.lstreports.com/schools/columbia/jobs/

User avatar
First Offense

Platinum
Posts: 7091
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:45 pm

Re: HLS vs. NYU for v10 BigLaw

Postby First Offense » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:13 am

If you don't get to HLS you'll be stuck toiling at shitholes like Weil, Paul Weiss, and Covington.

User avatar
jbagelboy

Diamond
Posts: 10276
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: HLS vs. NYU for v10 BigLaw

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:55 pm

If your goal is to work at a prestigious New York biglaw firm and you get a big scholarship at NYU, this is one of the scenarios where it's worth taking it over HLS (whereas the recruitment advantages at Harvard grow as you expand to other markets and jobs other than large firms). HLS and CLS have a narrow edge over NYU in hiring at certain selective firms (which is why they are always the biggest representation in the summer and starting class), but these are minute distinctions to draw; how well you do in school will have far more impact than where you go to school at this level.

BigZuck

Diamond
Posts: 11731
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: HLS vs. NYU for v10 BigLaw

Postby BigZuck » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:20 pm

jbagelboy wrote:If your goal is to work at a prestigious New York biglaw firm and you get a big scholarship at NYU, this is one of the scenarios where it's worth taking it over HLS (whereas the recruitment advantages at Harvard grow as you expand to other markets and jobs other than large firms). HLS and CLS have a narrow edge over NYU in hiring at certain selective firms (which is why they are always the biggest representation in the summer and starting class), but these are minute distinctions to draw; how well you do in school will have far more impact than where you go to school at this level.

Simultaneously distancing Columbia from NYU and inching it closer to Harvard, all in one post.

Nice

addie1412

Silver
Posts: 559
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:43 pm

Re: HLS vs. NYU for v10 BigLaw

Postby addie1412 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:02 pm

.
Last edited by addie1412 on Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shadowfax

Bronze
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:39 pm

Re: HLS vs. NYU for v10 BigLaw

Postby shadowfax » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:04 pm

BigZuck wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:If your goal is to work at a prestigious New York biglaw firm and you get a big scholarship at NYU, this is one of the scenarios where it's worth taking it over HLS (whereas the recruitment advantages at Harvard grow as you expand to other markets and jobs other than large firms). HLS and CLS have a narrow edge over NYU in hiring at certain selective firms (which is why they are always the biggest representation in the summer and starting class), but these are minute distinctions to draw; how well you do in school will have far more impact than where you go to school at this level.

Simultaneously distancing Columbia from NYU and inching it closer to Harvard, all in one post.

Nice


Brilliant with a just the right touch of snarky...while correct none-the-less.

User avatar
jbagelboy

Diamond
Posts: 10276
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: HLS vs. NYU for v10 BigLaw

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:15 pm

shadowfax wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:If your goal is to work at a prestigious New York biglaw firm and you get a big scholarship at NYU, this is one of the scenarios where it's worth taking it over HLS (whereas the recruitment advantages at Harvard grow as you expand to other markets and jobs other than large firms). HLS and CLS have a narrow edge over NYU in hiring at certain selective firms (which is why they are always the biggest representation in the summer and starting class), but these are minute distinctions to draw; how well you do in school will have far more impact than where you go to school at this level.

Simultaneously distancing Columbia from NYU and inching it closer to Harvard, all in one post.

Nice


Brilliant with a just the right touch of snarky...while correct none-the-less.


Ive been around a while.

Nebby

Diamond
Posts: 31199
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: HLS vs. NYU for v10 BigLaw

Postby Nebby » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:24 pm

addie1412 wrote:
Nebby wrote:you should choose a post grad based on what you'll enjoy, not to measure your self esteem against.


Some people enjoy prestigious careers that give them an inflated sense of self-worth, just sayin. There are people for whom prestige affords legitimate and consistent happiness.

lol

addie1412

Silver
Posts: 559
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:43 pm

Re: HLS vs. NYU for v10 BigLaw

Postby addie1412 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:35 pm

Nebby wrote:
addie1412 wrote:
Nebby wrote:you should choose a post grad based on what you'll enjoy, not to measure your self esteem against.


Some people enjoy prestigious careers that give them an inflated sense of self-worth, just sayin. There are people for whom prestige affords legitimate and consistent happiness.

lol


Good for you if you've never met slash been raised by anyone like that

User avatar
jbagelboy

Diamond
Posts: 10276
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: HLS vs. NYU for v10 BigLaw

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:05 pm

addie1412 wrote:
Nebby wrote:
addie1412 wrote:
Nebby wrote:you should choose a post grad based on what you'll enjoy, not to measure your self esteem against.


Some people enjoy prestigious careers that give them an inflated sense of self-worth, just sayin. There are people for whom prestige affords legitimate and consistent happiness.

lol


Good for you if you've never met slash been raised by anyone like that


Aside from the fact that most 'prestigious careers' in law are an illusion, there are no people that fit this description because the happiness you refer to is by definition not ever "consistent" (and there may be varying interpretations of the word "legitimate," but lets put that aside.) The entire problem with signaling-based positive reinforcement is that it requires constant nurturing or it fades: in the eternal words of max rushmore, sic transit gloria mundi. At each step -- the right prep school, the right college, the right internships, the right first job, the right law school, the right summer, the right clerkships, the right higher office, ect.--there will be a degree of euphoria but no lasting eudaimonia, to crib the nichomachaen. So those people set themselves up for constant struggle against the basic reality at the heart of their own ego.

addie1412

Silver
Posts: 559
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:43 pm

Re: HLS vs. NYU for v10 BigLaw

Postby addie1412 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:30 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
addie1412 wrote:
Nebby wrote:
addie1412 wrote:
Nebby wrote:you should choose a post grad based on what you'll enjoy, not to measure your self esteem against.


Some people enjoy prestigious careers that give them an inflated sense of self-worth, just sayin. There are people for whom prestige affords legitimate and consistent happiness.

lol


Good for you if you've never met slash been raised by anyone like that


Aside from the fact that most 'prestigious careers' in law are an illusion, there are no people that fit this description because the happiness you refer to is by definition not ever "consistent" (and there may be varying interpretations of the word "legitimate," but lets put that aside.) The entire problem with signaling-based positive reinforcement is that it requires constant nurturing or it fades: in the eternal words of max rushmore, sic transit gloria mundi. At each step -- the right prep school, the right college, the right internships, the right first job, the right law school, the right summer, the right clerkships, the right higher office, ect.--there will be a degree of euphoria but no lasting eudaimonia, to crib the nichomachaen. So those people set themselves up for constant struggle against the basic reality at the heart of their own ego.


All of this is why I chose to use the much less restrictive word "happiness" over "eudaimonia." You could certainly seek the positive reinforcement you described (or nurture it, as you say) right up to your deathbed. There are always opportunities to do so, and many people take that path. Those peaks of euphoria can occur at fairly regular (maybe "consistent" was too strong of a word) intervals throughout a person's lifetime. And that can certainly be a form of happiness, if not eudaimonia, but I'm of the opinion that the latter isn't super accessible given current society, anyways. It's something for which most people would have to make serious life changes. The "constant struggle" with euphoric peaks is as valid of an approach to shallow happiness as any, IMO.
Last edited by addie1412 on Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lawlorbust

Bronze
Posts: 425
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:50 am

Re: HLS vs. NYU for v10 BigLaw

Postby lawlorbust » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:31 pm

HLS homer here. Go to NYU.

dabigchina

Silver
Posts: 1419
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:22 am

Re: HLS vs. NYU for v10 BigLaw

Postby dabigchina » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:58 pm

why does every thread need to devolve into a circle jerk about what v20 is most preftigious?

User avatar
jbagelboy

Diamond
Posts: 10276
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: HLS vs. NYU for v10 BigLaw

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:41 pm

addie1412 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
addie1412 wrote:
Nebby wrote:
addie1412 wrote:
Nebby wrote:you should choose a post grad based on what you'll enjoy, not to measure your self esteem against.


Some people enjoy prestigious careers that give them an inflated sense of self-worth, just sayin. There are people for whom prestige affords legitimate and consistent happiness.

lol


Good for you if you've never met slash been raised by anyone like that


Aside from the fact that most 'prestigious careers' in law are an illusion, there are no people that fit this description because the happiness you refer to is by definition not ever "consistent" (and there may be varying interpretations of the word "legitimate," but lets put that aside.) The entire problem with signaling-based positive reinforcement is that it requires constant nurturing or it fades: in the eternal words of max rushmore, sic transit gloria mundi. At each step -- the right prep school, the right college, the right internships, the right first job, the right law school, the right summer, the right clerkships, the right higher office, ect.--there will be a degree of euphoria but no lasting eudaimonia, to crib the nichomachaen. So those people set themselves up for constant struggle against the basic reality at the heart of their own ego.


All of this is why I chose to use the much less restrictive word "happiness" over "eudaimonia." You could certainly seek the positive reinforcement you described (or nurture it, as you say) right up to your deathbed. There are always opportunities to do so, and many people take that path. Those peaks of euphoria can occur at fairly regular (maybe "consistent" was too strong of a word) intervals throughout a person's lifetime. And that can certainly be a form of happiness, if not eudaimonia, but I'm of the opinion that the latter isn't super accessible given current society, anyways. It's something for which most people would have to make serious life changes. The "constant struggle" with euphoric peaks is as valid of an approach to shallow happiness as any, IMO.


Fair enough. YOLO

User avatar
Dcc617

Gold
Posts: 2319
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:01 pm

Re: HLS vs. NYU for v10 BigLaw

Postby Dcc617 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:27 am

addie1412 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
addie1412 wrote:
Nebby wrote:
addie1412 wrote:
Nebby wrote:you should choose a post grad based on what you'll enjoy, not to measure your self esteem against.


Some people enjoy prestigious careers that give them an inflated sense of self-worth, just sayin. There are people for whom prestige affords legitimate and consistent happiness.

lol


Good for you if you've never met slash been raised by anyone like that


Aside from the fact that most 'prestigious careers' in law are an illusion, there are no people that fit this description because the happiness you refer to is by definition not ever "consistent" (and there may be varying interpretations of the word "legitimate," but lets put that aside.) The entire problem with signaling-based positive reinforcement is that it requires constant nurturing or it fades: in the eternal words of max rushmore, sic transit gloria mundi. At each step -- the right prep school, the right college, the right internships, the right first job, the right law school, the right summer, the right clerkships, the right higher office, ect.--there will be a degree of euphoria but no lasting eudaimonia, to crib the nichomachaen. So those people set themselves up for constant struggle against the basic reality at the heart of their own ego.


All of this is why I chose to use the much less restrictive word "happiness" over "eudaimonia." You could certainly seek the positive reinforcement you described (or nurture it, as you say) right up to your deathbed. There are always opportunities to do so, and many people take that path. Those peaks of euphoria can occur at fairly regular (maybe "consistent" was too strong of a word) intervals throughout a person's lifetime. And that can certainly be a form of happiness, if not eudaimonia, but I'm of the opinion that the latter isn't super accessible given current society, anyways. It's something for which most people would have to make serious life changes. The "constant struggle" with euphoric peaks is as valid of an approach to shallow happiness as any, IMO.


What sort of life have you led to think this is true? Jesus.

Edit: You shouldn't talk like that if you end up coming to Harvard. Nobody likes those people.

addie1412

Silver
Posts: 559
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:43 pm

Re: HLS vs. NYU for v10 BigLaw

Postby addie1412 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:35 am

.
Last edited by addie1412 on Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
First Offense

Platinum
Posts: 7091
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:45 pm

Re: HLS vs. NYU for v10 BigLaw

Postby First Offense » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:34 pm

dabigchina wrote:why does every thread need to devolve into a circle jerk about what v20 is most preftigious?

I mean I think the answer to that is Wacthell and not much debate to be had.

dabigchina

Silver
Posts: 1419
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:22 am

Re: HLS vs. NYU for v10 BigLaw

Postby dabigchina » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:38 pm

First Offense wrote:
dabigchina wrote:why does every thread need to devolve into a circle jerk about what v20 is most preftigious?

I mean I think the answer to that is Wacthell and not much debate to be had.

b...but cravath is V1 now.

User avatar
First Offense

Platinum
Posts: 7091
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:45 pm

Re: HLS vs. NYU for v10 BigLaw

Postby First Offense » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:38 pm

dabigchina wrote:
First Offense wrote:
dabigchina wrote:why does every thread need to devolve into a circle jerk about what v20 is most preftigious?

I mean I think the answer to that is Wacthell and not much debate to be had.

b...but cravath is V1 now.

Isn't Harvard tied with Stanford now too?

Vault rankings are dumb.

dabigchina

Silver
Posts: 1419
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:22 am

Re: HLS vs. NYU for v10 BigLaw

Postby dabigchina » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:34 am

First Offense wrote:
dabigchina wrote:
First Offense wrote:
dabigchina wrote:why does every thread need to devolve into a circle jerk about what v20 is most preftigious?

I mean I think the answer to that is Wacthell and not much debate to be had.

b...but cravath is V1 now.

Isn't Harvard tied with Stanford now too?

Vault rankings are dumb.

whoosh



Return to “Choosing a Law School�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 8 guests