Help - 2.1 GPA, 168 LSAT (Maryland Resident)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
lplaw

New
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun May 31, 2015 5:52 pm

Help - 2.1 GPA, 168 LSAT (Maryland Resident)

Postby lplaw » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:49 pm

Hello,

About a year ago I posted about my situation and how I wanted to pursue law. I know my gpa is a huge hindrance, but that's also why I have been working in my industry for about 4 years now to distance myself from my college days. I took the LSAT last December and scored a 168. Not bad for a decent gpa, but pretty low given my standing. I plan to retake in either February or June in 2017 depending on if I can get enough time to make a concerted effort to study given my job responsibilities.

Having said all this, is it even possible that I can get into a good law school (t-50) and not ruin myself financially? I've worked remarkably hard to get out of the hole I dug myself into in college and refuse to go back to that. I originally targeted the DC, MD, and VA area for law schools but understand that I will most likely end up in a regional school. Can anyone suggest a school that might accept me as an applicant? Wanted to focus in either health law or IP law. Graduated with a B.S. in Biochemistry and have been working as a quality scientist.

User avatar
airwrecka

Silver
Posts: 1118
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:54 pm

Re: Help - 2.1 GPA, 168 LSAT (Maryland Resident)

Postby airwrecka » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:22 pm

lplaw wrote:Hello,

About a year ago I posted about my situation and how I wanted to pursue law. I know my gpa is a huge hindrance, but that's also why I have been working in my industry for about 4 years now to distance myself from my college days. I took the LSAT last December and scored a 168. Not bad for a decent gpa, but pretty low given my standing. I plan to retake in either February or June in 2017 depending on if I can get enough time to make a concerted effort to study given my job responsibilities.

Having said all this, is it even possible that I can get into a good law school (t-50) and not ruin myself financially? I've worked remarkably hard to get out of the hole I dug myself into in college and refuse to go back to that. I originally targeted the DC, MD, and VA area for law schools but understand that I will most likely end up in a regional school. Can anyone suggest a school that might accept me as an applicant? Wanted to focus in either health law or IP law. Graduated with a B.S. in Biochemistry and have been working as a quality scientist.


I don't have answers to many of your questions, but my advice is this: make sure you write a very convincing addendum regarding your GPA. Explain why it's so low and highlight what you have done since graduating to correct the errors you may have made. Write a kick-ass PS (maybe you can relate a lesson you learned regarding your GPA?). Get some AWESOME professional LORs (since you've been out of school for some time now), and if there was ever a professor you connected with during undergrad that you think would be able to write a great letter, despite your GPA, reach out to them.

I would think/hope that because your major was in STEM and you're currently working in that field, law schools would take your GPA with a grain of salt, but you still want to do everything in your power to make every other aspect of your application outstanding.

personofinterest

Bronze
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:13 pm

Re: Help - 2.1 GPA, 168 LSAT (Maryland Resident)

Postby personofinterest » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:34 pm

Dunno if this is still a thing, but WashU used to hand out full rides to anyone with 166 LSAT or higher. Their median just went up to 168, but they might still give out full rides to 168+. According to http://mylsn.info/dl56no/, they gave 40K annual scholarships to those with 168+ LSAT and sub-3.0 GPAs. You would be surprised how many top 50's will accept you to get your LSAT.

I would recommend applying to the following types of schools
- Any school in the area you want to work (Maryland?)
- A number of schools in the top 50 or so, so you can negotiate scholarships. Schools known to be generous w/ scholarships include WashU and Minnesota.
- T14s: NU, UVA, Penn, Georgetown (and maybe Cornell)

If you provide more info, recommendations may change. Good luck!

User avatar
trebekismyhero

Silver
Posts: 810
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 5:26 pm

Re: Help - 2.1 GPA, 168 LSAT (Maryland Resident)

Postby trebekismyhero » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:08 pm

WashU had their median move up to 168 so 168 probably won't get the full ride.

OP is not getting into any t-14. But locally you should be fine at MD and might get into GW, but I wouldn't pay sticker there.

Since you're patent eligible you'll be in a better job position. If you are open to moving elsewhere, you should get big scholarships from Illinois and maybe Minnesota. I know Illinois has really good patent placement and I think MN is good as well.

personofinterest

Bronze
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:13 pm

Re: Help - 2.1 GPA, 168 LSAT (Maryland Resident)

Postby personofinterest » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:29 pm

trebekismyhero wrote:WashU had their median move up to 168 so 168 probably won't get the full ride.

OP is not getting into any t-14. But locally you should be fine at MD and might get into GW, but I wouldn't pay sticker there.

Since you're patent eligible you'll be in a better job position. If you are open to moving elsewhere, you should get big scholarships from Illinois and maybe Minnesota. I know Illinois has really good patent placement and I think MN is good as well.


The above is wrong. Don't just make stuff up. Look at mylsn first.

Back when WashU had a median of 166, they gave out full rides to 166. They will have to keep giving out massive scholarships if they want to keep their median at 168, which is higher than some T14s. Thus, a 168 this application cycle has a good shot at a massive scholarship. At the very least you should apply.

OP's GPA is low even for supersplitters (high LSAT, sub-3.0 GPA), but at least it is in STEM. Based on recent years, sub-3.0's with a 168+ LSAT had a shot at the T14s I listed. It is at least worth your time to apply there. Also, retaking and getting a little higher LSAT may increase your odds, in case NU or UVA tries to move to a 169 median.

Patent eligibility should help your job prospects.

Wipfelder

Silver
Posts: 768
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:26 am

Re: Help - 2.1 GPA, 168 LSAT (Maryland Resident)

Postby Wipfelder » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:32 pm

personofinterest wrote:
trebekismyhero wrote:WashU had their median move up to 168 so 168 probably won't get the full ride.

OP is not getting into any t-14. But locally you should be fine at MD and might get into GW, but I wouldn't pay sticker there.

Since you're patent eligible you'll be in a better job position. If you are open to moving elsewhere, you should get big scholarships from Illinois and maybe Minnesota. I know Illinois has really good patent placement and I think MN is good as well.


The above is wrong. Don't just make stuff up. Look at mylsn first.

Back when WashU had a median of 166, they gave out full rides to 166. They will have to keep giving out massive scholarships if they want to keep their median at 168, which is higher than some T14s. Thus, a 168 this application cycle has a good shot at a massive scholarship. At the very least you should apply.

OP's GPA is low even for supersplitters (high LSAT, sub-3.0 GPA), but at least it is in STEM. Based on recent years, sub-3.0's with a 168+ LSAT had a shot at the T14s I listed. It is at least worth your time to apply there. Also, retaking and getting a little higher LSAT may increase your odds, in case NU or UVA tries to move to a 169 median.

Patent eligibility should help your job prospects.


If you get above 170, someone in the top 25 and up will throw some decent money at you. (Speaking from experience)

Just be geographically flexible....

User avatar
trebekismyhero

Silver
Posts: 810
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 5:26 pm

Re: Help - 2.1 GPA, 168 LSAT (Maryland Resident)

Postby trebekismyhero » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:08 pm

personofinterest wrote:
trebekismyhero wrote:WashU had their median move up to 168 so 168 probably won't get the full ride.

OP is not getting into any t-14. But locally you should be fine at MD and might get into GW, but I wouldn't pay sticker there.

Since you're patent eligible you'll be in a better job position. If you are open to moving elsewhere, you should get big scholarships from Illinois and maybe Minnesota. I know Illinois has really good patent placement and I think MN is good as well.


The above is wrong. Don't just make stuff up. Look at mylsn first.

Back when WashU had a median of 166, they gave out full rides to 166. They will have to keep giving out massive scholarships if they want to keep their median at 168, which is higher than some T14s. Thus, a 168 this application cycle has a good shot at a massive scholarship. At the very least you should apply.

OP's GPA is low even for supersplitters (high LSAT, sub-3.0 GPA), but at least it is in STEM. Based on recent years, sub-3.0's with a 168+ LSAT had a shot at the T14s I listed. It is at least worth your time to apply there. Also, retaking and getting a little higher LSAT may increase your odds, in case NU or UVA tries to move to a 169 median.

Patent eligibility should help your job prospects.


Did they give full rides with 166s and low 2s? I didn't say they shouldn't apply. Just that OP was probably not getting a full ride. Didn't make up anything. Relax and chill

Wipfelder

Silver
Posts: 768
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:26 am

Re: Help - 2.1 GPA, 168 LSAT (Maryland Resident)

Postby Wipfelder » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:50 am

trebekismyhero wrote:
personofinterest wrote:
trebekismyhero wrote:WashU had their median move up to 168 so 168 probably won't get the full ride.

OP is not getting into any t-14. But locally you should be fine at MD and might get into GW, but I wouldn't pay sticker there.

Since you're patent eligible you'll be in a better job position. If you are open to moving elsewhere, you should get big scholarships from Illinois and maybe Minnesota. I know Illinois has really good patent placement and I think MN is good as well.


The above is wrong. Don't just make stuff up. Look at mylsn first.

Back when WashU had a median of 166, they gave out full rides to 166. They will have to keep giving out massive scholarships if they want to keep their median at 168, which is higher than some T14s. Thus, a 168 this application cycle has a good shot at a massive scholarship. At the very least you should apply.

OP's GPA is low even for supersplitters (high LSAT, sub-3.0 GPA), but at least it is in STEM. Based on recent years, sub-3.0's with a 168+ LSAT had a shot at the T14s I listed. It is at least worth your time to apply there. Also, retaking and getting a little higher LSAT may increase your odds, in case NU or UVA tries to move to a 169 median.

Patent eligibility should help your job prospects.


Did they give full rides with 166s and low 2s? I didn't say they shouldn't apply. Just that OP was probably not getting a full ride. Didn't make up anything. Relax and chill


But your also wrong about OP not getting into a T-14. If he retakes and does really well, he can in fact get into a T14, even with that GPA.

User avatar
trebekismyhero

Silver
Posts: 810
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 5:26 pm

Re: Help - 2.1 GPA, 168 LSAT (Maryland Resident)

Postby trebekismyhero » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:14 pm

Wipfelder wrote:
trebekismyhero wrote:
personofinterest wrote:
trebekismyhero wrote:WashU had their median move up to 168 so 168 probably won't get the full ride.

OP is not getting into any t-14. But locally you should be fine at MD and might get into GW, but I wouldn't pay sticker there.

Since you're patent eligible you'll be in a better job position. If you are open to moving elsewhere, you should get big scholarships from Illinois and maybe Minnesota. I know Illinois has really good patent placement and I think MN is good as well.


The above is wrong. Don't just make stuff up. Look at mylsn first.

Back when WashU had a median of 166, they gave out full rides to 166. They will have to keep giving out massive scholarships if they want to keep their median at 168, which is higher than some T14s. Thus, a 168 this application cycle has a good shot at a massive scholarship. At the very least you should apply.

OP's GPA is low even for supersplitters (high LSAT, sub-3.0 GPA), but at least it is in STEM. Based on recent years, sub-3.0's with a 168+ LSAT had a shot at the T14s I listed. It is at least worth your time to apply there. Also, retaking and getting a little higher LSAT may increase your odds, in case NU or UVA tries to move to a 169 median.

Patent eligibility should help your job prospects.


Did they give full rides with 166s and low 2s? I didn't say they shouldn't apply. Just that OP was probably not getting a full ride. Didn't make up anything. Relax and chill


But your also wrong about OP not getting into a T-14. If he retakes and does really well, he can in fact get into a T14, even with that GPA.


What is really well and where? I know someone that had a 2.5 and a 177 and got rejected everywhere in the t14 except WL at NU. They did get off the waitlist and in at sticker there, but a 2.5 is different than a 2.1. Also, you're

Wipfelder

Silver
Posts: 768
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:26 am

Re: Help - 2.1 GPA, 168 LSAT (Maryland Resident)

Postby Wipfelder » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:07 pm

trebekismyhero wrote:
Wipfelder wrote:
trebekismyhero wrote:
personofinterest wrote:
trebekismyhero wrote:WashU had their median move up to 168 so 168 probably won't get the full ride.

OP is not getting into any t-14. But locally you should be fine at MD and might get into GW, but I wouldn't pay sticker there.

Since you're patent eligible you'll be in a better job position. If you are open to moving elsewhere, you should get big scholarships from Illinois and maybe Minnesota. I know Illinois has really good patent placement and I think MN is good as well.


Depending on how his softs play out, he isn't out of any of the T14 below HYS if he gets above 170. I know people in 5 of the top 14 schools with those types of stats.

The above is wrong. Don't just make stuff up. Look at mylsn first.

Back when WashU had a median of 166, they gave out full rides to 166. They will have to keep giving out massive scholarships if they want to keep their median at 168, which is higher than some T14s. Thus, a 168 this application cycle has a good shot at a massive scholarship. At the very least you should apply.

OP's GPA is low even for supersplitters (high LSAT, sub-3.0 GPA), but at least it is in STEM. Based on recent years, sub-3.0's with a 168+ LSAT had a shot at the T14s I listed. It is at least worth your time to apply there. Also, retaking and getting a little higher LSAT may increase your odds, in case NU or UVA tries to move to a 169 median.

Patent eligibility should help your job prospects.


Did they give full rides with 166s and low 2s? I didn't say they shouldn't apply. Just that OP was probably not getting a full ride. Didn't make up anything. Relax and chill


But your also wrong about OP not getting into a T-14. If he retakes and does really well, he can in fact get into a T14, even with that GPA.


What is really well and where? I know someone that had a 2.5 and a 177 and got rejected everywhere in the t14 except WL at NU. They did get off the waitlist and in at sticker there, but a 2.5 is different than a 2.1. Also, you're


I know 5 people who got in at a range of the T-14s with sub 2.5 GPAs, but they all got above 170 and had good softs.

lplaw

New
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun May 31, 2015 5:52 pm

Re: Help - 2.1 GPA, 168 LSAT (Maryland Resident)

Postby lplaw » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:10 pm

Thanks guys for responding. With all said and done I am definitely retaking in Feb or June. This just confirmed my suspicion that I need to be above 170 at the minimum.

barkschool

Silver
Posts: 967
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:05 am

Re: Help - 2.1 GPA, 168 LSAT (Maryland Resident)

Postby barkschool » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:30 pm

What is hindering your career in bio chemistry?

lplaw

New
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun May 31, 2015 5:52 pm

Re: Help - 2.1 GPA, 168 LSAT (Maryland Resident)

Postby lplaw » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:46 am

barkschool wrote:What is hindering your career in bio chemistry?


Nothing really. Honestly, I have a goood future in line if I stay in this career. Part of me knows though I'll always regret not at least taking a chance at going to law school.

Boltsfan

New
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:17 pm

Re: Help - 2.1 GPA, 168 LSAT (Maryland Resident)

Postby Boltsfan » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:50 pm

lplaw wrote:
barkschool wrote:What is hindering your career in bio chemistry?


Nothing really. Honestly, I have a goood future in line if I stay in this career. Part of me knows though I'll always regret not at least taking a chance at going to law school.


I don't understand. Why do you want to go to law school? What do you know about being a lawyer that makes you want to give up your current career in exchange for law school? With that GPA you are likely going to have to take on some debt, not to mention the opportunity cost of losing three years of your life, and all you are guaranteed to get is a chance to become a lawyer.

I would also warn you that, while my understanding is that there is a closer correlation between LSAT performance and law school performance than with UG GPA and law school performance, a GPA that low makes me question if you have the work ethic necessary to succeed in law school. No doubt biochemistry is a tough major, but that's a straight up C average. At the type of schools you are going to get into, unless you want to be an IP lawyer (and maybe even still), you're going to have to at least be in the top 1/3 to have a good shot at big law.

User avatar
spqr351

New
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:06 pm

Re: Help - 2.1 GPA, 168 LSAT (Maryland Resident)

Postby spqr351 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:58 pm

.



Return to “Choosing a Law School�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 13 guests