Best T14 for south? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
joeytribbiani

Bronze

Best T14 for south?

Post by joeytribbiani » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:33 am

Most of the T14s are northern or on the west coast with the exception of Duke. I don't know exactly where I want to end up living and working specifically, but would prefer somewhere a bit more southern/lower midwest. Aiming for T14 because of prestige/quality but also because I'm young and unsure where I want to end up and don't want to be tied down to the region I go to school in. I'm in at Duke (and a few non-T14s) and waiting on a batch of others. Do any of the T14s have particularly better prospects in these markets based on anything other than their general prestige/ranking? I.e. specific clinics or programs or ties for whatever reason that cause them to send a lot of students to those markets? Would a school such as Vanderbilt have better reach across the south by nature of geography and its reach beyond TN? Money is not a big factor so pretend for argument's sake that everywhere is equal in terms of cost, looking specifically to ease of entry into southern markets. Any input is invited.

grades??

Silver

Re: Best T14 for south?

Post by grades?? » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:44 am

If you want the South, Duke is by and far the best choice. UVA is second, but the name might not carry as far south. Barring these two, Vandy is next.

1. Duke
======
2. UVA
3. Vandy
========
everyone else.

jkpolk

Silver

Post by jkpolk » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:47 am

grades?? wrote:If you want the South, Duke is by and far the best choice. UVA is second, but the name might not carry as far south. Barring these two, Vandy is next.

1. Duke
======
2. UVA
3. Vandy
========
everyone else.
That's not right. UVA is better for the south. It is bigger and has a higher percentage of alumni who have chosen southern markets in the past. Neither name will be enough to break into an insular southern market by itself (but if you went to Tulane undergrad you probably have a shot at New Orleans, etc.)

trmckenz

Bronze

Post by trmckenz » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:13 pm

I don't think UVA > Duke in the South... UVA may be ranked slightly higher, but Duke is private and has a better-known brand (probably thanks to Coach K's basketball program). Bottom line is that they are total peer schools for law firm hiring.

Also, don't forget UT.

Should be:

UVA/Duke
=========
Vandy/UT
=========
Everyone else (depends on market - Emory/Flagship state school/WFU/W&M/W&L/SMU/etc.)

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:31 pm

Getting hired in a Southern market is going to be way, way, way more of a function of your ties than whatever you decide regarding Duke vs UVA. Or hell, Duke vs Cornell for that matter. I'd still focus on things like cost more than this.

IMO

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:35 pm

Also I went to UT and I can't imagine it giving much of a leg up in, say, Birmingham over a school like, say, Alabama. UT being a higher-ish ranked school that is lower in latitude doesn't mean it's going to give you a big advantage in the monolithic "The South."

Anyway you're going to have to acquire some more geographic focus here, OP

Again, IMO

trmckenz

Bronze

Post by trmckenz » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:48 pm

Agree with BigZuck on the insularity of some southern markets... e.g., someone with ties to an insular market who went to Harvard will likely fare better than someone with no ties to that market but went to a "southern"/target law school.

Gold

Post by 20170322 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:53 pm

Duke is primarily out of state students, placing primarily into NYC. Why would it place better in the south than UVA?

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:12 pm

It seems the South lacks in T-14s (comparatively). However, there are plenty of flagships that place well in their markets: UT/Vandy/Emory/Alabama are the biggest after Duke/UVA, which are obviously the strongest.

Then you have other schools that are half decent like UNC/SMU/UH/UGA/W&M. Not sure about W&L, UF, FSU, Tulane, but along with the former, I think they may be okay if you are targeting a specific state with realistic expectations.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Toni V

Bronze

Post by Toni V » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:40 pm

Playing it safe....Top half of the T14 (for those firms focused on prestige), then Duke and UVA, followed by Emory (if the southern big banana Atlanta is in your crosshairs).

joeytribbiani

Bronze

Post by joeytribbiani » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:05 am

Thanks for the input guys. I'm K-JD and I have a general sense of region I'd like to end up in, but being on the younger side of law school admissions I'm not positive of exactly where I want to be and just wanted to explore the options of where is best to go for a general region without going somewhere that locks me in to a specific city/locality. The advice will all be taken into consideration!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:54 am

They all place well into NYC big law. Some schools located in large legal markets might give you a leg up there (It's probably somewhat easier to get a job in Chicago if you go to Northwestern instead of Berkeley and likewise it's probably somewhat easier to get a job in San Francisco if you go to Berkeley instead of Northwestern). But I don't think it's necessarily the same in "The South" and its hodgepodge of smaller legal markets when you consider Duke and UVA.

All things being equal if I had a southern market in mind and was going to a T14 I'd probably rather go to a Duke/UVA over a Berkeley/Cornell. But are all things ever equal? Also, in a vacuum I'd almost certainly pick Harvard over Duke/UVA for any kind of big law, regardless of latitude.

Focus on cost and try to acquire more geographic focus as soon as possible.

joeytribbiani

Bronze

Post by joeytribbiani » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:38 pm

BigZuck wrote:They all place well into NYC big law. Some schools located in large legal markets might give you a leg up there (It's probably somewhat easier to get a job in Chicago if you go to Northwestern instead of Berkeley and likewise it's probably somewhat easier to get a job in San Francisco if you go to Berkeley instead of Northwestern). But I don't think it's necessarily the same in "The South" and its hodgepodge of smaller legal markets when you consider Duke and UVA.

All things being equal if I had a southern market in mind and was going to a T14 I'd probably rather go to a Duke/UVA over a Berkeley/Cornell. But are all things ever equal? Also, in a vacuum I'd almost certainly pick Harvard over Duke/UVA for any kind of big law, regardless of latitude.

Focus on cost and try to acquire more geographic focus as soon as possible.
I mean, I would also choose Harvard (or Stanford or Yale..), but that is unfortunately out of the question with my numbers haha. Cost really is equal (money left specifically for my school from dead family, both fortunate and very unfortunate) so I really am trying to decide just where geographically makes the most sense. Obviously a hard thing to do when I don't know what the specific end goal is. But I feel like I got some great input from everyone here, so thanks guys!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

zeglo

Silver

Post by zeglo » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:49 pm

Last edited by zeglo on Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:10 pm

Take a couple years off to be a grownup and work. Retake the LSAT until you're sure you did the best you can. Then, when you have a little more perspective about what you want to do with your life and where you want to live, go to law school if it still appeals to you.

Your question strongly points to you not missing some key experience and knowledge.

Minnietron

Silver

Post by Minnietron » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:13 pm

I'm going to go ahead and say HYS > UVA & Duke.

UVA & Duke probably have larger alumni bases in most southern cities, but HYS could help you overcome most "ties" issues.
Last edited by Minnietron on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AT9

Gold

Post by AT9 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:22 pm

HYS (with ties at least, dunno how they'd factor in without ties)
UVA/Duke
Vandy/UT
The southern T50 schools for specific state/city markets

But presxisting ties are pretty crucial regardless of where you go.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

KissMyAxe

Bronze

Post by KissMyAxe » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:49 am

Post Deleted
Last edited by KissMyAxe on Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AT9

Gold

Post by AT9 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:27 am

KissMyAxe wrote:
AT9 wrote:HYS (with ties at least, dunno how they'd factor in without ties)
UVA/Duke
Vandy/UT
The southern T50 schools for specific state/city markets

But presxisting ties are pretty crucial regardless of where you go.
Very poorly. Maybe Atlanta would be an exception (but Atlanta sucks just so everyone knows), but outside of that, the South would view a HYS grad without ties as a goddamn carpetbagger. Hell, HYS grads with ties are viewed with skepticism by most of the South.

As for the rankings, this is close, but not quite. For one, UVA's sphere of influence is primarily around the Chesapeake Bay Area, where it does extremely well. Most people in the legal field in the South wouldn't raise an eyebrow at an UVA grad. They think it's a good school, but not anything special. In the South, Harvard is unanimously king. Yale is a distant second. Stanford would largely depend on the hiring party. Some people in the know would have it after Yale. However, many are not aware that Stanford is great academically, only knowing about their so-so football program. So, it could vary tremendously. Texas is considered like the greatest school ever in Texas, but people in the southeast do not care about that school (maybe someone else can weigh in with Louisiana's or Arkansas' perspective since they're so close). They'd all put their own state school ahead of it.

So my rankings would be:

Harvard (with ties)
-
Yale (with ties)
-
Duke
-
Vandy
-
UVA/Emory
-
William and Mary
-
Whatever state school rules the state in question (Basically: UT, LSU, Bama, UF/FSU, UGA, USC, UNC, Tenn, etc.)

And yes, ties are mandatory
Are you an attorney or T14 student in the south? Genuine question, as this hasn't been my experience as a 3L in a southern "whatever state school." IME, UVA and Duke grads are viewed similarly in markets like Atlanta and Charlotte. I certainly wouldn't place Emory on par with UVA, and I wouldn't put W&M above most of the other local flagships and state schools. You could maybe include sub-rankings within the non-UVA/Duke/Vandy/UT southern schools, but at that point it's purely cost/state you're targeting (i.e., UF is better for Florida than W&M or Emory, even if USNews says differently). But that's not really the point of this thread.

Regardless, the last point regarding ties should be the take-away.

SeewhathappensLarry

Bronze

Post by SeewhathappensLarry » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:43 am

UVA 3L here. I'm not convinced ties are absolutely necessary. I'm from the NE, but for a time I was considering moving to the south, so for OGI I cast a wide net and with zero ties got callbacks in Atlanta, Charlotte, Nashville, Raleigh, and freaking Greenville SC. I ended up going back to the NE but FWIW lots and lots of Southern firms come to UVA, including ones that are purely regional biggish law firms. Very mediocre grades too.

ETA: I think Duke and UVA are very similar across the south. Agreed Harvard is best, though I would second the poster above that said HYS grads are sometimes viewed with skepticism

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:49 am

I enjoy rankings threads. They are very good threads and I like them very much.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:12 pm

BigZuck wrote:I enjoy rankings threads. They are very good threads and I like them very much.
Also very effective+accurate

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:12 am

Are UVA/Duke significantly better than UT if you want to work in Texas?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:41 am

PrezRand wrote:Are UVA/Duke significantly better than UT if you want to work in Texas?
Generally speaking probably yes, but likely depends on a bunch of factors (the specific firm, your preexisting ties, etc.)

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:29 pm

BigZuck wrote:
PrezRand wrote:Are UVA/Duke significantly better than UT if you want to work in Texas?
Generally speaking probably yes, but likely depends on a bunch of factors (the specific firm, your preexisting ties, etc.)
I have strong ties to TX (lived here for 20 years) and have no plans to leave unless I can crack the DC market or make strong enough grades to give me a shot at a smaller market such as Denver. Most of the top Texas firms only have students from TX schools besides the top 6 firms: Baker Botts, VE, Jones Day, and etc. I have strongly considered applying early to UT just because it is incredibly cheap for in-state students and my COL would be paid by my parents and the school if I was accepted. However, I know Duke/UVA do well in the south.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”