Which T14 schools have broadest career options? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
urbanac

New

Which T14 schools have broadest career options?

Post by urbanac » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:00 pm

Other than HYS. My dream was Stanford, but I have 3.85 gpa and 169 lsat, so I'm assuming that's out.

I dont know if I want to be a lawyer-- i do think I'd like law school and do well in it. I know that alone is not a compelling reason to go. That's why I'm wondering which schools have the broadest career options. I'm particularly looking to go into education reform/policy, international development or social enterprise.

I know most people end up as lawyers, and I've heard the counsel of "go to law school only if you want to be a lawyer" plenty of times-- but still want to know if it's possible to jump into policy, consulting, or management positions with a JD from a particular t14 school.

For the record I am applying to MBA programs as well- I just want to have options.

Thanks !

Gold

Re: Which T14 schools have broadest career options?

Post by 20170322 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:04 pm

urbanac wrote:Other than HYS. My dream was Stanford, but I have 3.85 gpa and 169 lsat, so I'm assuming that's out.

I dont know if I want to be a lawyer-- i do think I'd like law school and do well in it. I know that alone is not a compelling reason to go. That's why I'm wondering which schools have the broadest career options. I'm particularly looking to go into education reform/policy, international development or social enterprise.

I know most people end up as lawyers, and I've heard the counsel of "go to law school only if you want to be a lawyer" plenty of times-- but still want to know if it's possible to jump into policy, consulting, or management positions with a JD from a particular t14 school.

For the record I am applying to MBA programs as well- I just want to have options.

Thanks !
Why not do some work and retake the LSAT? It'd show you if you prefer law or business, and put you in the running for HYS.

urbanac

New

Post by urbanac » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:10 pm

SweetTort wrote:
urbanac wrote:Other than HYS. My dream was Stanford, but I have 3.85 gpa and 169 lsat, so I'm assuming that's out.

Thanks !
Why not do some work and retake the LSAT? It'd show you if you prefer law or business, and put you in the running for HYS.

because im old-- hitting 30 next year

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:19 am

consulting companies recruit at Columbia. I've seen banks post sa positions on our Symplicity page too.

In the end these outcomes r few and far between. I have no idea if it's because they r hard to get or if nobody takes advantage.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:10 am

urbanac wrote: I know most people end up as lawyers, and I've heard the counsel of "go to law school only if you want to be a lawyer" plenty of times-- but still want to know if it's possible to jump into policy, consulting, or management positions with a JD from a particular t14 school.
Not really, no.

If you want to do policy, get an MPP. If you want to do management, get an MBA. If you want to do consulting, I think you can probably do that right now.

You've apparently heard it before, but just in case... don't go to law school if you don't want to be a lawyer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

echonov

New

Post by echonov » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:57 pm

Echoing what other people have said here, a JD won't help you much in any of those professions -- and could potentially hurt your chances, if that's really what you want to do. Going to law school is a substantial financial commitment any way you look at it (even if you get a full ride, you still have to account for several years of lost salary), and it's just not really worth it if you don't need the degree for what you want to do.

Thinking you'd be good at law school is not a good reason to go, if you're not interested in the career. I'm positive that, if you'd be good at law school, you'd also be good at a lot of other things that are less stressful/painful/expensive. Yes, there are JDs who don't practice law, but those who I know do so because they figured out they didn't want to be lawyers after starting or finishing school (or they were unable to get jobs, or they're much further along in their careers and are now c-level at a company). It sounds like an MBA might be a better fit, based on the kinds of jobs that you mentioned. Honestly, though, you might be best served continuing to work and trying to have more conversations with people about their jobs to figure out what you really want to do long-term.

Best of luck!

ND2018

New

Post by ND2018 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:00 pm

Thanks !
Unless you really want to be a lawyer, just go get the MBA. Elite MBA:less time, another year to earn money and you won't be spending money on tuition/money is similar to big law/more options.

Iwanttolawschool

Bronze

Post by Iwanttolawschool » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:18 pm

If you want to do business, I agree that an MBA makes much more sense. However, consulting firms do recruit at most (probably all) T14 schools. Though again, it makes much more sense to just go to Business School if that's what you want.

zeglo

Silver

Post by zeglo » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:22 pm

Last edited by zeglo on Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:43 am

Do a JD/MBA program if you're really unsure I guess.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”