Boulder vs. Denver

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
cantyoloforever

Bronze

Boulder vs. Denver

Postby cantyoloforever » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:00 pm

Which school positions a person without ties better in the Colorado legal market? It seems that Boulder is significantly stronger, but if someone wanted to work in the Denver legal market, would Denver Law School be a good option?

acr

Silver

Re: Boulder vs. Denver

Postby acr » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:11 pm

cantyoloforever wrote:Which school positions a person without ties better in the Colorado legal market? It seems that Boulder is significantly stronger, but if someone wanted to work in the Denver legal market, would Denver Law School be a good option?

Boulder for sure.

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:35 pm

I would think Boulder has to be better in every situation, unless there is a 6-figure difference (and even then...).

Boulder is only 30 miles outside of Denver, so you're still well in the area.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Postby trebekismyhero » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:06 pm

guybourdin wrote:I would think Boulder has to be better in every situation, unless there is a 6-figure difference (and even then...).

Agreed, but no one should go six figures into debt for either school. Go to Boulder with a good scholarship

cantyoloforever

Bronze

Postby cantyoloforever » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:11 pm

trebekismyhero wrote:
guybourdin wrote:I would think Boulder has to be better in every situation, unless there is a 6-figure difference (and even then...).

Agreed, but no one should go six figures into debt for either school. Go to Boulder with a good scholarship

Based off of some of my other results this cycle, I think it will be pretty hefty.

Going to Boulder with zero loans a good option then, even for some Midwesterner who doesn't know anyone in the Colorado legal market?

trebekismyhero

Silver

Postby trebekismyhero » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:13 pm

cantyoloforever wrote:
trebekismyhero wrote:

Based off of some of my other results this cycle, I think it will be pretty hefty.

Going to Boulder with zero loans a good option then, even for some Midwesterner who doesn't know anyone in the Colorado legal market?

It depends, if you want to stay in Colorado and will network during your three years at CU, then going with zero loans seems like a good plan.

thexfactor

Silver

Postby thexfactor » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:10 am

Please keep in mind that the legal market in Denver/Boulder is extremely small. I know people in the top 10% and on law review at CU that don't have jobs. Most Denver offices are not that big and they only take a handful of students year year as SA.

The other issue is that Denver is generally a pretty desirable city for most people. Many T14ers with ties to Denver also want to move to Denver. If you got a full scholarship, I would seriously consider going elsewhere.

govlife

Bronze

Postby govlife » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:18 pm

Also keep in mind that full ride at CU is notoriously rare. They like for students to have skin in the game, so you're likely going to come out with 35k or more in loans.

More discussion in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=257925

erinkh

New

Postby erinkh » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:20 am

Hello. I am a Colorado native, but I'm not applying to either school (just because cost of living is getting so high here that I want to get out). Just a couple things to think about from a native's perspective:

-COL is HIGH in Denver and Boulder. A recent study came out in our state newspaper stating that a person would need to make $37/hour to cover the average rent in Denver--and Boulder rents are generally higher. It is to the point that many students are living in other towns (like where I live) that are far away. Obviously, it is possible to find cheaper housing, but it can be a challenge. I don't say this to scare you away from our beautiful state--just to strongly encourage you to factor this in to your choice. South Denver (where DU is), will have noticeably cheaper rent (although still ick-i-ly high) than Boulder.

-Bias alert: I did my grad degree at DU. Although they are significantly lower-ranked than CU, do not under-estimate the money and connection at that school.

-Both Boulder and Denver are great places to live and work! Please feel free to ask me any questions about Colorado living. :)

Return to “Choosing a Law School�