Temple vs Maryland evening program

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
angelumpkers

New

Temple vs Maryland evening program

Postby angelumpkers » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:27 pm

I work in healthcare during the day and am pursuing a JD as a second career. I'm planning to focus on healthcare law. Temple and Maryland both have evening options. I like the healthcare track that Maryland offers, but I would like to live in Philly eventually. I deff don't want to be boxed into Baltimore. Thoughts?

grades??

Silver

Re: Temple vs Maryland evening program

Postby grades?? » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:33 pm

well one will box you into the baltimore area and one will box you into philly. If those options don't sound great, reconsider the jd.

joeyc328

Bronze

Postby joeyc328 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:51 am

Can you work in the during the day in both of these cities?

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:10 am

It won't be feasible to pursue these programs in a city other than the one you work in. So if you work in Bmore (or nearby), choose Maryland; If you work in Philly or nearby, choose Temple.

angelumpkers

New

Postby angelumpkers » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:34 am

RaceJudicata wrote:It won't be feasible to pursue these programs in a city other than the one you work in. So if you work in Bmore (or nearby), choose Maryland; If you work in Philly or nearby, choose Temple.

I also want to add that I can work in one city or the other. I'm looking at positions with tuition reimbursement in both cities. My current employer doesn't have tuition reimbursement.

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:47 pm

angelumpkers wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:It won't be feasible to pursue these programs in a city other than the one you work in. So if you work in Bmore (or nearby), choose Maryland; If you work in Philly or nearby, choose Temple.

I also want to add that I can work in one city or the other. I'm looking at positions with tuition reimbursement in both cities. My current employer doesn't have tuition reimbursement.

But I thought you wanted to be in Philly...

That's really the only question you need to answer. Neither school is particularly good, but if you're going for free (and especially if you have a standing job offer once you get your JD), then just pick the one where you want to end up living. The biggest mistake you can make in this situation is going to one of these schools and thinking that the degree will be portable to another state.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:02 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
angelumpkers wrote:

But I thought you wanted to be in Philly...

That's really the only question you need to answer. Neither school is particularly good, but if you're going for free (and especially if you have a standing job offer once you get your JD), then just pick the one where you want to end up living. The biggest mistake you can make in this situation is going to one of these schools and thinking that the degree will be portable to another state.

Particularly if you are interested in a specialized program - i think op mentioned something about a health law program. In my experience, these programs are a nice marketing ploy, but don't mean much in substance. Most employers aren't going to care if you took some classes and got a "health law certificate" versus another student who took health law classes (or whatever type of courses) and wasn't rewarded with some "certificate."

Return to “Choosing a Law School�