Top schools for IP law

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
BobBoblaw

Bronze

Top schools for IP law

Postby BobBoblaw » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:37 am

Hello all,
I wanted to consult the TLS hive mind as to which schools have a reputation for particularly strong IP programs. I'm really only considering T1 schools, T14 preferably. I would be going into the 'hard IP' subfield (patent litigation and prosecution as opposed to copyright/trademark), and would be focusing on biotech FWIW.

Nebby

Diamond

Re: Top schools for IP law

Postby Nebby » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:08 pm

So long as you have the technical background necessary, any T14 school would suffice

postard

Bronze

Postby postard » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:28 pm

Nebby wrote:So long as you have the technical background necessary, any T14 school would suffice

Which, for biotech, could likely need to be more than a B.S.

BobBoblaw

Bronze

Postby BobBoblaw » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:36 pm

postard wrote:
Nebby wrote:So long as you have the technical background necessary, any T14 school would suffice

I do have a PhD in the life sciences from an ivy league, so I think I'm set there...

existentialcrisis

Bronze

Postby existentialcrisis » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:00 pm

desperate4lawschool

New

Postby desperate4lawschool » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:46 pm

Top IP schools don't necessarily translate to T14 school.

If you're really adamant about T14 school, you're only left with Berkeley, Stanford, and NYU. I went to law school part-time, so GW was the best option.

postard

Bronze

Postby postard » Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:17 am

BobBoblaw wrote:
postard wrote:

I do have a PhD in the life sciences from an ivy league, so I think I'm set there...

Santa Clara also has a pretty good part time program, which would let you try out prosecution to get a sense of whether you want to focus on that versus litigation.

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:10 am

postard wrote:
BobBoblaw wrote:
postard wrote:

Santa Clara also has a pretty good part time program, which would let you try out prosecution to get a sense of whether you want to focus on that versus litigation.

Santa Clara will also give you the chance to learn more about bankruptcy, when you graduate with up to $260k of debt and don't get a job as a lawyer.

Please stop.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:46 am

desperate4lawschool wrote:Top IP schools don't necessarily translate to T14 school.

If you're really adamant about T14 school, you're only left with Berkeley, Stanford, and NYU. I went to law school part-time, so GW was the best option.

No. this is dumb. Don't listen to this person.

Stanford and Berkeley are best known for tech related scholarship and clinical work, but Duke and Columbia both have prominent faculty and reputations in IP law, and it's not like you'll be IP-starved from any T14. I'm sure qualified Yale students find a way of squeezing into IP.

First Offense

Platinum

Postby First Offense » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:02 pm

Just go to the best T14 you can for the money. All of them can break into IP without much of a problem assuming you have the qualifications.

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:24 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
desperate4lawschool wrote:Top IP schools don't necessarily translate to T14 school.

No. this is dumb. Don't listen to this person.

Stanford and Berkeley are best known for tech related scholarship and clinical work, but Duke and Columbia both have prominent faculty and reputations in IP law, and it's not like you'll be IP-starved from any T14. I'm sure qualified Yale students find a way of squeezing into IP.

This. Too often people equate the university's strength in tech/engineering/etc. to mean it will also be strong in IP in the law school. While your credentials with your specific tech background will be important (as noted before, possibly even more important than the law school in some instances), there is no correlation between the engineering school and coinciding IP strength in the law school. Go to the best school you can for the cheapest amount paid and praise the gods of patents that you have a bit of a leg up in hiring because you're an intellectual minority in law school and have training in a valuable skill.

Return to “Choosing a Law School�