Is this the correct packing order? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Nebby

Diamond

Re: Is this the correct packing order?

Post by Nebby » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:30 pm

At the airport. My carry on contains

Gym shoes
Squat shoes
lifting belt
Two bar collars
Two knee sleeves
5 pair of underwear
3 pair of socks
2 button ups
Jeans
Suit jacket
Hoodie
Pajama pants
Tank top
2 t-shirts
2 Gym shorts

How'd I do?

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:35 pm

trebekismyhero wrote:If you have shirts and a suit, wouldn't you bring a garment bag? I feel like placing collared shirts and dress pants in a suitcase is just asking for a lot of wrinkles
It depends how long the flight is generally for me as well as how compressed the suit will be.

I inverse half of my suit jacket and put it into the the other side, roll a t-shirt/socks and put them in the shoulder to keep form. I roll the pants to minimize wrinkles. Dress shirts/pants aren't terrible to iron, it's the jacket that takes the most time. I use a garment bag, but a trash bag can work too; these really cut down on wrinkles. You can take trash bags and layer things that will wrinkle with bags in between them.

There should be guides online, but this is the easiest method I've found. It has actually produced less wrinkles for me then just wearing the suit jacket, and I'm clumsy so I always spill during plane flights. Also it's way more comfortable.

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:36 pm

Nebby wrote:At the airport. My carry on contains

Gym shoes
Squat shoes
lifting belt
Two bar collars
Two knee sleeves
5 pair of underwear
3 pair of socks
2 button ups
Jeans
Suit jacket
Hoodie
Pajama pants
Tank top
2 t-shirts
2 Gym shorts

How'd I do?
Doesn't sound hard until you consider the shoes (two pairs!!) and careful suit jacket packing. Now THIS should be stickied.

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:50 pm

Gym shoes
Squat shoes
lifting belt
Two bar collars
Two knee sleeves
5 pair of underwear
3 pair of socks
2 button ups
Jeans
Suit jacket
Hoodie
Pajama pants
Tank top
2 t-shirts
2 Gym shorts

How'd I do?
1. Why the hell do you need to bring bar collars with you?
2. you should wear the suit jacket.

Otherwise dece considering the extra pair of shoes.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:06 pm

poptart123 wrote:
trebekismyhero wrote:If you have shirts and a suit, wouldn't you bring a garment bag? I feel like placing collared shirts and dress pants in a suitcase is just asking for a lot of wrinkles
It depends how long the flight is generally for me as well as how compressed the suit will be.

I inverse half of my suit jacket and put it into the the other side, roll a t-shirt/socks and put them in the shoulder to keep form. I roll the pants to minimize wrinkles. Dress shirts/pants aren't terrible to iron, it's the jacket that takes the most time. I use a garment bag, but a trash bag can work too; these really cut down on wrinkles. You can take trash bags and layer things that will wrinkle with bags in between them.

There should be guides online, but this is the easiest method I've found. It has actually produced less wrinkles for me then just wearing the suit jacket, and I'm clumsy so I always spill during plane flights. Also it's way more comfortable.
I do that with jackets too! Totally works.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:57 pm

dabigchina wrote:

Gym shoes
Squat shoes
lifting belt
Two bar collars
Two knee sleeves
5 pair of underwear
3 pair of socks
2 button ups
Jeans
Suit jacket
Hoodie
Pajama pants
Tank top
2 t-shirts
2 Gym shorts

How'd I do?
1. Why the hell do you need to bring bar collars with you?
2. you should wear the suit jacket.

Otherwise dece considering the extra pair of shoes.
I already had a coat on and didn't wanna double up. I bring the bar collars because I'm lifting at an unfamiliar gym and like to be prepared :lol:

bmathers

Silver

Post by bmathers » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:55 pm

If socks can easily be crammed into small places, why do you suggest putting them in first?

Also, socks and underwear are two things I reallly overpack... there is such a low risk for such potential value. A few extra pairs takes up next to no space. but is a lifesaver if you need them. On a 5 day trip, I'm packing 7-8 pairs of underwear and maybe 8-10 pairs of socks.

McGruff

Bronze

Post by McGruff » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:00 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
poptart123 wrote:

I do that with jackets too! Totally works.
This sounds brilliant I am definitely doing this.

Also: if you can find big ziplocks, blowing or leaving a little air in them before you zip it up helps cut down on wrinkles for whatever's in there, size it buffers the other contents from rubbing up against it

AZ123

New

Post by AZ123 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:22 am

How do you guys pack ties? Roll them? Roll them and stuff them in a sock?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Chipotle85

Bronze

Post by Chipotle85 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:17 am

dabigchina wrote:OP: give up. This is now a thread about packing. Incidentally, this should be stickied for people who travel for EIP.
HYPSM wrote: Why pants first?

Pants (assuming they are not jeans or sweatpants that you can roll up) lie flatter, thus creating a better base for the rest of your clothes. They are also heavier than other articles of clothing, thus making your bag less topheavy.

Also why would u put a (collared) shirt anywhere but the top. It's going to fuck up the collar way more than it is already going to be otherwise.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Nothing better than a nice jeans/khakis base to build upon.

bmathers

Silver

Post by bmathers » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:17 am

I've actually learned quite a bit from this thread. I'm glad that we had this conversation. Thank you for bringing this up, OP.

joeyc328

Bronze

Post by joeyc328 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:07 am

Everyone should consider buying Raw Denim Jeans. You do not have to wash them and they do not stink. Huge space saver when packing

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:51 pm

AZ123 wrote:How do you guys pack ties? Roll them? Roll them and stuff them in a sock?
interested in this as well. I always manage to fuck up my ties royally.
Nebby wrote: I bring the bar collars because I'm lifting at an unfamiliar gym and like to be prepared :lol:
on further reflection this is actually a great idea.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”