Looking to go into public interest, needing some perspectives

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
airwrecka

Silver

Looking to go into public interest, needing some perspectives

Postby airwrecka » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:40 pm

Hello all,
I'll try to keep the facts of my situation pretty straight-forward:

-Numbers: 170 / 3.9, graduated summa cum laude from University of MN (not sure if my honors mean anything to law schools, but I did write a 60+ page thesis presented in front of a faculty committee to get it)
-Great LORs (two members of my thesis committee who were also professors and loved me as well as my current boss--I am a legal assistant for him at a very small local law firm)
-Worked through most of college, graduated Dec 2015 and will continue working until starting school Fall 2017; internships at local immigration law nonprofits
-Gap year between high school & college when I lived abroad, volunteering
-I have applied to most of the T14, as well as University of MN (since I love Minneapolis & my undergrad was great there) and UCLA (applied for the PI program)
-I am married, and my husband has a great job in the Twin Cities (currently making ~70k but might be offered a job this week at 90-100k - he is in business), but he is willing/wants to move anywhere that I want to go to school. Due to the nature of his work, he is confident he could find a good job (or transfer within his company--he works at a Fortune 500) pretty much anywhere.
-I want to go into public interest law, probably specifically immigration law (although I'm not dead-set on the immigration part)
-My parents have generously told me that no matter where I go to school, or what kind of scholarship offer I get, they will cover half my tuition cost (after scholarships have been applied--so for instance, if I get a 50% scholarship somewhere, my parents will pay a remaining 25% of the tuition and I'll be responsible for the remaining 25%)

I know that I will probably be offered a significant scholarship at MN (if not a full-ride), at least based on talking with my adviser at MN and my numbers. I absolutely love the Twin Cities, and where I live is exactly half-way between my parents and my husbands' parents, so great location. However, I also know I can get in to higher ranked schools (already accepted at GULC), and I am really excited about the idea of living somewhere new. I don't want to stay in MN just because it's nice and easy. I know that I would love living in plenty of other places, too, and I really don't want to look back at life and think "what if I had just tried to live somewhere else for a while?"

I applied for the Root-Tilden-Kern scholarship at NYU, but I have no idea if I have any shot (I'm a white, upper-middle-class girl from WI...not exactly diverse). It would be amazing, though, and if I were to get it, that would easily be my first choice.

What are your opinions about what I should do? Do I have any real shot at the Root-Tilden? Is it worth it to stay in Minnesota with a significant scholarship, but never experience anywhere else? Is MN a good school to attend if I am super interested in public interest? Are HYS worth it at all, if I were to get accepted (caveat: I didn't apply to Yale--just Harvard and Stanford)? What about Berkeley, Chicago, Columbia, or NYU (w/out the scholarship)?

BigZuck

Diamond

Re: Looking to go into public interest, needing some perspectives

Postby BigZuck » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:01 pm

You don't have any real options for us to consider, and there's a lot of personal factors that we can't really weigh in on. I'm not sure what we could do for you at this point.

airwrecka

Silver

Postby airwrecka » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:04 pm

BigZuck wrote:You don't have any real options for us to consider, and there's a lot of personal factors that we can't really weigh in on. I'm not sure what we could do for you at this point.

Fair enough. I wondered if it were too soon to post...waiting for decisions has got my brain going crazy with what-if scenarios so I brought them here :roll:

BigZuck

Diamond

Postby BigZuck » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:09 pm

airwrecka wrote:
BigZuck wrote:You don't have any real options for us to consider, and there's a lot of personal factors that we can't really weigh in on. I'm not sure what we could do for you at this point.

Fair enough. I wondered if it were too soon to post...waiting for decisions has got my brain going crazy with what-if scenarios so I brought them here :roll:

I think literally every person on this board who has applied to law school has been in the same position. Just sit tight, try not to let the waiting game make you go crazy, and then come back when you have your options in front of you

The personal factors you're probably going to have to do some soul searching and try to figure it out with loved ones. Luckily you have a lot of time to sort that stuff all out.

Return to “Choosing a Law School�