LMU vs. USC Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Boltsfan

New

Re: LMU vs. USC

Post by Boltsfan » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:53 pm

acr wrote:
Boltsfan wrote:
zot1 wrote:
I'm not a USC fan, so I'd be cool with no one ever going there again.
If you want to work in LA and you get in for free/close to free I think it's a pretty solid choice. I'd probably prefer UCLA, but I'd still feel a heck of a lot better about my chances of a positive career outcome going to USC than the other regional schools in the area of Loyola, Pepperdine, or UC Irvine.
UC Irvine is actually decent (on a full scholarship of course). UCLA is still the top dog, with USC a close second, but Irvine and the likes of Pepperdine/Loyola are in different tiers.
Irvine is better in general or better at cracking the LA market/entertainment law market? I agree with the former, but I haven't seen a lot of evidence that Irvine does better than Loyola in placing grads in LA. I'm sure Irvine does well in Orange County, but I assume entertainment law is more of an LA thing.

I'm pretty sure entertainment law is just contracts that people think are a lot sexier than they actually are, and consequently I haven't really bothered to learn a lot about the entertainment law market, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

zot1

Gold

Re: LMU vs. USC

Post by zot1 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:06 pm

Boltsfan wrote:
acr wrote:
Boltsfan wrote:
zot1 wrote:
I'm not a USC fan, so I'd be cool with no one ever going there again.
If you want to work in LA and you get in for free/close to free I think it's a pretty solid choice. I'd probably prefer UCLA, but I'd still feel a heck of a lot better about my chances of a positive career outcome going to USC than the other regional schools in the area of Loyola, Pepperdine, or UC Irvine.
UC Irvine is actually decent (on a full scholarship of course). UCLA is still the top dog, with USC a close second, but Irvine and the likes of Pepperdine/Loyola are in different tiers.
Irvine is better in general or better at cracking the LA market/entertainment law market? I agree with the former, but I haven't seen a lot of evidence that Irvine does better than Loyola in placing grads in LA. I'm sure Irvine does well in Orange County, but I assume entertainment law is more of an LA thing.

I'm pretty sure entertainment law is just contracts that people think are a lot sexier than they actually are, and consequently I haven't really bothered to learn a lot about the entertainment law market, so please correct me if I'm wrong.
So many things to unpack here, and I'm just really beat. I'll try my best, but I might forget to cover something.

UCI likely places more grads than Loyola in LA: yes. This is true if you look at it proportionally (Loyola has more students per class than UCI) and when you consider the quality of the jobs. Biglaw wise, for example, I have no problem saying that UCI students who wanted to be in LA ended up in LA biglaw.

UCI likely places more grads than Loyola in LA for entertainment law: sort of. Loyola has an entertainment concentration program, but as someone pointed out, entertainment law means working at a firm. The thing is that there are very few people who still go to top law schools wanting to be entertainment lawyers. The two people I knew who were gunning for this type of law are doing it. But keep in mind that firms generally place you in a practice group, so more often than not, you sort of fall into entertainment law. So it's really not that smart to go to law school, specially at sticker, to be an entertainment lawyer.

Yes, entertainment law isn't as sexy as people think. It involves contracts, labor, patents, among other things. Again, this is the sort of work that major firms do, so schools that place you in those firms are the way to go.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”