UVA($$$) vs GULC($$$)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
CenterFringe

Bronze

UVA($$$) vs GULC($$$)

Postby CenterFringe » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:28 pm

I've been accepted to both Georgetown and Virginia, but I'm having hard time deciding between them, considering my specific career goals. Money is not a consideration (GI Bill covers full COA, including the higher COL for DC).

Ideally, I want to work as a regulatory compliance attorney with the Department of Energy, Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, or Nuclear Regulatory Committee (preferably in their environmental departments). I have no interest in Big Law, but may be interested clerking. I will definitely be trying to get into the DOE Honors, and want to intern/extern in DC during the summer. I may be interested in Clerking, if it makes sense professionally.

I'm torn, because UVA seems to be the generally better school, but GULC really sets its self up as DC/Fed feeder (I know, for example, they have a government OCI). On the other hand, I've heard there are so many GULC applicants in DC, that it's actually a disadvantage. I've read what UVA/GULC comparison posts were available, but there was nothing about people going Federal w/o financial considerations.

Thanks for your help.

Go Nats!

New

Re: UVA($$$) vs GULC($$$)

Postby Go Nats! » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:24 pm

UVA Class of 2013 here.

I don't think you lose either way here. UVA feeds into government work here in DC too. I worked in Congress before and an agency now and have numerous classmates of mine who did the same. When I was there, the school was opening up more externship opportunities - had a friend basically spend a semester working at Treasury his 3L - so if the DC proximity was an issue, it shouldn't be. If clerking is an opportunity you care about plenty of students clerk and I'm sure you can talk Ruth Payne (if she's still there) or the admission guys and they'll give you stats about that.

Congratulations. Getting into these schools with $$$ is a fantastic position to be in.

P.S. Aside from your career goals, I'm required to tell you that UVA is a fantastic place to be. I didn't enjoy law school but I enjoyed being in Charlottesville with the kind of friendly atmosphere that school creates.

PrezRand

Gold

Postby PrezRand » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:32 pm

Go Nats! wrote:UVA Class of 2013 here.

I don't think you lose either way here. UVA feeds into government work here in DC too. I worked in Congress before and an agency now and have numerous classmates of mine who did the same. When I was there, the school was opening up more externship opportunities - had a friend basically spend a semester working at Treasury his 3L - so if the DC proximity was an issue, it shouldn't be. If clerking is an opportunity you care about plenty of students clerk and I'm sure you can talk Ruth Payne (if she's still there) or the admission guys and they'll give you stats about that.

Congratulations. Getting into these schools with $$$ is a fantastic position to be in.

P.S. Aside from your career goals, I'm required to tell you that UVA is a fantastic place to be. I didn't enjoy law school but I enjoyed being in Charlottesville with the kind of friendly atmosphere that school creates.

What type of government work is available through UVA?

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:33 pm

Guess this isn't a particularly helpful post, but I am not sure what advantages GULC would have over UVA if its not cheaper or you don't have some personal reasons to be in DC (own a home, spouse needs to a larger city to find work, etc).

UVA has significantly better employment numbers any way you cut it.

Great outcome either way. good luck!

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:38 pm

guybourdin wrote: I am not sure what advantages GULC would have over UVA if its not cheaper or you don't have some personal reasons to be in DC (

In semester networking and internships, but if OP is a competent networker they could successfully network from either school

Go Nats!

New

Postby Go Nats! » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:42 pm

It's been three years so I can't remember exactly what agencies stopped by for OGI or anything like that. But there was a contingent of UVA Law people who went to the Hill my year or DOJ or other agencies. Maybe "feeding into" is a strong term?

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
guybourdin wrote: I am not sure what advantages GULC would have over UVA if its not cheaper or you don't have some personal reasons to be in DC (

In semester networking and internships, but if OP is a competent networker they could successfully network from either school

Yep.

Glasseyes

Silver

Postby Glasseyes » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:01 pm

I doubt anyone can articulate why either school would give you an appreciable edge for your specific goals, and in reality it's probably a wash: GULC is in DC, thus potential networking benefits; UVA is a "better" school and everyone knows it's harder to get into, plus it still sends a ton of kids to DC.

With that in mind, UVA is less risky in that you get a softer landing if your grades suck or if you decide you want to do something else at any point in the future. It's hard to predict what you'll actually enjoy in practice before you try this stuff out: litigation, corporate, and regulatory practice are all quite different and you might fall in love with something you currently think you'd hate. More realistically, you might hate one area less than the thing you currently think you'll like.

CenterFringe

Bronze

Postby CenterFringe » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:15 pm

Glasseyes wrote:With that in mind, UVA is less risky in that you get a softer landing if your grades suck or if you decide you want to do something else at any point in the future.

This has been my biggest impression of the difference, other than big vs mid sized city. Although I hate to do it, I'm at the point where I think I'll just fly out there and spend a day at each school, to see if one "clicks" more than the other.

gotCentred

New

Postby gotCentred » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:04 pm

I'm a current Georgetown student. For your goals, I think Georgetown makes the most sense. I think these forums overstate the difference in perceived quality among non-HYS T14s, especially for government employers. That is, I think government hiring panels will not give preference to UVA over Georgetown. Because you seem to know exactly what you want to do, you'll be able to target that job throughout law school. Networking helps quite a bit for these jobs in my experience. More importantly, though, you will probably be able to work for these agencies during the school year. It's very easy to get DC area jobs during the school year from Georgetown. I've worked at two government agencies so far. I've met people at each who got their job by interning in the offices at which they currently work throughout law school - and these people went to George Mason/American. I can't promise this will translate to the agencies you mentioned, but going to the best law school in the area you hope to work post graduation presents clear benefits.

Return to “Choosing a Law School�