Ohio State University Employment outcomes/geography

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bmathers

Ohio State University Employment outcomes/geography

Postby bmathers » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:39 am

Is anyone familiar with Ohio State's influence beyond LST reports? Do we have any former students on here, or anyone with personal experience? According to LST, over 70% of their grads work in Ohio, and they don't have any state reports other than Ohio's, but I am curious if that's by choice of the graduates, or if it really is difficult to secure employment in surrounding/bordering states with an OSU law degree?

They have roughly a 75% employment rating, but 77% of the 2015 graduating class stayed in Ohio. Just wondering if 3/4 of the class staying in-state is by choice, or a lack of employment options elsewhere. Thanks

existentialcrisis

Re: Ohio State University Employment outcomes/geography

Postby existentialcrisis » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:06 pm

Where do you want to work? Generally speaking, regional schools are going to place a huge portion of their class in-state.

bmathers

Postby bmathers » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:10 pm

existentialcrisis wrote:Where do you want to work? Generally speaking, regional schools are going to place a huge portion of their class in-state.

I have family primarily in PA and Atlanta (lesser in SC, Montana, and Hawaii) - So, I would like to stay in PA, the Carolinas, or the Atlanta area. I know OSU is about middle of the pack for tier 1 schools - I understand that most schools outside of the T14 are regional, but wondering if their region/influence extends into PA and may provide more name recognition then Pitt/Nova/Temple/Dickinson if I choose to move down south later.

buckeyeesq

Postby buckeyeesq » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:48 pm

Newly-minted Buckeye lawyer here. Employed at a large Pittsburgh firm. Just passed the Bar.

I struggled with the very question you're asking when choosing a law school. Always wanted to move back to PA, but wanted to go to OSU Law. I would say that yes, the regional influence does extend to PA, particularly to Pittsburgh (not really sure about Philadelphia). Particularly if you have ties to the Pittsburgh area to begin with. Big firms in Pgh do hire a lot of Pitt/Duquesne grads, but if you want to work in Big Law, need to be top of class for those schools. For OSU, can afford not to be quite 5-10%, but still need to be up there.

Highly recommend OSU law and working PA connections. Can't say enough good things about a school that really understands the market, the trajectory of employer demands, and student needs. Career Services office at OSU has a number of Pittsburgh ties, and wants to send more kids there when interest exists. PM me for more - hope this helps.

existentialcrisis

Postby existentialcrisis » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:07 pm

bmathers wrote:
existentialcrisis wrote:Where do you want to work? Generally speaking, regional schools are going to place a huge portion of their class in-state.

I have family primarily in PA and Atlanta (lesser in SC, Montana, and Hawaii) - So, I would like to stay in PA, the Carolinas, or the Atlanta area. I know OSU is about middle of the pack for tier 1 schools - I understand that most schools outside of the T14 are regional, but wondering if their region/influence extends into PA and may provide more name recognition then Pitt/Nova/Temple/Dickinson if I choose to move down south later.

Notwithstanding the dude above, if you don't want big law, I would try to go to school in the state where you want to practice. Any small advantage in reputation will almost assuredly be outweighed by much better networking opportunities. OSU might be a reputable school, but it's not a national one, and I highly doubt it's enough to punch above its weight in PA. If it's PA you want, I would try to go to temple/villanova on a big scholarship. Likewise, if you want ATL, I'd look to go to UG with a sizable scholly.

If you want to work in big law, in Pittsburgh or Philly or whatever, I wouldn't go to OSU with that goal.

Goldie

Postby Goldie » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:20 pm

I think that a large percentage of the students there come from Ohio, but by no means all. There are plenty of people there from different states who are there because it's the best school they got into or for some other reason, but who don't necessarily plan to stay in Ohio.

Some Ohio State grads end up in places like Pittsburgh. K&L Gates has 4 attorneys there from Ohio State: the two associates are honors grads (cum laude or magna cum laude/order of the coif.) Reed Smith has 2 attorneys there from Ohio State: at least one of which was magna cum laude/order of the coif.

Generally, though, if you want a clerkship or a chance to work at big law firms, the odds are definitely stacked against you. For clerkships, you better be in the top few students. For big law firms, you often need to be in the top 10-15%. (I'm sure there are exceptions, but that's my general sense.)

If you know a particular area you want to be, it might be worth looking into schools there. If you think you'll end up in the south, I would think that Ohio State would carry more weight (thanks to its rank and the university's reputation) than a lesser known/more regional PA law school. But if you think you'll end up in PA, it might be worth going to a PA school that might have stronger ties to the area.

bmathers

Postby bmathers » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:06 am

Thanks all. I will at least shoot them an application and do a little more research on where the attorneys are from (other than locally) at some firm in the PA and Atlanta areas.

Although they do not have a disability law clinic, other things I have seen from OSU makes it seem like they out some emphasis on that area (Iĺl look at their course offerings). I also spent the last 4.5 years in inner-city schools and have really grown the embrace the type of students that I work with, helping them succeed and offering them (many/most of which are fatherless) a positive male influence. I have some stories about how much they crave a male influence... I´ll go into an elementary school, and often the toughest kids will react so much differently with me as their teacher 0 they will suddenly participate, pay attention, etc. A number of times, I have even had a ¨tough¨ student break down in tears at the end of the day because they miss their father. It´ś tough, but I think their ¨Justice for Children" clinic would be right up my alley.

blueapple

Postby blueapple » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:32 am

bmathers wrote:Thanks all. I will at least shoot them an application and do a little more research on where the attorneys are from (other than locally) at some firm in the PA and Atlanta areas.

Although they do not have a disability law clinic, other things I have seen from OSU makes it seem like they out some emphasis on that area (Iĺl look at their course offerings). I also spent the last 4.5 years in inner-city schools and have really grown the embrace the type of students that I work with, helping them succeed and offering them (many/most of which are fatherless) a positive male influence. I have some stories about how much they crave a male influence... I´ll go into an elementary school, and often the toughest kids will react so much differently with me as their teacher 0 they will suddenly participate, pay attention, etc. A number of times, I have even had a ¨tough¨ student break down in tears at the end of the day because they miss their father. It´ś tough, but I think their ¨Justice for Children" clinic would be right up my alley.

1) Take course listings with a grain of salt. i.e. Don't put much stock in them. If a school has 3 disability courses listed, for example, it could mean that there's been one taught every other semester. And what matters most is putting yourself in the best position to get a job, don't forget that.
2) Many, many, many schools have clinics where you represent juveniles -- do a bit more investigating!

It sounds like you're trying to talk yourself into OSU for some reason and I'm not quite sure why. Take a look at schools in PA and GA if those are the areas you are interested in practicing (I know you said you plan on doing this -- just emphasizing that I think this is the best thing you can do right now). You mention in the OP that you are concerned about name recognition if you move later on, but you need to be more concerned about getting a job out of school. Once you've worked for a bit, your experience matters much more than the school you went to (especially when looking at schools outside of the T-14).

bmathers

Postby bmathers » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:38 am

blueapple wrote:
bmathers wrote:Thanks all. I will at least shoot them an application and do a little more research on where the attorneys are from (other than locally) at some firm in the PA and Atlanta areas.

1) Take course listings with a grain of salt. i.e. Don't put much stock in them. If a school has 3 disability courses listed, for example, it could mean that there's been one taught every other semester. And what matters most is putting yourself in the best position to get a job, don't forget that.
2) Many, many, many schools have clinics where you represent juveniles -- do a bit more investigating!

It sounds like you're trying to talk yourself into OSU for some reason and I'm not quite sure why. Take a look at schools in PA and GA if those are the areas you are interested in practicing (I know you said you plan on doing this -- just emphasizing that I think this is the best thing you can do right now). You mention in the OP that you are concerned about name recognition if you move later on, but you need to be more concerned about getting a job out of school. Once you've worked for a bit, your experience matters much more than the school you went to (especially when looking at schools outside of the T-14).

First off, considering you have a Michigan avatar, I´ḿ not sure how seriously I should take your analysis of OSU :wink: .

Second, I am applying to Dickinson, Rutgers, PSU, Villanova, Drexel, Temple, Pitt, Duquesne, GA State, Emory, and Mercer. Iḿ now looking around the fringes to find some new schools to apply to for negotiating power, etc.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:06 am

blueapple wrote:

^ this is a very good post. Re: courses, that's really only an issue on the margins - all law schools offer the tools to get basically any legal job; it's a generalist's degree, not a specialized one. Only go to a law school for specific courses when all else about employment opportunities, region, and cost is equal.

squishylawstudent321

Postby squishylawstudent321 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:36 am

Goldie wrote:I think that a large percentage of the students there come from Ohio, but by no means all. There are plenty of people there from different states who are there because it's the best school they got into or for some other reason, but who don't necessarily plan to stay in Ohio.

Some Ohio State grads end up in places like Pittsburgh. K&L Gates has 4 attorneys there from Ohio State: the two associates are honors grads (cum laude or magna cum laude/order of the coif.) Reed Smith has 2 attorneys there from Ohio State: at least one of which was magna cum laude/order of the coif.

Is K&L one of the firms that regularly no-offers a decent portion of its summer class?

OSUALUM

Postby OSUALUM » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:31 pm

Recent OSU Law grad. I would echo buckeyeesq below. Ohio State graduates are by no means limited to staying in Ohio. Students stay in Ohio because they want to be in Ohio. If you know that you want to be in PA, then the career services staff will work with you knowing that- they do a great job of meeting the needs of all students. A quick search of Moritz alumni shows about 50 alumni practicing in both Atlanta and Pittsburgh in a mixture of big law, smaller firms, and public sector. A Moritz degree is valuable nationwide- it really just depends on where you want to be.

In regards to your prior teaching experience- you should look into the Law and Leadership Institute partnership that Ohio State has. You sound like an awesome fit for that program. It is a pipeline program for highschool students from underserved and minority communities in Ohio. Law students have opportunies to teach students about the law and act as mentors throughout their time in LLI (it is an awesome program).

Ohio State solves both of your concerns (name recognition later on, and getting a job right out of school). Moritz is ranked 16th in the country (4th amongst public schools) for graduates with long term employment, and the name has recognition nationwide. I can certainly understand the argument that networking is easier when you go to school in the local market. I have never found that to be an issue. There are Moritz alumni in every state that are so willing and excited to help Moritz students. Career services does a great job of connecting students to alumni in target markets.

I had offers from my share of schools, and I really didn't know where I wanted to be after graduation. But, I fell in love with the culture and community at Moritz, and it was the best decision of my life.

smow4029

Postby smow4029 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:43 pm

OSUALUM wrote:Recent OSU Law grad. I would echo buckeyeesq below. Ohio State graduates are by no means limited to staying in Ohio. Students stay in Ohio because they want to be in Ohio. If you know that you want to be in PA, then the career services staff will work with you knowing that- they do a great job of meeting the needs of all students. A quick search of Moritz alumni shows about 50 alumni practicing in both Atlanta and Pittsburgh in a mixture of big law, smaller firms, and public sector. A Moritz degree is valuable nationwide- it really just depends on where you want to be.

In regards to your prior teaching experience- you should look into the Law and Leadership Institute partnership that Ohio State has. You sound like an awesome fit for that program. It is a pipeline program for highschool students from underserved and minority communities in Ohio. Law students have opportunies to teach students about the law and act as mentors throughout their time in LLI (it is an awesome program).

Ohio State solves both of your concerns (name recognition later on, and getting a job right out of school). Moritz is ranked 16th in the country (4th amongst public schools) for graduates with long term employment, and the name has recognition nationwide. I can certainly understand the argument that networking is easier when you go to school in the local market. I have never found that to be an issue. There are Moritz alumni in every state that are so willing and excited to help Moritz students. Career services does a great job of connecting students to alumni in target markets.

I had offers from my share of schools, and I really didn't know where I wanted to be after graduation. But, I fell in love with the culture and community at Moritz, and it was the best decision of my life.

Currently considering OSU as a top choice, have decently strong ties to Ohio and love Columbus. Would you mind if I PM you with some questions regarding your own decision/experience?

OSUALUM

Postby OSUALUM » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:47 pm

smow4029 wrote:
OSUALUM wrote:Recent OSU Law grad. I would echo buckeyeesq below. Ohio State graduates are by no means limited to staying in Ohio. Students stay in Ohio because they want to be in Ohio. If you know that you want to be in PA, then the career services staff will work with you knowing that- they do a great job of meeting the needs of all students. A quick search of Moritz alumni shows about 50 alumni practicing in both Atlanta and Pittsburgh in a mixture of big law, smaller firms, and public sector. A Moritz degree is valuable nationwide- it really just depends on where you want to be.

Currently considering OSU as a top choice, have decently strong ties to Ohio and love Columbus. Would you mind if I PM you with some questions regarding your own decision/experience?

Absolutely! Happy to answer any questions!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”