What school should I shoot for if I wanted to work in Chicago?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
ForumCommissar

New
Posts: 88
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:40 am

What school should I shoot for if I wanted to work in Chicago?

Postby ForumCommissar » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:35 pm

I grew up in North Shore, and have, upon graduation, what I expect to be anywhere from a 3.75 GPA to a 3.8 GPA. I got a 160 on my diagnostic and let's assume I can get a 175 after 10 months of study.

I know the lower T14 would be within my reach, but Chicago is a rather big if, and Northwestern may want work experience first. Most of my family lives in the Chicago area thus that is where all of my ties are.

Say I went to somewhere like Cornell or another lower T14 school not near Chicago. Could I still score a big-law job there?

grades??

Silver
Posts: 984
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:55 pm

Re: What school should I shoot for if I wanted to work in Chicago?

Postby grades?? » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:43 pm

Thats a big assumption. I hope you get there but remember, less than half of 1 percent of test takers get a 175. It is by no means guaranteed that you get even near 175. Until you have an lsat score that will get you into a t14 (which you currently don't), then this shouldn't be a worry. Just worry about the lsat and crush it.

User avatar
ForumCommissar

New
Posts: 88
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:40 am

Re: What school should I shoot for if I wanted to work in Chicago?

Postby ForumCommissar » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:47 pm

grades?? wrote:Thats a big assumption. I hope you get there but remember, less than half of 1 percent of test takers get a 175. It is by no means guaranteed that you get even near 175. Until you have an lsat score that will get you into a t14 (which you currently don't), then this shouldn't be a worry. Just worry about the lsat and crush it.

Don't worry lol, if I can't get a good LSAT this question doesn't even matter because I won't be going to law school. I was just wondering while I had time to spare.

EDIT: To further add, I also have plans if I get a 170 or so, 175 is on the optimistic side.

grades??

Silver
Posts: 984
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:55 pm

Re: What school should I shoot for if I wanted to work in Chicago?

Postby grades?? » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:26 am

ForumCommissar wrote:
grades?? wrote:Thats a big assumption. I hope you get there but remember, less than half of 1 percent of test takers get a 175. It is by no means guaranteed that you get even near 175. Until you have an lsat score that will get you into a t14 (which you currently don't), then this shouldn't be a worry. Just worry about the lsat and crush it.

Don't worry lol, if I can't get a good LSAT this question doesn't even matter because I won't be going to law school. I was just wondering while I had time to spare.

EDIT: To further add, I also have plans if I get a 170 or so, 175 is on the optimistic side.


Listen I appreciate your optimism. As a 175+ scorer, I know the legit work it takes to get there. Less wondering while I had time to spare, more studying the lsat. For example, I took every single lsat that had been released at the time (like 1-74 or so) 3 times. In full testing conditions. It took me a full year. To get the 170+ mark, it takes a long time and a lot of studying.

User avatar
ForumCommissar

New
Posts: 88
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:40 am

Re: What school should I shoot for if I wanted to work in Chicago?

Postby ForumCommissar » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:38 am

grades?? wrote:
ForumCommissar wrote:
grades?? wrote:Thats a big assumption. I hope you get there but remember, less than half of 1 percent of test takers get a 175. It is by no means guaranteed that you get even near 175. Until you have an lsat score that will get you into a t14 (which you currently don't), then this shouldn't be a worry. Just worry about the lsat and crush it.

Don't worry lol, if I can't get a good LSAT this question doesn't even matter because I won't be going to law school. I was just wondering while I had time to spare.

EDIT: To further add, I also have plans if I get a 170 or so, 175 is on the optimistic side.


Listen I appreciate your optimism. As a 175+ scorer, I know the legit work it takes to get there. Less wondering while I had time to spare, more studying the lsat. For example, I took every single lsat that had been released at the time (like 1-74 or so) 3 times. In full testing conditions. It took me a full year. To get the 170+ mark, it takes a long time and a lot of studying.

Well thanks for that. I'm not trying to say that it doesn't a lot of hard work. But I'm not about to take a PT 30 minutes before bed, a year before the test. I already practice several hours a day.

I'm sure you worked very hard, congratulations. I am fully aware of the work required, and you are taking a little too much about my life from a 3 sentence post that took a minute to make.

User avatar
jbagelboy

Diamond
Posts: 10245
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: What school should I shoot for if I wanted to work in Chicago?

Postby jbagelboy » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:05 am

I would target UChicago with a sizable scholarship as your top choice. or NU.
Last edited by jbagelboy on Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nebby

Diamond
Posts: 31199
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: What school should I shoot for if I wanted to work in Chicago?

Postby Nebby » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:21 am

Don't put the cart before the horse

zeglo

Silver
Posts: 664
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:42 pm

Re: What school should I shoot for if I wanted to work in Chicago?

Postby zeglo » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:40 pm

.
Last edited by zeglo on Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
guynourmin

Gold
Posts: 3428
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:42 pm

Re: What school should I shoot for if I wanted to work in Chicago?

Postby guynourmin » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:10 pm

Pretty pointless thought exercise at this point, but if you score a 175, you should just go to Chicago and stop thinking about it - there is no better option. imo, its unlikely you get into Cornell but don't get into Northwestern, so if you don't get into Chicago, go there (they care about work experience, but still something like a quarter of their class don't have any). If you want to be in Chicago, there's very little reason to leave.

Orion311

Bronze
Posts: 118
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:11 pm

Re: What school should I shoot for if I wanted to work in Chicago?

Postby Orion311 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:31 pm

grades?? wrote:
ForumCommissar wrote:
grades?? wrote:Thats a big assumption. I hope you get there but remember, less than half of 1 percent of test takers get a 175. It is by no means guaranteed that you get even near 175. Until you have an lsat score that will get you into a t14 (which you currently don't), then this shouldn't be a worry. Just worry about the lsat and crush it.

Don't worry lol, if I can't get a good LSAT this question doesn't even matter because I won't be going to law school. I was just wondering while I had time to spare.

EDIT: To further add, I also have plans if I get a 170 or so, 175 is on the optimistic side.


Listen I appreciate your optimism. As a 175+ scorer, I know the legit work it takes to get there. Less wondering while I had time to spare, more studying the lsat. For example, I took every single lsat that had been released at the time (like 1-74 or so) 3 times. In full testing conditions. It took me a full year. To get the 170+ mark, it takes a long time and a lot of studying.


Anecdotes aren't necessarily that helpful. I can provide my own story which is the complete opposite. My diagnostic was barely higher than OPs (162) and then I browsed the games bible and took a PT roughly every 2 days for the next 5 weeks and was in the high 170s (176-180 for my last several PTs). Ended up with a 175 on the real thing.

OP, you'll have a better idea of what's realistic after you read a guide/bible or two and then reassess. I don't think it's unreasonable to be considering options that are well within the realm of possibility (options that involve a score in the 170s, assuming your score jumps notably after you're not literally look at the test cold).

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver
Posts: 1355
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:43 pm

Re: What school should I shoot for if I wanted to work in Chicago?

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:39 pm

Yes, assuming you're above median at Cornell or similar school. Just invent a good "Why Chicago" and, given your ties, you'll get a jerb.

User avatar
Joscellin

Gold
Posts: 1514
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:40 am

Re: What school should I shoot for if I wanted to work in Chicago?

Postby Joscellin » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:08 am

You've got the ties, so now it's just school. If you're Chicago or bust, I'd say Chi > HYS > NU > C+N. If you actually hit a 175, you're golden, but don't underestimate the work to get there.

User avatar
PrezRand

Gold
Posts: 1608
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:31 pm

Re: What school should I shoot for if I wanted to work in Chicago?

Postby PrezRand » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:27 pm

You can check the T14 schools that place more students in Chicago on lstscorereports.com

User avatar
ForumCommissar

New
Posts: 88
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:40 am

Re: What school should I shoot for if I wanted to work in Chicago?

Postby ForumCommissar » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:41 pm

Thank you all for your help and support. It's definitely be good and useful for me to consider in the future where I should go, at the University of Chicago is what I should be gunning for.

User avatar
KMart

Gold
Posts: 4368
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:25 am

Re: What school should I shoot for if I wanted to work in Chicago?

Postby KMart » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:50 am

Joscellin wrote:You've got the ties, so now it's just school. If you're Chicago or bust, I'd say Chi > HYS > NU > C+N. If you actually hit a 175, you're golden, but don't underestimate the work to get there.

TCR

User avatar
star fox

Diamond
Posts: 20786
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:13 pm

Re: What school should I shoot for if I wanted to work in Chicago?

Postby star fox » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:51 am

jbagelboy wrote:I would target UChicago with a sizable scholarship as your top choice. The chicago market can be tough even coming from Northwestern, and certainly from other lower T14 schools.

GPA's not good enough for that. Get a 170 and go to NU for a full ride.

Get your GPA to a 3.8 though.

Veil of Ignorance

Bronze
Posts: 296
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:22 pm

Re: What school should I shoot for if I wanted to work in Chicago?

Postby Veil of Ignorance » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:25 am

star fox wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:I would target UChicago with a sizable scholarship as your top choice. The chicago market can be tough even coming from Northwestern, and certainly from other lower T14 schools.

GPA's not good enough for that. Get a 170 and go to NU for a full ride.

Get your GPA to a 3.8 though.


Why do you say GPA isn't good enough? What GPA would be good enough in your opinion?

User avatar
star fox

Diamond
Posts: 20786
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:13 pm

Re: What school should I shoot for if I wanted to work in Chicago?

Postby star fox » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:09 pm

scottyboy wrote:
star fox wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:I would target UChicago with a sizable scholarship as your top choice. The chicago market can be tough even coming from Northwestern, and certainly from other lower T14 schools.

GPA's not good enough for that. Get a 170 and go to NU for a full ride.

Get your GPA to a 3.8 though.


Why do you say GPA isn't good enough? What GPA would be good enough in your opinion?

Look at UChicago's median admission GPA. You're not gonna a sizable scholarship if you're below that median.

User avatar
jbagelboy

Diamond
Posts: 10245
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: What school should I shoot for if I wanted to work in Chicago?

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:16 pm

star fox wrote:
scottyboy wrote:
star fox wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:I would target UChicago with a sizable scholarship as your top choice. The chicago market can be tough even coming from Northwestern, and certainly from other lower T14 schools.

GPA's not good enough for that. Get a 170 and go to NU for a full ride.

Get your GPA to a 3.8 though.


Why do you say GPA isn't good enough? What GPA would be good enough in your opinion?

Look at UChicago's median admission GPA. You're not gonna a sizable scholarship if you're below that median.


Depends on what you mean by sizable, and to a lesser extent whether you qualify for anything need based. Chicago can be quite generous--and I mean up to 1/2--at the 3.8/172+ mark, which is still below their absurd median gpa.

User avatar
blerggggg

New
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:42 pm

Re: What school should I shoot for if I wanted to work in Chicago?

Postby blerggggg » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:22 pm

I'm curious why nobody is really recommending UMich in this thread. I know UMich's law placement is less than stellar across the country these days, but so much so that it can barely break Chicago? Even Northwestern has a better chance of the Chicago market now? Wow.

User avatar
existentialcrisis

Bronze
Posts: 493
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:23 pm

Re: What school should I shoot for if I wanted to work in Chicago?

Postby existentialcrisis » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:33 pm

blerggggg wrote:I'm curious why nobody is really recommending UMich in this thread. I know UMich's law placement is less than stellar across the country these days, but so much so that it can barely break Chicago? Even Northwestern has a better chance of the Chicago market now? Wow.


Well, NU is a T14 in Chicago. Has Michigan ever outplayed NU there?

User avatar
LeDique

Diamond
Posts: 13464
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:10 pm

Re: What school should I shoot for if I wanted to work in Chicago?

Postby LeDique » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:34 pm

idk, new trier?

Bach-City

Bronze
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:00 pm

Re: What school should I shoot for if I wanted to work in Chicago?

Postby Bach-City » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:44 pm

.
Last edited by Bach-City on Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
btruj777

Bronze
Posts: 332
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:31 am

Re: What school should I shoot for if I wanted to work in Chicago?

Postby btruj777 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:51 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
star fox wrote:
scottyboy wrote:
star fox wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:I would target UChicago with a sizable scholarship as your top choice. The chicago market can be tough even coming from Northwestern, and certainly from other lower T14 schools.

GPA's not good enough for that. Get a 170 and go to NU for a full ride.

Get your GPA to a 3.8 though.


Why do you say GPA isn't good enough? What GPA would be good enough in your opinion?

Look at UChicago's median admission GPA. You're not gonna a sizable scholarship if you're below that median.


Depends on what you mean by sizable, and to a lesser extent whether you qualify for anything need based. Chicago can be quite generous--and I mean up to 1/2--at the 3.8/172+ mark, which is still below their absurd median gpa.



OP: UChicago will be the best bet, if you hit those numbers you will be solid.

Now a side note, I always wanted to ask why it is the case the UChi has the highest median GPA. I know "why" but I do not know what their purpose is. Is it perhaps, a different admissions philosophy? Or perhaps a desire to be set apart? And is that media GPA really that absurd?

User avatar
guynourmin

Gold
Posts: 3428
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:42 pm

Re: What school should I shoot for if I wanted to work in Chicago?

Postby guynourmin » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:34 pm

LeDique wrote:idk, new trier?


dropped to #22 in the usnwr rankings (whoa!). Hopefully OP has the grades to transfer to Stevenson...



Return to “Choosing a Law School�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests