Top Schools for working in PA or Atlanta Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bmathers

Silver

Top Schools for working in PA or Atlanta

Post by bmathers » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:46 am

Outside of the T30, what 10 schools would stand the best chance of landing you in eastern/central PA or Atlanta? Currently at 3.3 (GPA addendum) and a 158, but retook in September.

What I am thinking:

PA: Villanova, Temple, PSU (both), Drexel, Rutgers (both), Seton Hall. - probably go to the cheaper of Temple/Villanova

Atlanta: Georgia State, Wake, big reach at Emory - realistically, probably only looking at GSU

Does anyone have any other schools to consider? Thanks

joeyc328

Bronze

Re: Top Schools for working in PA or Atlanta

Post by joeyc328 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:56 am

Penn and Emory are your only 2 options. Do not go to law school until your LSAT is high enough to get into 1 of those 2 schools.

bmathers

Silver

Post by bmathers » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:59 am

joeyc328 wrote:Penn and Emory are your only 2 options. Do not go to law school until your LSAT is high enough to get into 1 of those 2 schools.
I respectfully disagree. I have 0 big law aspirations, but thank you

joeyc328

Bronze

Post by joeyc328 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:01 am

bmathers wrote:
joeyc328 wrote:Penn and Emory are your only 2 options. Do not go to law school until your LSAT is high enough to get into 1 of those 2 schools.
Your call if you want to risk getting a job with 200k in debt on a coin flip.

bmathers

Silver

Post by bmathers » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:02 am

joeyc328 wrote:
bmathers wrote:
I'm not going anywhere for more than $50k debt

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bmathers

Silver

Post by bmathers » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:05 am

I can chip in at least $15-20k/year for COL, and Nova ships are plentiful. Temple is 23k sticker, we'll see about ships

ronanOgara

Gold

Post by ronanOgara » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:18 am

joeyc328 wrote:
bmathers wrote:
Lol at this clown.

It really depends at what you want to do OP. I'd try to go to Nova, Temple, Drexel, PSU for free. It's not that hard to get a full ride at any of those schools. Penn is obviously TCR but if you don't want to do big law, don't want to work out of state, and don't have a lot of UG debt--going to Penn is unnecessary. There's obviously the risk that you end up without a job at graduation but you can do well from all of those schools.

bmathers

Silver

Post by bmathers » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:28 am

ronanOgara wrote:
joeyc328 wrote:
bmathers wrote:
Lol at this clown.

It really depends at what you want to do OP. I'd try to go to Nova, Temple, Drexel, PSU for free. It's not that hard to get a full ride at any of those schools. Penn is obviously TCR but if you don't want to do big law, don't want to work out of state, and don't have a lot of UG debt--going to Penn is unnecessary. There's obviously the risk that you end up without a job at graduation but you can do well from all of those schools.
Thank you - I'm currently debt-free, so I have room for some LS debt. I'm a little weary about PSU Law, just based on how new it is (no alumni base), and the horrible location for internships.

Would you put Drexel on the same page as Nova? Would you say Drexel for free is better than Nova for 5-10k/yr?

Also, I am not opposed to moving OOS. I am from PA, have lots of immediate family in ATL, and currently live in New England, so I would be happy living anywhere south of New England on the east coast.

AtlantaDawg

New

Post by AtlantaDawg » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:36 am

bmathers wrote:
ronanOgara wrote:
joeyc328 wrote:
bmathers wrote:
Lol at this clown.

Thank you - I'm currently debt-free, so I have room for some LS debt. I'm a little weary about PSU Law, just based on how new it is (no alumni base), and the horrible location for internships.

Would you put Drexel on the same page as Nova? Would you say Drexel for free is better than Nova for 5-10k/yr?

Also, I am not opposed to moving OOS. I am from PA, have lots of immediate family in ATL, and currently live in New England, so I would be happy living anywhere south of New England on the east coast.

UGA
Last edited by AtlantaDawg on Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ronanOgara

Gold

Post by ronanOgara » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:41 am

bmathers wrote:
ronanOgara wrote:
joeyc328 wrote:
bmathers wrote:
Lol at this clown.

Yeah I wouldn't go to the UP campus. If I were to go to PSU I'd go to Dickinson in Carlisle.

Villanova overall is better than Drexel--it has the name recognition and a much larger alumni base. With that being said, I chose Drexel over nova and all of the other PA schools and I'm quite happy with my decision. It was free, I was able to do a co-op for a whole year and rack up some pretty good experience. I think Drexel hits above its weight in the criminal law realm--but if you weren't too sure on what you wanted to do, I'd probably lean Nova.

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:15 am

Do you have a cite for:
bmathers wrote:A 160 and a 3.4 should get you a full ride at Villanova (based on past performance... they gave out 132 full rides last year) - something to consider
?

bmathers

Silver

Post by bmathers » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:21 am

pancakes3 wrote:Do you have a cite for:
bmathers wrote:A 160 and a 3.4 should get you a full ride at Villanova (based on past performance... they gave out 132 full rides last year) - something to consider
?
It's on their 2015 aba disclosure. Abarequireddisclosures.org

bmathers

Silver

Post by bmathers » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:24 am

ronanOgara wrote:
bmathers wrote:
ronanOgara wrote:
joeyc328 wrote:
bmathers wrote:
Lol at this clown.

Yeah I wouldn't go to the UP campus. If I were to go to PSU I'd go to Dickinson in Carlisle.

Villanova overall is better than Drexel--it has the name recognition and a much larger alumni base. With that being said, I chose Drexel over nova and all of the other PA schools and I'm quite happy with my decision. It was free, I was able to do a co-op for a whole year and rack up some pretty good experience. I think Drexel hits above its weight in the criminal law realm--but if you weren't too sure on what you wanted to do, I'd probably lean Nova.
Doesn't Drexel do the conditional scholarship game? How lenient are their stips?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ronanOgara

Gold

Post by ronanOgara » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:07 am

Yes most of their offers do. Most schools have the stips--I believe Temple and Nova had stips as well. But many students successfully negotiate the stips off of their scholarship. It's a really simple process.

gregfootball2001

Silver

Post by gregfootball2001 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:16 am

AtlantaDawg wrote:If you want to work in ATL, UGA can't be beat.

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:22 am

bmathers wrote:
?
"They gave out 132 full rides last year" is disingenuously phrased.

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:31 am

pancakes3 wrote:
bmathers wrote:
?
"They gave out 132 full rides last year" is disingenuously phrased.
It's not disingenuously phrased, its just wrong. Last year there were 132 students will full rides (and 5 with more than), but that is all three classes - so those were given out over 3 years. In fact, its likely they gave out more than 132 full rides last year, but plenty of those offers were not accepted (I say likely because I think it is). We have no idea how many full rides they offered last year; that is not information the ABA asks for (scholarship offers extended but not accepted).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:39 am

I think you're probably right about the PA options - Nova and Temple seem your best bet outside of the t14 without any monetary considerations, and with they'd probably be close to the cheapest anyway. Not sure how far their reach extends into central PA, though. I can't imagine a reason to risk Penn State over either (hypo: certainly not worth it just to save $20-30k). No way is Seton Hall going to be cheaper than either or have stronger placement in PA. I'm not even sure what kind of scholarship negotiation leverage the other schools would have honestly (Dear Temple, SH offered me 20k less than you did and costs 20k more, I really want to stay in PA and you're a better school - can you increase my offer?)

bmathers

Silver

Post by bmathers » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:51 am

guybourdin wrote:I think you're probably right about the PA options - Nova and Temple seem your best bet outside of the t14 without any monetary considerations, and with they'd probably be close to the cheapest anyway. Not sure how far their reach extends into central PA, though. I can't imagine a reason to risk Penn State over either (hypo: certainly not worth it just to save $20-30k). No way is Seton Hall going to be cheaper than either or have stronger placement in PA. I'm not even sure what kind of scholarship negotiation leverage the other schools would have honestly (Dear Temple, SH offered me 20k less than you did and costs 20k more, I really want to stay in PA and you're a better school - can you increase my offer?)
I was offered about 80% by Nova last cycle, so hopefully my better polished app early this cycle can get me atleast that.

The only reason I have SH on there is bc their LST report employment % is remarkably high for their numbers. (around 78% for a 156 median LSAT LS).

As for their reach into central PA... you are only competing with PSU/Dickinson and Widener (PA). I can't imagine that Nova/Temple doesn't extend their reach into that area.
Last edited by bmathers on Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LandMermaid

Bronze

Post by LandMermaid » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:41 pm

UGA should be over GA state for atlanta

bmathers

Silver

Post by bmathers » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:25 pm

LandMermaid wrote:UGA should be over GA state for atlanta
Agreed - and if I am including Emory I guess I should have included UGA. However, with my current LSAT of 158 that is out of reach. I haven't PT'd below 160 since around Feb/March, but my gut feeling is that my September retake actually went down. It was my 3rd and final take (I wasted my first take on little prep, less than a month of studying around FT work, but I wanted to go to LS Fall 16). I've put it off one cycle for my LSAT and this year is dragging on - sitting out another 2 cycles to retake a 4th time is out of the question (side note: I am 29, not a recent grad).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:32 pm

So I know you don't want to do biglaw...but what do you want to do?

LandMermaid

Bronze

Post by LandMermaid » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:39 pm

bmathers wrote:
Agreed - and if I am including Emory I guess I should have included UGA. However, with my current LSAT of 158 that is out of reach. I haven't PT'd below 160 since around Feb/March, but my gut feeling is that my September retake actually went down. It was my 3rd and final take (I wasted my first take on little prep, less than a month of studying around FT work, but I wanted to go to LS Fall 16). I've put it off one cycle for my LSAT and this year is dragging on - sitting out another 2 cycles to retake a 4th time is out of the question (side note: I am 29, not a recent grad).
Gotcha. I still definitely think you should include it and just see how it goes, especially if you're gonna shoot an app at Emory!

Nachoo2019

Silver

Post by Nachoo2019 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:40 pm

If you are public service oriented and want a full ride there will be no better place than Dickinson. They give out full rides like it's candy(I got one with a 3.2/158), they do a damn good job with public service, and the alumni network is extremely involved in helping us out.

bmathers

Silver

Post by bmathers » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:44 pm

LandMermaid wrote:
bmathers wrote:
Gotcha. I still definitely think you should include it and just see how it goes, especially if you're gonna shoot an app at Emory!
Good point. I was WL'd at Emory last cycle with a much less polished app (and possibly score... also very late). I have a sibling who is in fellowship at their hospital, so it is more of a pipe-dream, hoping that that helps me out and then I could also just live with my sibling.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”