ASU Law?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
spqr351

New

ASU Law?

Postby spqr351 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:18 pm

Last edited by spqr351 on Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: ASU Law?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:25 pm

Regional school very similar to Iowa. I would not any of the schools you ID as super-regional as really super-regional (I'd reserve that for Vandy/UT maybe). ASU will get you Arizona, maybe Southern California or other western/southwestern states if you have ties or hustle hard for it from the start of school. It games the rankings (as do all schools really, ASU was just able to do it a bit more successfully recently).

spqr351

New

Postby spqr351 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:40 pm

Last edited by spqr351 on Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:17 pm

Go to lawschooltransparency.com and look at where grads from each of those schools end up working. I think Iowa is going to be overwhelmingly Iowa, ASU overwhelmingly Arizona. I'm sure some ASU grads work in the other states you mention, but the vast majority won't. It's not that it's impossible to get a job other than in the state where a regional school is located, but you're making things more difficult for yourself.

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:59 pm

Please don't go to ASU just because it's ranked somewhere. It's way too hot there.

RamTitan

Silver

Postby RamTitan » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:49 pm

Lol, Iowa is definitely not a super regional

I'd say the closest thing that counts to super regional is Texas and Vanderbilt, maybe Washu (but a lot of their kids don't even stay in the Midwest); really, the term does not apply

Edit - Iowa is still a good school thought, wasn't trying to be disparaging

TEM

New

Postby TEM » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:49 pm

2L at ASU. From what I've seen, most students stay here. ASU places really well in Phoenix (obviously) and frankly a lot of people who come here planning to leave really like it and stay. My gf from northern California has fallen in love with Phoenix. Also, CoL is dirt cheap. Making ~130-140k as a first year goes a longgg way in Phoenix - especially if you're able to get a decent scholly at ASU and keep debt low. However, if you want to leave, California is probably your next best market (SoCal more than SF), followed by maybe Denver (there were a few Denver firms at OCI). Simply my anecdotal evidence. Either way, feel free to PM if you have any questions!

TEM

New

Postby TEM » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:50 pm

zot1 wrote:Please don't go to ASU just because it's ranked somewhere. It's way too hot there.

It's a dry heat :lol:

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:24 pm

TEM wrote:
zot1 wrote:Please don't go to ASU just because it's ranked somewhere. It's way too hot there.

THAT DON'T MAKE A DIFFERENCE!!!

KissMyAxe

Bronze

Postby KissMyAxe » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:08 pm

zot1 wrote:
TEM wrote:

To be fair, while it's still hot as hell, a dry heat definitely is definitely better than 80+ humidity. In a dry heat, you can sweat and the evaporation cools you. In 100+ degree weather with a super high humidity, the sweat instead stays on your skin, where it proceeds to boil and burn you alive.

FutureSuperLawyer

New

Postby FutureSuperLawyer » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:12 pm

TEM wrote:2L at ASU. From what I've seen, most students stay here. ASU places really well in Phoenix (obviously) and frankly a lot of people who come here planning to leave really like it and stay. My gf from northern California has fallen in love with Phoenix. Also, CoL is dirt cheap. Making ~130-140k as a first year goes a longgg way in Phoenix - especially if you're able to get a decent scholly at ASU and keep debt low. However, if you want to leave, California is probably your next best market (SoCal more than SF), followed by maybe Denver (there were a few Denver firms at OCI). Simply my anecdotal evidence. Either way, feel free to PM if you have any questions!

ASU's own disclosures indicate the odds of making 130-140k are very low. Only 29 students got jobs at firms bigger than 50 lawyers and only 4 got fed clerkships, out of 229. Its much more likely you'll end up making 30k to 60k (64 at firms less than 25 lawyers and 40 in government, 15 state and local clerkships).

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:40 pm

KissMyAxe wrote:
zot1 wrote:
TEM wrote:

To be fair, while it's still hot as hell, a dry heat definitely is definitely better than 80+ humidity. In a dry heat, you can sweat and the evaporation cools you. In 100+ degree weather with a super high humidity, the sweat instead stays on your skin, where it proceeds to boil and burn you alive.

Yes, I understand this. But it's almost like asking do you prefer to die burned or cut. I've lived in the south and I've spent more time in Phoenix than anyone should. Summers in AZ are brutal. Unless you're inside with air conditioning, you just want to die. 115 I think is the average.

TEM

New

Postby TEM » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:51 am

FutureSuperLawyer wrote:
TEM wrote:2L at ASU. From what I've seen, most students stay here. ASU places really well in Phoenix (obviously) and frankly a lot of people who come here planning to leave really like it and stay. My gf from northern California has fallen in love with Phoenix. Also, CoL is dirt cheap. Making ~130-140k as a first year goes a longgg way in Phoenix - especially if you're able to get a decent scholly at ASU and keep debt low. However, if you want to leave, California is probably your next best market (SoCal more than SF), followed by maybe Denver (there were a few Denver firms at OCI). Simply my anecdotal evidence. Either way, feel free to PM if you have any questions!

ASU's own disclosures indicate the odds of making 130-140k are very low. Only 29 students got jobs at firms bigger than 50 lawyers and only 4 got fed clerkships, out of 229. Its much more likely you'll end up making 30k to 60k (64 at firms less than 25 lawyers and 40 in government, 15 state and local clerkships).

The numbers are what they are, however Phoenix is a unique market. More than half the firms at OCI were firms with 20-50 attorneys, and the majority of them pay market (~120k; there's been a move since the cravath hike of firms increasing rates up to ~130-140k). While I was fortunate to get a "big law" SA with a larger national firm, the classic big firm dynamic is different in Phoenix. Lots of small and midsize firms that pay market starting rates - so the numbers on the disclosure may be a little unrepresentative of how much you can make.

Now, of course there is no denying you need to be successful in your classes to get a job paying those rates. No denying that at all. I had no interest in clerkships so I can't comment on that. The numbers are what they are so I encourage you to look at law school transparency and other independent sources. Just my own input. Good luck wherever you decide to go; like I said feel free to reach out if you have any questions about ASU.

TEM

New

Postby TEM » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:53 am

zot1 wrote:
KissMyAxe wrote:
zot1 wrote:
TEM wrote:

Yes, I understand this. But it's almost like asking do you prefer to die burned or cut. I've lived in the south and I've spent more time in Phoenix than anyone should. Summers in AZ are brutal. Unless you're inside with air conditioning, you just want to die. 115 I think is the average.

Hahaha the "die burned or cut" line was great. Personally I think the dry heat isn't horrible. Yes, it's obviously hot, but I went to a wedding in Connecticut last summer and it was 80s with humidity and I felt like I was dying. Maybe I'm just not used to the humidity! I'd encourage anyone to come visit Phoenix and experience the heat before they did anything, either way.

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:53 pm

TEM wrote:
zot1 wrote:
KissMyAxe wrote:
zot1 wrote:
TEM wrote:

Hahaha the "die burned or cut" line was great. Personally I think the dry heat isn't horrible. Yes, it's obviously hot, but I went to a wedding in Connecticut last summer and it was 80s with humidity and I felt like I was dying. Maybe I'm just not used to the humidity! I'd encourage anyone to come visit Phoenix and experience the heat before they did anything, either way.

I mean, yeah, everyone should try everything once. Almost everything.

Return to “Choosing a Law School�