USC/UCLA for Midwesterner? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
RamTitan

Silver

USC/UCLA for Midwesterner?

Post by RamTitan » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:51 pm

Hey everyone, I'm hoping to get some feedback on whether I should apply to USC and/or UCLA.

I'm from a pretty big city in the Midwest (not Chicago), but am not sure where I want to practice after school. I like the idea of living in New York, but really my main goal is to end up somewhere with an excellent public transportation system (yes, I'm aware LA is the exact opposite of this haha). I'm also not 100% clear on what kind of law I'd like to practice, though I do know I want to be a litigator. I'm also considering pursuing JAG or a judicial clerkship. And, I'm open to doing big law/work for a corporation.

I like California a lot, but I'm not sure I'd want to live there. I feel like there is a slim chance of me going to either of these schools, but they gave me fee waivers, and both actually used to be at the top of my list when I thought I wanted to be a talent agent (please don't make fun of me for my noobish ways haha).

poptart123

Silver

Re: USC/UCLA for Midwesterner?

Post by poptart123 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:56 pm

If you have the fee waivers and the $60, then go ahead, unless you wanna take your significant other out to dinner. If nothing else, perhaps you can use the scholarships as negotiation chips with other similarly ranked schools.

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:59 pm

poptart123 wrote:If you have the fee waivers and the $60, then go ahead, unless you wanna take your significant other out to dinner. If nothing else, perhaps you can use the scholarships as negotiation chips with other similarly ranked schools.
I think I will. But is there any point in me going to either of these institutions if I don't want to practice in Cali? I guess I'd be open to living there, but their traffic and high taxes frighten me :shock:

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:00 pm

RamTitan wrote:
poptart123 wrote:If you have the fee waivers and the $60, then go ahead, unless you wanna take your significant other out to dinner. If nothing else, perhaps you can use the scholarships as negotiation chips with other similarly ranked schools.
I think I will. But is there any point in me going to either of these institutions if I don't want to practice in Cali? I guess I'd be open to living there, but their traffic and high taxes frighten me :shock:
No, probably not if you don't want Cali or maybe Arizona(?) (so I've heard from some, but think you might need ties). Don't quote me on that, but feel free to quote this post.

USayinBoalt

Gold

Post by USayinBoalt » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:33 pm

If you don't want to work in socal then I see no point in applying (outside of fee waiver/scholly bargaining chip). They are primarily regional schools based on what I've seen/read

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:35 pm

I'm changing my tune now that I've learned more about their Rothman scholarship. Definitely going to apply and see what happens

USayinBoalt

Gold

Post by USayinBoalt » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:46 pm

Definitely apply if you are nominated for the Rothman. Benefits outweigh the costs, even though the app is free before Feb. 1

SemiReverseSplinter

New

Post by SemiReverseSplinter » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:10 am

LA does not have bad public transportation, and it's only getting better. Constant expansion of the rail.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:22 am

SemiReverseSplinter wrote:LA does not have bad public transportation, and it's only getting better. Constant expansion of the rail.
Speaking as someone who's lived in LA within the last five years: have you never lived in a city with an actual transit network?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SlippinJimmy

New

Post by SlippinJimmy » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:37 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
SemiReverseSplinter wrote:LA does not have bad public transportation, and it's only getting better. Constant expansion of the rail.
Speaking as someone who's lived in LA within the last five years: have you never lived in a city with an actual transit network?
I split time between LA and SF my entire life. LA's public transportation is fine if you live and work near a Metro line. You still need a car to do anything else though.

GeneralLawyer

New

Post by GeneralLawyer » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:23 pm

Going to a strong regional like USC/UCLA and not being from the region makes the risk (which is already substantial) larger. One option is to go to a t14, which would give you a shot at a market like cali, but without ties it will still be an outside shot (obviously would vary by school, but without ties it will not be easy). However, your ability to land any ole biglaw job will be greatly increased.

I guess if I were you I'd try to get a job in LA for a year so you can better sell yourself in cali and retake the LSAT. Worst case scenario if you do that is you end up at USC/UCLA a year later and at least have somewhat stronger ties. Best case you go to a t14 school with $$ and have a plausible story of why cali.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:19 pm

SlippinJimmy wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
I split time between LA and SF my entire life. LA's public transportation is fine if you live and work near a Metro line. You still need a car to do anything else though.
That's kind of like saying that BART is the most efficient train system in the world for people who live near stops. The availability of mass transit is a large part of determining how good a city's system is.

All this is just to say that if the OP wants to go to LA, they should plan on getting a car. The idea that you can get anywhere you need to via the metro is a fantasy.

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:51 pm

I'll definitely apply for the Rothman and see where the chips fall.

SlippinJimmy

New

Post by SlippinJimmy » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:32 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
SlippinJimmy wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
That's kind of like saying that BART is the most efficient train system in the world for people who live near stops. The availability of mass transit is a large part of determining how good a city's system is.

All this is just to say that if the OP wants to go to LA, they should plan on getting a car. The idea that you can get anywhere you need to via the metro is a fantasy.
Nobody said that LA has an excellent public transportation system- just that it can be adequate and it's improving. There are enough pockets of the city that are affordable to an attorney and conducive to a public transit dominant lifestyle.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”