Where could I (realistically) expect a large scholarship/full ride?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
hardboiledegg

New

Where could I (realistically) expect a large scholarship/full ride?

Postby hardboiledegg » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:32 pm

I realize that I am coming to you guys with a tall order! I've been googling around for a while but I figured I would ask here since maybe some of you have direct experience.

I finished my B.A. earlier this year at a pretty obscure, small school with a 4.0 in jurisprudence. I've known for quite some time that I've wanted to go to law school and thanks to my own career, all systems point to "go" in that it's a logical next step for me. I come from a non-traditional background in that I am 30, own my own consulting firm in a niche industry and am really used to putting in long hours and dealing with clients from all walks of life who come to me at the 11th hour and need me to sacrifice everything for weeks at a time. I love coming through for them and so the actual career of "lawyering" appeals very much to me. My goal would be BigLaw and then in-house. I am a woman, and not an URM.

I've been studying regularly for the LSAT for the past month, and have been scoring anywhere from 171 to 176 on diagnostics. I did not start taking practice exams until I was comfortable enough with the material. I self-study but am really okay with taking a course if it will help bump up my chances at a better score. Schools I am looking at include Cornell, Penn, Chicago, NYU and Columbia with NYU being my absolute dream school. I am a native New Yorker and want to keep living here during law school if at all possible. I'm checking on LSN but a lot of users with similar stats are only posting scholarship info for schools I probably wouldn't end up attending in other parts of the U.S.

What shot do I have at a school like the ones I mentioned for a large-ish scholarship? I am very loan averse and realize that if law school is a huge investment for me, I might as well continue on in my career path (even though it would really, really, really be a hard pill to swallow for me not to go to law school because I love law for the law's sake and have a burning desire to be an attorney). If I were to stay in NY, I'd ideally like to walk away with less than 100k in loans.

Is my goal too lofty? Please give me the smackdown!

BigZuck

Diamond

Re: Where could I (realistically) expect a large scholarship/full ride?

Postby BigZuck » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:34 pm

KMart

Gold

Postby KMart » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:54 am

Please come back when you have an official LSAT score; PTs are not the same thing.

lavarman84

Platinum

Postby lavarman84 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:19 am

As others have pointed out, you need a LSAT score and mylsn is a great resource on how you should do based on that score. Your non-traditional background and business experience should help you with admissions, especially if you put together a strong application. Without a LSAT score, there's not much guidance we can give you. If you score in the 174 to 176 range, you'll likely see a great scholarship offer from NYU or Columbia (or both). If you score in the 170 to 172 range, you'll still see scholarship offers, but there's no telling exactly how strong they'll be. Basically, keep working and crush the LSAT.

haus

Gold

Postby haus » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:10 am

Since you have not yet taken the LSAT you should check out Indiana Tech and their LSAT reimbursement offer.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=195434&start=1400

Sure the school is likely a train wreck, but it would almost be rude not to take their money if they are trying to give it to you.

zeglo

Silver

Postby zeglo » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:37 pm

Last edited by zeglo on Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pancakes3

Platinum

Postby pancakes3 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:58 pm

as a non-trad, is the 4.0 your LSAC score (culmination of all your attempted collegiate credits/grades, not just what it says at your degree-granting institution)?

hardboiledegg

New

Postby hardboiledegg » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:06 pm

Yes, it is. I went to college later in life and only studied at one institution.

bmathers

Silver

Postby bmathers » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:42 pm

hardboiledegg wrote:Yes, it is. I went to college later in life and only studied at one institution.

Only studying at one institution doesn't really matter. Your lsdas GPA can still very quite a bit from your University GPA.

Silver

Postby AvatarMeelo » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:05 am

If you want to stay in NY, have you looked at regional schools like Brooklyn or Cardozo?

pancakes3

Platinum

Postby pancakes3 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:52 am

If you can score where you PT (ideally 172+), then a 4.0/172+ will probably net you substantial scholarships from NYU. Cornell and Penn are probable full-rides.

You're in good shape.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:08 pm

clueless801 wrote:If you want to stay in NY, have you looked at regional schools like Brooklyn or Cardozo?

Return to “Choosing a Law School�