Wanting to practice in Colorado, which would be better, CU-Boulder or WUSTL?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
WiltyMIZ

New

Wanting to practice in Colorado, which would be better, CU-Boulder or WUSTL?

Postby WiltyMIZ » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:50 pm

Hi y'all. Fairly straightforward question here, but after looking at employment outlooks as well as personal desires regarding location after graduation I have concluded that I would love to practice in Colorado, specifically the Denver-metro area.

Given this, I was wondering which school would yield better employment prospects if this is my desired place to land. I understand WUSTL is a great school but it seems that its' influence outside of the midwest diminishes the further away you get. On the other hand, CU-Boulder falls down the ranking list quite a bit, but of course would make sense to attend if I wish to practice within the state. How deep of a divide do these two institutions have within the state? Granted I grew up in STL so living there isn't a terrible option. However, after looking at job prospects/opportunities, I still would highly prefer to live in CO nonetheless.

Further, I am (theoretically, as my first official LSAT take is this December) a splitter with grades that likely wouldn't really allow me many options any higher up the rankings than WUSTL, unless I hit like 176+ on my LSAT which I obviously cannot bank on.

Let me know what you guys think about this one!

cavalier1138

Gold

Re: Wanting to practice in Colorado, which would be better, CU-Boulder or WUSTL?

Postby cavalier1138 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:06 pm

What would you like to practice in Colorado?

RareExports

Silver

Re: Wanting to practice in Colorado, which would be better, CU-Boulder or WUSTL?

Postby RareExports » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:21 am

Colorado gives you a better shot at practicing law in Colorado. Especially if you have never lived in Colorado before/have no ties to Colorado, it may be tough to get a Colorado legal job from WUSTL.

landshoes

Silver

Postby landshoes » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:40 am

take the LSAT and then think about this stuff

bmathers

Silver

Postby bmathers » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:39 pm

CU: http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/ ... tion/2015/

WUSTL: http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/ ... tion/2015/

What do you think?

It seems like WUSTL typically places about 3% of it's graduating class in the mountain time area (who knows how many try for it), whereas the majority of CU's grads are specifically in Colorado. CU seems to be, by far, your better bet -- but that's completely just based off the numbers, I know nothing about the market in that area. (For all I know, 3% of WUSTL's graduating class could try for placement in that area, with 100% placement... whereas CU certainly doesn't have 100% placement. I highly doubt that is the case, but just one way that purely basing on numbers can skew things a bit).

Return to “Choosing a Law School�