Fordham ($$$) v Cardozo (full)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Law2019

New

Fordham ($$$) v Cardozo (full)

Postby Law2019 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:11 pm

I rejected an offer of 30k a year back in May from Fordham and committed to Cardozo on a full ride. Today I got an email saying that Fordham bumped up my offer to 40k a year. I am interested in IP law. Fordham seems like a no brainer, but any thoughts?

kingpin101

Bronze

Re: Fordham ($$$) v Cardozo (full)

Postby kingpin101 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:13 pm

Yes, go to Fordham.

Redfactor

Bronze

Postby Redfactor » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:03 am

I would do Fordham, but either way I congratulate you on making a fiscally prudent choice.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:46 am

What is your total COA for Fordham and Dozo? Will you be living at home, paying rent, living in on campus housing?

Law2019

New

Postby Law2019 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:38 pm

TheMikey wrote:What is your total COA for Fordham and Dozo? Will you be living at home, paying rent, living in on campus housing?

I will not be paying for housing either way. Tuition is all I have to worry about (and the insane NYC prices for drinks)

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:00 pm

Law2019 wrote:
TheMikey wrote:What is your total COA for Fordham and Dozo? Will you be living at home, paying rent, living in on campus housing?

I will not be paying for housing either way. Tuition is all I have to worry about (and the insane NYC prices for drinks)

Lol it's definitely pricey here for drinks. I'd probably go with Fordham in your situation, but what are your stats looking like?

Law2019

New

Postby Law2019 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:54 pm

TheMikey wrote:
Law2019 wrote:

Lol it's definitely pricey here for drinks. I'd probably go with Fordham in your situation, but what are your stats looking like?

3.56, 166. I didn't retake because I know my GPA screws me for the elite schools- way too much partying during undergrad.I could hit a 170 (maybe 172) if I work at it (I went to a top 5 undergrad and I did not get in because of daddy's connections/donations), but the GPA is what it is. I'm not going to work for months to get a higher LSAT and end up at the same schools anyway (I'm not going to be the person who goes to Vandy/WUSTL or bottom t14 at sticker price)

Clemenceau

Silver

Postby Clemenceau » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:43 pm

You can get a bunch of money from a t14 with a 3.56/17x

Fordham isn't a bad option at that price + no rent spend, but just know that biglaw is quite far from a sure thing there.

Ferrisjso

Gold

Postby Ferrisjso » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:30 pm

I'm a 0L from NYC looking at these schools as well(among others) who also would just be paying tuition if I chose to stay home. From looking at the employment stats on LST that the people on here directed me to use, their isn't much difference between Cardozo and Fordham in terms of employment at face value(the same goes for Brooklyn). From my vantage point, the main difference between Fordham and Cardozo/Brooklyn is big law prospects, with Fordham having about 10% more of their class going to Big Law(Fordham is in the low twenty's and Cardozo/Brooklyn is under 15%). If to you that is worth however more you'll have to pay for Fordham, then Fordham is the better choice(and is the better school regardless), but if you're one of the super debt shy types and/or you like Cardozo more, that also makes sense.

Clemenceau

Silver

Postby Clemenceau » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:04 am

Ferrisjso wrote:I'm a 0L from NYC looking at these schools as well(among others) who also would just be paying tuition if I chose to stay home. From looking at the employment stats on LST that the people on here directed me to use, their isn't much difference between Cardozo and Fordham in terms of employment at face value(the same goes for Brooklyn). From my vantage point, the main difference between Fordham and Cardozo/Brooklyn is big law prospects, with Fordham having about 10% more of their class going to Big Law(Fordham is in the low twenty's and Cardozo/Brooklyn is under 15%). If to you that is worth however more you'll have to pay for Fordham, then Fordham is the better choice(and is the better school regardless), but if you're one of the super debt shy types and/or you like Cardozo more, that also makes sense.

You see that on lst? I'm seeing 33%, 18%, 17% biglaw for fordham, brooklyn, cardozo respectively.

ku546

Bronze

Postby ku546 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:28 am

Fordham. I'm a current Fordham 1L. I know many Cardozo transfers. Your opportunities at Fordham will be significantly better. I got into biglaw by the hair of my chin. Every bit of prestige matters and the money will pay off in the long run.

Ferrisjso

Gold

Postby Ferrisjso » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:39 am

Clemenceau wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:I'm a 0L from NYC looking at these schools as well(among others) who also would just be paying tuition if I chose to stay home. From looking at the employment stats on LST that the people on here directed me to use, their isn't much difference between Cardozo and Fordham in terms of employment at face value(the same goes for Brooklyn). From my vantage point, the main difference between Fordham and Cardozo/Brooklyn is big law prospects, with Fordham having about 10% more of their class going to Big Law(Fordham is in the low twenty's and Cardozo/Brooklyn is under 15%). If to you that is worth however more you'll have to pay for Fordham, then Fordham is the better choice(and is the better school regardless), but if you're one of the super debt shy types and/or you like Cardozo more, that also makes sense.

You see that on lst? I'm seeing 33%, 18%, 17% biglaw for fordham, brooklyn, cardozo respectively.

Maybe I have a different year? I haven't seen those numbers in like a month(I've been studying for my retake) and I might have gotten them confused with the numbers from the 509's(which I converted in spreadsheet) Also I was only counting the 500 plus firms, but I know some people count some of the other category's as well so maybe that's it?

existentialcrisis

Bronze

Postby existentialcrisis » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:30 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:
Clemenceau wrote:

Maybe I have a different year? I haven't seen those numbers in like a month(I've been studying for my retake) and I might have gotten them confused with the numbers from the 509's(which I converted in spreadsheet) Also I was only counting the 500 plus firms, but I know some people count some of the other category's as well so maybe that's it?

There's really no reason to make 500+ the cutoff for "big law."

stego

Platinum

Postby stego » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:59 pm

existentialcrisis wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
Clemenceau wrote:

I think 100+ person law firms is the usual cutoff people on TLS use for biglaw firms.

Ferrisjso

Gold

Postby Ferrisjso » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:51 pm

stego wrote:
existentialcrisis wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
Clemenceau wrote:

I think 100+ person law firms is the usual cutoff people on TLS use for biglaw firms.

Yeh I remember reading somewhere a while ago it was 500. I always thought it didn't make sense for firms with 100's of lawyers to not be considered "big law". Thanks for the clarification guys.

hillaryrodham

New

Postby hillaryrodham » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:26 am

Return to “Choosing a Law School�