Business Law without background in Business? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
RamTitan

Silver

Re: Business Law without background in Business?

Post by RamTitan » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:40 pm

Voyager wrote:Corporate law? Requires zero business background.

Business decisions are made by guys like me. Don't worry, I have data and have done the forecasts, ROI and evaluation of business risk. I don't need lawyers to help with that. You guys aren't qualified.

I need lawyers to make sure: (a) my crazy schemes don't get us sued/arrested and (b) to make sure I can hold other parties accountable in a contract.

I am interested in your advice as it pertains to the above. I have zero interest in your evaluation of my business judgment.
Lol, you sound insufferable

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:15 pm

RamTitan wrote:

Business decisions are made by guys like me. Don't worry, I have data and have done the forecasts, ROI and evaluation of business risk. I don't need lawyers to help with that. You guys aren't qualified.

I need lawyers to make sure: (a) my crazy schemes don't get us sued/arrested and (b) to make sure I can hold other parties accountable in a contract.

I am interested in your advice as it pertains to the above. I have zero interest in your evaluation of my business judgment.
If you want to work in corporate law, you need to work on turning that frown upside-down.

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:28 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
scalawag wrote:I'm not sure if T14 will be possible.

Gotta take the LSAT, taking in December and again in the Fall. I'm sure I'll hit my max score one of those two times, you can't fuck that thing up twice.
Famous last words...
+100/180

Voyager

Silver

Post by Voyager » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:11 pm

RamTitan wrote:

Heh. Maybe so... and yet this is exactly how business leaders think about attorneys: as a supporting function.

EDIT: by the way, I new several friends from law school who were really pissed about this. My favorite quote: "I'm so much smarter than these business guys yet they make more than me and work less."
Yeah, friend, maybe so... now don't you have a contract to go review?

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:52 pm

Voyager wrote:
RamTitan wrote:

Heh. Maybe so... and yet this is exactly how business leaders think about attorneys: as a supporting function.

EDIT: by the way, I new several friends from law school who were really pissed about this. My favorite quote: "I'm so much smarter than these business guys yet they make more than me and work less."
Sure, just at HR, marketing, etc. are as well; supporting functions of a business. This is not a wrong sentiment obviously. But that doesn't change the fact that you sound insufferable.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:47 pm

RamTitan wrote:
Voyager wrote:
RamTitan wrote:

Sure, just at HR, marketing, etc. are as well; supporting functions of a business. This is not a wrong sentiment obviously. But that doesn't change the fact that you sound insufferable.
With that said, if your lawyer friend feels that way, then he should probably should start his own business or make a career transition instead of complaining

Voyager

Silver

Post by Voyager » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:33 pm

RamTitan wrote:Sure, just at HR, marketing, etc. are as well; supporting functions of a business. This is not a wrong sentiment obviously. But that doesn't change the fact that you sound insufferable.
Heh. Well, fair enough.

I do think my answer was rather on point for the OP, though.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:58 am

Voyager wrote:
RamTitan wrote:

He may sound like a dick, but this is tough love. Too many 0Ls who dont want to do math go to law school because they think it will eventually let them backdoor into finance or some other business capacity or they will be doing some hybrid of business and law. It's just not like that, and the sooner more 0Ls realize this the better.

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:34 pm

timbs4339 wrote:
Voyager wrote:
RamTitan wrote:

He may sound like a dick, but this is tough love. Too many 0Ls who dont want to do math go to law school because they think it will eventually let them backdoor into finance or some other business capacity or they will be doing some hybrid of business and law. It's just not like that, and the sooner more 0Ls realize this the better.
Seriously? I must be out of touch then haha, that seems ridiculous

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:19 pm

RamTitan wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:
Voyager wrote:
RamTitan wrote:

That's because it's not true

Voyager

Silver

Post by Voyager » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:29 pm

star fox wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:
Voyager wrote:
RamTitan wrote:

Heh, well, what did any of us know as 0L... or even 1Ls... Or 3Ls...

I thought I was going to be "MASTER LITIGATOR".

Fantasy:
"Mr. Jarvis: is this your signature?"
"Yes"
*Jr. Associate Voyager moves in for the kill*

Reality:
"Mr. Voyager: did you get my research memo edits?"
"Yes"
*Partner moves in to kill Voyager's weekend*

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:34 pm

Voyager wrote:
star fox wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:
Voyager wrote:
RamTitan wrote:

Heh, well, what did any of us know as 0Ls.

I thought I was going to be "MASTER LITIGATOR"
Dang.. I actually took the LSAT because I figured it was my way into finance without numbers on a test. Thanks for exposing this deception for what it truly is!!

Voyager

Silver

Post by Voyager » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:38 pm

poptart123 wrote:
Dang.. I actually took the LSAT because I figured it was my way into finance without numbers on a test. Thanks for exposing this deception for what it truly is!!
Please refer to the original post.

At least some 1Ls do not know what being a "corporate attorney" means. I tried to help.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:40 pm

Voyager wrote:
poptart123 wrote:

At least some 1Ls do not know what being a "corporate attorney" means. I tried to help.
Why? Your previous posts really influenced me. As you said, I really wanted to backdoor into finance, but I now see that this isn't what happens!!

Voyager

Silver

Post by Voyager » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:47 pm

poptart123 wrote:
Voyager wrote:
poptart123 wrote:

Why? Your previous posts really influenced me. As you said, I really wanted to backdoor into finance, but I now see that this isn't what happens!!
I hope you are just beating this sarcasm drum one beat too far...

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:41 pm

star fox wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:
Voyager wrote:
RamTitan wrote:

No, it is. Not saying that some lawyers don't make the switch, but the idea of the biglawyer who secretly wants to be a banker/consultant/strategic or the 0L who wants to go to law school because they think it will help them get law jobs and any other job they want are cliches at this point. That's just not how it works.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”