170/3.86 accepted to Columbia($), reapply?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
appind

Gold
Posts: 2258
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:07 am

Re: 170/3.86 accepted to Columbia($), reapply?

Postby appind » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:34 pm

Barack Obama 2.0 wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:
Barack Obama 2.0 wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:If you want H, just sit out and retake the LSAT and reapply next cycle. If it is your dream, what is another year? Like I always say, Barack Obama applied 2 cycles and finally got H. He also didn't finish law school until he was 30!


He did? Where did you learn that?



Well him not finishing law school until he was 30 is out there. I think I found that out from his book "Dreams From My Father"

Idk where I read he applied 2 cycles. I might be mistaken about that actually or heard it from a non-credible source. But he was definitely 27 when he started law school.


Haha, I asked because I was curious, not because I didn't believe you. I know that he definitely started law school when he was 27. Who knows, he may have applied 2 cycles, I know that Michelle was first waitlisted at Harvard and then one of her prof's at Princeton wrote another letter to the admissions committee and she was eventually admitted off of the waitlist.


i don't think dreams from my father mentions anywhere that obama applied 2 cycles. it in fact suggests that he applied only once as he discusses it only in the context of a certain year. he also says that he only applied to 3 schools, hys.

User avatar
Barack O'Drama

Gold
Posts: 3275
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:21 pm

Re: 170/3.86 accepted to Columbia($), reapply?

Postby Barack O'Drama » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:41 pm

appind wrote:
Barack Obama 2.0 wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:
Barack Obama 2.0 wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:If you want H, just sit out and retake the LSAT and reapply next cycle. If it is your dream, what is another year? Like I always say, Barack Obama applied 2 cycles and finally got H. He also didn't finish law school until he was 30!


He did? Where did you learn that?



Well him not finishing law school until he was 30 is out there. I think I found that out from his book "Dreams From My Father"

Idk where I read he applied 2 cycles. I might be mistaken about that actually or heard it from a non-credible source. But he was definitely 27 when he started law school.


Haha, I asked because I was curious, not because I didn't believe you. I know that he definitely started law school when he was 27. Who knows, he may have applied 2 cycles, I know that Michelle was first waitlisted at Harvard and then one of her prof's at Princeton wrote another letter to the admissions committee and she was eventually admitted off of the waitlist.


i don't think dreams from my father mentions anywhere that obama applied 2 cycles. it in fact suggests that he applied only once as he discusses it only in the context of a certain year. he also says that he only applied to 3 schools, hys.


No, DFMF is where I read Obama was 27 when he began. As far as the 2 cycles, I'm not sure where I got that and admittedly it might not be true.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
appind

Gold
Posts: 2258
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:07 am

Re: 170/3.86 accepted to Columbia($), reapply?

Postby appind » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:44 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote:
appind wrote:
Barack Obama 2.0 wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:
Barack Obama 2.0 wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:If you want H, just sit out and retake the LSAT and reapply next cycle. If it is your dream, what is another year? Like I always say, Barack Obama applied 2 cycles and finally got H. He also didn't finish law school until he was 30!


He did? Where did you learn that?



Well him not finishing law school until he was 30 is out there. I think I found that out from his book "Dreams From My Father"

Idk where I read he applied 2 cycles. I might be mistaken about that actually or heard it from a non-credible source. But he was definitely 27 when he started law school.


Haha, I asked because I was curious, not because I didn't believe you. I know that he definitely started law school when he was 27. Who knows, he may have applied 2 cycles, I know that Michelle was first waitlisted at Harvard and then one of her prof's at Princeton wrote another letter to the admissions committee and she was eventually admitted off of the waitlist.


i don't think dreams from my father mentions anywhere that obama applied 2 cycles. it in fact suggests that he applied only once as he discusses it only in the context of a certain year. he also says that he only applied to 3 schools, hys.


No, DFMF is where I read Obama was 27 when he began. As far as the 2 cycles, I'm not sure where I got that and admittedly it might not be true.


it's pretty common knowledge that he was 27 when he began hls 1988-91, not exclusive to dfmf. that 2 cycle part doesn't seem correct.

User avatar
Barack O'Drama

Gold
Posts: 3275
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:21 pm

Re: 170/3.86 accepted to Columbia($), reapply?

Postby Barack O'Drama » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:50 pm

appind wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:
appind wrote:
Barack Obama 2.0 wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:
Barack Obama 2.0 wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:If you want H, just sit out and retake the LSAT and reapply next cycle. If it is your dream, what is another year? Like I always say, Barack Obama applied 2 cycles and finally got H. He also didn't finish law school until he was 30!


He did? Where did you learn that?



Well him not finishing law school until he was 30 is out there. I think I found that out from his book "Dreams From My Father"

Idk where I read he applied 2 cycles. I might be mistaken about that actually or heard it from a non-credible source. But he was definitely 27 when he started law school.


Haha, I asked because I was curious, not because I didn't believe you. I know that he definitely started law school when he was 27. Who knows, he may have applied 2 cycles, I know that Michelle was first waitlisted at Harvard and then one of her prof's at Princeton wrote another letter to the admissions committee and she was eventually admitted off of the waitlist.


i don't think dreams from my father mentions anywhere that obama applied 2 cycles. it in fact suggests that he applied only once as he discusses it only in the context of a certain year. he also says that he only applied to 3 schools, hys.


No, DFMF is where I read Obama was 27 when he began. As far as the 2 cycles, I'm not sure where I got that and admittedly it might not be true.


it's pretty common knowledge that he was 27 when he began hls 1988-91, not exclusive to dfmf. that 2 cycle part doesn't seem correct.


Dude cool. That is where I first read it a while back. I'm sure it is common knowledge. Never said it was exclusive to DFMF. It's a book I read back when I started high school so apologies if I don't remember the details. As for the 2 cycles, I'm pretty sure it isn't correct at this point, because I can't find anything on it. I'll post if I can verify anything on it though.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Helioze

Bronze
Posts: 228
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:10 am

Re: 170/3.86 accepted to Columbia($), reapply?

Postby Helioze » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:15 am


Dude cool. That is where I first read it a while back. I'm sure it is common knowledge. Never said it was exclusive to DFMF. It's a book I read back when I started high school so apologies if I don't remember the details. As for the 2 cycles, I'm pretty sure it isn't correct at this point, because I can't find anything on it. I'll post if I can verify anything on it though.


I have said that he applied twice before.

I have also said a lot of dumb stuff.

User avatar
Barack O'Drama

Gold
Posts: 3275
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:21 pm

Re: 170/3.86 accepted to Columbia($), reapply?

Postby Barack O'Drama » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:32 am

Helioze wrote:

Dude cool. That is where I first read it a while back. I'm sure it is common knowledge. Never said it was exclusive to DFMF. It's a book I read back when I started high school so apologies if I don't remember the details. As for the 2 cycles, I'm pretty sure it isn't correct at this point, because I can't find anything on it. I'll post if I can verify anything on it though.


I have said that he applied twice before.

I have also said a lot of dumb stuff.


Lol. I hear you man...Same here.

In any case, there was a great point and that was to not rush taking the damn LSAT.

I could have sworn I read it somewhere, but I can't find a single thing on it now. So I think it is safe to assume he only applied once.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Helioze

Bronze
Posts: 228
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:10 am

Re: 170/3.86 accepted to Columbia($), reapply?

Postby Helioze » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:34 am

Barack O'Drama wrote:
Helioze wrote:

Dude cool. That is where I first read it a while back. I'm sure it is common knowledge. Never said it was exclusive to DFMF. It's a book I read back when I started high school so apologies if I don't remember the details. As for the 2 cycles, I'm pretty sure it isn't correct at this point, because I can't find anything on it. I'll post if I can verify anything on it though.


I have said that he applied twice before.

I have also said a lot of dumb stuff.


Lol. I hear you man...Same here.

In any case, there was a great point and that was to not rush taking the damn LSAT.

I could have sworn I read it somewhere, but I can't find a single thing on it now. So I think it is safe to assume he only applied once.


I also read DFMF and I remember distinctly the part about him applying to law school and him being cocky about the whole process. (Something about semi-gloating to an old man that he only applied to HYS and was sure to get in.) I don't think that would fit the narrative that he applied twice.

User avatar
Barack O'Drama

Gold
Posts: 3275
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:21 pm

Re: 170/3.86 accepted to Columbia($), reapply?

Postby Barack O'Drama » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:36 am

Helioze wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:
Helioze wrote:

Dude cool. That is where I first read it a while back. I'm sure it is common knowledge. Never said it was exclusive to DFMF. It's a book I read back when I started high school so apologies if I don't remember the details. As for the 2 cycles, I'm pretty sure it isn't correct at this point, because I can't find anything on it. I'll post if I can verify anything on it though.


I have said that he applied twice before.

I have also said a lot of dumb stuff.


Lol. I hear you man...Same here.

In any case, there was a great point and that was to not rush taking the damn LSAT.

I could have sworn I read it somewhere, but I can't find a single thing on it now. So I think it is safe to assume he only applied once.


I also read DFMF and I remember distinctly the part about him applying to law school and him being cocky about the whole process. (Something about semi-gloating to an old man that he only applied to HYS and was sure to get in.) I don't think that would fit the narrative that he applied twice.


Ok thanks! I haven't read that thing in close to 8 years, so my brain was a bit rusty.

So hopefully this can finally settle it. He did not apply twice.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SlippinJimmy

New
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:01 am

Re: 170/3.86 accepted to Columbia($), reapply?

Postby SlippinJimmy » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:24 pm

Barack Obama 2.0 wrote:
PrezRand wrote:
Barack Obama 2.0 wrote:
PrezRand wrote:Would Ted Cruz be considered a URM? Lol


He's Cuban, so I don't think so.

Are people from Central America not considered URMs?


To my knowledge no. If you are hispanic, I believe you must be Mexican-American to be considered a URM.


That doesn't sound right. There's no way you don't get a URM bump if you are Guatamalan, Salvadorean or from other Central American countries once (or currently) ruled by military dictatorships.

User avatar
jbagelboy

Diamond
Posts: 10277
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: 170/3.86 accepted to Columbia($), reapply?

Postby jbagelboy » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:16 pm

SlippinJimmy wrote:
Barack Obama 2.0 wrote:
PrezRand wrote:
Barack Obama 2.0 wrote:
PrezRand wrote:Would Ted Cruz be considered a URM? Lol


He's Cuban, so I don't think so.

Are people from Central America not considered URMs?


To my knowledge no. If you are hispanic, I believe you must be Mexican-American to be considered a URM.


That doesn't sound right. There's no way you don't get a URM bump if you are Guatamalan, Salvadorean or from other Central American countries once (or currently) ruled by military dictatorships.


Those groups are not under-represented in law school relative to the general American population. it isn't a contest of which group has historically suffered most. URM are those groups that are considered under-represented minorities for the purposes of law school admission. URM =/= diverse.

SlippinJimmy

New
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:01 am

Re: 170/3.86 accepted to Columbia($), reapply?

Postby SlippinJimmy » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:17 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
SlippinJimmy wrote:
That doesn't sound right. There's no way you don't get a URM bump if you are Guatamalan, Salvadorean or from other Central American countries once (or currently) ruled by military dictatorships.


Those groups are not under-represented in law school relative to the general American population. it isn't a contest of which group has historically suffered most. URM are those groups that are considered under-represented minorities for the purposes of law school admission. URM =/= diverse.


That makes sense, though I find it hard to believe groups that immigrate as essentially economic refugees are adequately represented in law school regardless of how small they may be relative to national demographics.

cavalier1138

Gold
Posts: 4955
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: 170/3.86 accepted to Columbia($), reapply?

Postby cavalier1138 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:17 pm

SlippinJimmy wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
SlippinJimmy wrote:
That doesn't sound right. There's no way you don't get a URM bump if you are Guatamalan, Salvadorean or from other Central American countries once (or currently) ruled by military dictatorships.


Those groups are not under-represented in law school relative to the general American population. it isn't a contest of which group has historically suffered most. URM are those groups that are considered under-represented minorities for the purposes of law school admission. URM =/= diverse.


That makes sense, though I find it hard to believe groups that immigrate as essentially economic refugees are adequately represented in law school regardless of how small they may be relative to national demographics.


Well, bear in mind that a number of people who left those countries did so because they were part of the ruling class and were more or less on the receiving end of the coup. I have no idea if that's the case for every Central/South American country, but the fact remains that those populations are evidently represented enough in law schools that they don't receive any boosts.

welcometothefamily

New
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:25 pm

Re: 170/3.86 accepted to Columbia($), reapply?

Postby welcometothefamily » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:24 am

OP, you should definitely retest. Since you broke that 170 barrier, getting it up to a 173 or 174 would give you a significant leg up.

User avatar
calpolisci2016

Bronze
Posts: 391
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:42 am

Re: 170/3.86 accepted to Columbia($), reapply?

Postby calpolisci2016 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:32 pm

Do law schools distinguish between nationalities or is it just broadly "race" like white, black, Asian?

Do law schools distinguish between a Mexican American and a Peruvian American, for example, when considering a URM?

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond
Posts: 29313
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: 170/3.86 accepted to Columbia($), reapply?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:47 pm

It's not entirely clear. For a long time people always said it was only Mexican-Americans and Puerto Ricans that got the bump, I think because those groups were specifically mentioned in the relevant Supreme Court case (and due to their underrepresentation. It's not clear that Peruvian-Americans, for instance, are underrepresented in US law schools). However, people have been reporting more recently that LSAC and many (? some? not sure) schools ask only whether you're Hispanic/Latino, and don't ask you to parse it further - so even if schools wanted to distinguish between groups, they might not be able to do so.

(Only MA/PRs out of Hispanics, that is - other groups that get an identifiable bump are AAs and NAs.)

welcometothefamily

New
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:25 pm

Re: 170/3.86 accepted to Columbia($), reapply?

Postby welcometothefamily » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:15 pm

Hate to jump on the OP's thread, but question regarding Hispanic/Latino:

Could I check the box? My grandma was born and raised in Argentina, making me 1/4 Latin American. IF that helps my chances (and it's legal), I'm all for it...

User avatar
star fox

Diamond
Posts: 20787
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:13 pm

Re: 170/3.86 accepted to Columbia($), reapply?

Postby star fox » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:10 pm

Get a full ride from Northwestern and fuck going into debt for better schools imo.

User avatar
ForumCommissar

New
Posts: 88
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:40 am

Re: 170/3.86 accepted to Columbia($), reapply?

Postby ForumCommissar » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:31 pm

Out of curiosity, could a Hispanic that's not exactly of Mexican descent (for instance, let's say a Cuban) but was nonetheless "Mexican" enough to pass as Mexican, would there be any real way LSAC could prove otherwise? I suppose they could talk to family but what if they were in on it.

Or do URM's indeed have to prove they are URM?

I'm white as white gets btw so none of this applies to me.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond
Posts: 29313
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: 170/3.86 accepted to Columbia($), reapply?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:52 pm

It would be creepy to make someone "prove" they're URM, so no. (Closest is that there is some discussion that NAs with tribal membership fare better than NAs who don't have tribal membership, but that's complicated.)



Return to “Choosing a Law School�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests