WUSTL v. VLS v. UH

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where to?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:22 pm

WUSTL
17%
VLS
67%
UH
17%

Total votes: 12

apoplee

New

WUSTL v. VLS v. UH

Postby apoplee » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:22 pm

Hello all,

Got off a few waitlists last week.

I'm leaning toward Vandy because of reputation/job placement, however Cost is a concern. My top consideration is ROI.

I am from Houston and currently live in Houston. Almost all my ties are in Houston and Texas. At this time I'd like to eventually practice in Texas (corporate law), but I'd like to keep my options open to practice elsewhere. I like the national appeal of the more nationally recognized schools.

I have family support of 100% of cost if I attend UH. Family will support majority of cost if I attend WUSTL or Vandy, but I may have to take out some loans, but should be no more than around half the total cost (still working this out).

Stats -
LSAT: 158
UGPA: 3.75

COA below is net scholarship offers -
WUSTL Total COA: $132k
VLS Total COA: $167k
UH Total COA: $88k
For UH, I have the option to live at home with parent, which reduces UH Total COA to $55k

Thoughts?

Thank you

cavalier1138

Gold

Re: WUSTL v. VLS v. UH

Postby cavalier1138 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:55 pm

When you say "corporate law", do you mean biglaw? What size firm did you envision yourself practicing in?

Chill_Out

New

Postby Chill_Out » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:00 pm

I think it makes sense for you to retake & try to attend UT. I would vote for UH with these options, though!

apoplee wrote:Hello all,

Got off a few waitlists last week.

I'm leaning toward Vandy because of reputation/job placement, however Cost is a concern. My top consideration is ROI.

I am from Houston and currently live in Houston. Almost all my ties are in Houston and Texas. At this time I'd like to eventually practice in Texas (corporate law), but I'd like to keep my options open to practice elsewhere. I like the national appeal of the more nationally recognized schools.

I have family support of 100% of cost if I attend UH. Family will support majority of cost if I attend WUSTL or Vandy, but I may have to take out some loans, but should be no more than around half the total cost (still working this out).

Stats -
LSAT: 158
UGPA: 3.75

COA below is net scholarship offers -
WUSTL Total COA: $132k
VLS Total COA: $167k
UH Total COA: $88k
For UH, I have the option to live at home with parent, which reduces UH Total COA to $55k

Thoughts?

Thank you

RamTitan

Silver

Postby RamTitan » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:26 pm

Retake; don't leave those points on the table OP

PrezRand

Gold

Postby PrezRand » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:38 pm

Most people here will tell you to retake. You should if you are willing to wait out another year for potentially getting into UT. Would your parents support you the same way they would support you in Houston if you attended UT? If they would, why not wait a year. I'm a Houston native as well. If you are considering practicing elsewhere, you should probably take UH off your list. Considering you got into Vandy and WUSTL, you should probably take UH of your list. A third of UH grads ended up working in firms with 2-10 lawyers.

acr

Silver

Postby acr » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:51 pm

I don't like that debt number for Vandy or WUSTL. At WUSTL you will have about a 1/3 chance of landing a job in which you will be able to service your debt, and doing well will be difficult. Your odds are slightly better at Vanderbilt, but I don't think that having nearly $200,000 in debt afterwards is worth it, even if you do land biglaw.

However, Nashville would definitely be worth about ~40K more to me than St. Louis just in terms of a city, so I guess Vandy would be my choice.

I would negotiate with WUSTL and see if they'll increase your scholarship. They're notorious for playing ball. Tell them you would really like to attend and that WUSTL is your top choice but it simply won't be possible unless they increase your scholarship. If they come back with some more money, then WUSTL might make sense.

Your best option is to retake and give yourself some better options next year.

jumbocolumbo

Bronze

Postby jumbocolumbo » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:12 pm

That GPA is so great; please, please, please retake and reapply and tell us how you got into multiple T-14's with $$$ next cycle.

Justtrying2help

Bronze

Postby Justtrying2help » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:18 pm

Is there a chance that Vanderbilt wouldn't accept op again next cycle or stiff them on scholly $$$? Op is below median on LSAT so my 0l brain thinks there is a "chance" they could be screwed for waiting.

KunAgnis

Bronze

Postby KunAgnis » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:23 pm

Justtrying2help wrote:Is there a chance that Vanderbilt wouldn't accept op again next cycle or stiff them on scholly $$$? Op is below median on LSAT so my 0l brain thinks there is a "chance" they could be screwed for waiting.

I think if OP can secure a higher LSAT score then he/she won't be "stiffed." I have read that schools don't recall if applicants are reapplying so I don't see an issue here.

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:37 am

Justtrying2help wrote:Is there a chance that Vanderbilt wouldn't accept op again next cycle or stiff them on scholly $$$? Op is below median on LSAT so my 0l brain thinks there is a "chance" they could be screwed for waiting.

Not if the OP retakes. The school doesn't go, "Oh, we already let you in, so even though you raised your LSAT 5 points, we're going to say 'No' out of spite."

Return to “Choosing a Law School�