Should i be concerned about increased class size?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
sreak31

New

Should i be concerned about increased class size?

Postby sreak31 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:09 pm

I am an incoming 1L at Ohio State. The class size (as appears on the list of class members on facebook) has apparently swelled to over 215 this year, which would be a sizable increase over the 177 matriculants last year. Is this something i should be worried about? I am aware that OSU's stats, while better than some law schools, are far from stellar and I am afraid they are overestimating the improvement in the American economy and legal sector in particular. I didn't know that the law school applicant pool had increased in size or quality either. Are other law schools suddenly matriculating an extra thirty five or so law students this year?
Last edited by sreak31 on Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RedGiant

Re: Should i be concerned about increased class size?

Postby RedGiant » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:13 pm

sreak31 wrote:I am an incoming 1L at Ohio State. The class size (as appears on the list of class members on facebook) has apparently swelled to over 215 this year, which would be a sizable increase over the 177 matriculants last year.

It makes a difference for recruiting, on the margins. However, if the class is bigger and the quality is down, then YAY, people at the bottom of the curve propping you up. So it's a mixed bag. You can't read too much into it. They may add a section too, instead of just making the class bigger. My gut says that historically, it was probably bigger, so...the school is likely fine at handling classes that big. But it will make jobs more competitive. Firms and employers don't increase their OSU hiring commensurately.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Postby Hikikomorist » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:18 pm

Doubt they're overestimating--probably just don't give a shit.

sreak31

New

Postby sreak31 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:25 pm

RedGiant wrote:
sreak31 wrote:I am an incoming 1L at Ohio State. The class size (as appears on the list of class members on facebook) has apparently swelled to over 215 this year, which would be a sizable increase over the 177 matriculants last year.

It makes a difference for recruiting, on the margins. However, if the class is bigger and the quality is down, then YAY, people at the bottom of the curve propping you up. So it's a mixed bag. You can't read too much into it. They may add a section too, instead of just making the class bigger. My gut says that historically, it was probably bigger, so...the school is likely fine at handling classes that big. But it will make jobs more competitive. Firms and employers don't increase their OSU hiring commensurately.

Thanks for the post. Yeah, I don't mind the increased class size in terms of educational opportunities, as I believe it may allow them to increase course offerings and maybe offer more clinics. From an employment perspective, it seems absurd though because their graduating classes of 2012 and 2013 struggled so much.

lymenheimer

Gold

Postby lymenheimer » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:26 pm

Does the facebook group have a 1L member list? Or is it just a list of individuals in the group? Some of those people may have decided to matriculate elsewhere and not left the group.

sreak31

New

Postby sreak31 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:27 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:Doubt they're overestimating--probably just don't give a shit.

Fair point, I don't mind obtaining a typical job out of OSU in a small law firm or government setting. But i obviously don't want to be underemployed or unemployed, like 20% of the graduating class in 2012 and 2013.

sreak31

New

Postby sreak31 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:31 pm

lymenheimer wrote:Does the facebook group have a 1L member list? Or is it just a list of individuals in the group? Some of those people may have decided to matriculate elsewhere and not left the group.

Thanks for the post. the facebook group is a list of students in the class of 2019. but there may be upper-classmen who have joined in order to sell books and give us advice. I am not sure how many students decided to matriculate elsewhere and have not left the group. I personally didn't join the group until I deposited in May. My gut feeling is that other than a few students waiting on T20's to admit them off the waitlist, at least 90% of the students in the group are deadset on attending OSU. Still, even if OSU only increased the class to 200 or so that would still be concerning to me.

Johann

Diamond

Postby Johann » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:30 pm

Of course bigger class sizes are a concern. It means more competition. But you aren't just competing against OSU grads, you're competing against law grads across the midwest. So if law students matriculation is up this year, it sucks and will be more competition, but there's nothing you can do about it. There's no telling next year there won't be even more matriculants. There's no telling what the economy will be like in 3 or 4 years.

If you can't stomach these risks, don't go to law school.

Nebby

Diamond

Postby Nebby » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:38 pm

sreak31 wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:Does the facebook group have a 1L member list? Or is it just a list of individuals in the group? Some of those people may have decided to matriculate elsewhere and not left the group.

Thanks for the post. the facebook group is a list of students in the class of 2019. but there may be upper-classmen who have joined in order to sell books and give us advice. I am not sure how many students decided to matriculate elsewhere and have not left the group. I personally didn't join the group until I deposited in May. My gut feeling is that other than a few students waiting on T20's to admit them off the waitlist, at least 90% of the students in the group are deadset on attending OSU. Still, even if OSU only increased the class to 200 or so that would still be concerning to me.

Are you sure some of the people in the group aren't current students, too?

Return to “Choosing a Law School�