Berkeley ($$) vs. Stanford (sticker)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Whichschool2016

New

Re: Berkeley ($$) vs. Stanford (sticker)

Postby Whichschool2016 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:17 am

jbagelboy wrote:not that you aren't welcome--this isn't about labeling the class enemy--it just helps to be sensitive or expect people to snark.

I completely understand, but again, he asked point blank if my SO was "rich rich." How can I be sensitive when answering a question like that? I know money is a touch-y subject, but (un)fortunately it's relevant to my situation.

Whichschool2016

New

Postby Whichschool2016 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:18 am

rpupkin wrote:
Whichschool2016 wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Whichschool2016 wrote:He's rich rich. And I agree and have mentioned that point. He doesn't think it will impact him much and is actively pushing me to go to SLS.

If that's a true statistic you shared, I think I would be one of those two students. I've worked in the public sector and at a firm, and i absolutely could not stomach the latter. And the whole reason I'm going to law school is to pursue the former. So you're right, I could change my mind. Hopefully in that case I would make enough money that paying off the loans wouldn't be too much of a struggle.

But that's moot in your case so long as you hold onto your sugar daddy.

Rude.

I meant it in a playful way. I really wasn't trying to insult you or your relationship. You're an anonymous poster on the Internet; I of course know nothing about you or your SO.

Everything I've written in this thread has been in the spirit of trying to help. I'm sincerely sorry I offended you.

I appreciate that. I'm just trying to make the best decision and it's an immensely stressful task while having such limited, incomplete information. I suppose we all have to just make a choice and never look back.

gsy987

Bronze

Postby gsy987 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:29 am

Wow this is a fun post with lots of pro's and con's for each school! (Also, congrats on having an awesome decision to make... needless to say that you'll do very well no matter where you attend.)

Because I'm thinking while writing this, lets list what I see as the pro's for attending each school:

Stanford:
-It's a top 3 law school that gives you a decent chance for those "special snowflake" type jobs that PI students dream about
-They have a very strong federal clerkship rate and on top of that, their LRAP helps cover it (something that is NOT the case at all schools)
-You have a much lower risk of not finding a job, period, at Stanford, as their LST underemployment rate is half that of Berkley's

Berkley:
-You liked it there. This is really important!
-They have a much stronger PI culture there, and their percentage of grads going into PI jobs is significantly higher than Stanford
-If you don't get married, you have a much smaller and less stressful debt load. 170k is a lot of debt, even if you're in an LRAP program!
-A corollary point here is that if you go to Berkley and have the smaller amount of total debt, you may not feel pressured to stay in a PI job you dislike (due to the lower debt burden)

Honestly, this is a really tough call, especially given your LRAP eligibility at Stanford...but the thing that sticks with me is your comment about the PI culture at Berkley being important to you. I think that, combined with a 30k scholarship, swings me slightly into the Boalt camp. In the end, you have to spend 3 years at this place, and if you like the people and the culture, I think that's an important factor. Congrats on two awesome options!!!

T3TON

New

Postby T3TON » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:47 am

I wouldnt get too hung up on which school has more of a PI culture. Its cool to be around people with similar interests but opportunity is more important. Stanford gives you a tangible edge for the most interesting and competitive PI jobs. Youll meet plenty of people at Stanford who want to do PI also. Berkeley is a great program but I think the gap here is large enough to overcome qualitative fit.

whysoseriousbiglaw

Bronze

Postby whysoseriousbiglaw » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:32 pm

If your SO is rich rich (I assume that means 8 figures net worth, so $10 million+ liquid) and he will pay for you, why are you even going to law school? Most JDs drop out of the legal profession within a few years of graduating. Go do something more interesting with your life.

Jordan Catalano

New

Postby Jordan Catalano » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:42 pm

I'm having flashbacks from the time I was with my rich fiancé who said "go for it, I'll pay for it" and then we broke up and guess who paid the student loans? Me. It happens. It sucks.

Don't consider his money your money unless you already have it in your personal bank account.

Plus, if he is really rich rich why couldn't he pay your tuition bills as soon as they are due? Why wait until you are officially married to pay your tuition? If you are going to get married and be together forever and forever and he is rich rich it seems like paying tuition at the start of each semester would be do-able and then you wouldn't be paying 3 years of compounded interest on top of your tuition.

Return to “Choosing a Law School?