Worth it to retake and reapply?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
TragicBronson

New
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:38 pm

Worth it to retake and reapply?

Postby TragicBronson » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:23 pm

.
Last edited by TragicBronson on Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
legit

Bronze
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:17 pm

Re: Worth it to retake and reapply?

Postby legit » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:25 pm

Your GPA is locked once you earn your undergraduate degree.

TragicBronson

New
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:38 pm

Re: Worth it to retake and reapply?

Postby TragicBronson » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:35 pm

Yeah I get that, but the semester that just ended would be before my degree is finished and after the first lsac report that I had done.

User avatar
theconsigliere

Bronze
Posts: 364
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:06 pm

Re: Worth it to retake and reapply?

Postby theconsigliere » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:36 pm

Do you think you could score in your 173-177 range with a retake? What happened on test day that causes you to get a 168?

Presumably it's been a while since you've studied for the LSAT. Since you only studied 6 weeks you should have preptests for more practice. If you think you can get 173+ then retake seems like a no-brainer.

Hornet2011

Bronze
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:50 pm

Re: Worth it to retake and reapply?

Postby Hornet2011 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:10 pm

Do you have in state tuition at UT-Austin? If so, that 60k would cover almost 2 years of tuition. What is your current cost of attendance at UT Austin right now?

TragicBronson

New
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:38 pm

Re: Worth it to retake and reapply?

Postby TragicBronson » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:02 pm

theconsigliere wrote:Do you think you could score in your 173-177 range with a retake? What happened on test day that causes you to get a 168?

Presumably it's been a while since you've studied for the LSAT. Since you only studied 6 weeks you should have preptests for more practice. If you think you can get 173+ then retake seems like a no-brainer.


I really don't know what caused me to go that low, which is why I don't want to just assume I could pop a 173. I feel pretty confident about 170+ though.

Hornet2011 wrote:Do you have in state tuition at UT-Austin? If so, that 60k would cover almost 2 years of tuition. What is your current cost of attendance at UT Austin right now?


No I don't. The 60K is a three year total and it would be subtracted from their usual oos tuition. So my tuition costs ought to be around 30K/year.
Last edited by TragicBronson on Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
theconsigliere

Bronze
Posts: 364
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:06 pm

Re: Worth it to retake and reapply?

Postby theconsigliere » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:20 pm

TragicBronson wrote:
theconsigliere wrote:Do you think you could score in your 173-177 range with a retake? What happened on test day that causes you to get a 168?

Presumably it's been a while since you've studied for the LSAT. Since you only studied 6 weeks you should have preptests for more practice. If you think you can get 173+ then retake seems like a no-brainer.


I really don't know what caused me to go that low, which is why I don't want to just assume I could pop a 173. I feel pretty confident about 170+ though.



If you're 90% sure you can get 170 and maybe 50% sure you can get 173+ then retake. 168 -> 170 is the difference between median and 75th percentile at lower half T14 schools. The jump from 168 to 170 seems to be a particularly important two point jump.

And yes, I don't think it's fair to assume 173+ but if that's where you're PTing then with hard work there's no reason to think you can't. Don't let the lower score on your first take hurt your confidence

Hornet2011

Bronze
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:50 pm

Re: Worth it to retake and reapply?

Postby Hornet2011 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:58 pm

Thanks for the extra info. I applied this past year with a 167 and 3.5X. I didn't get any scholarship cash, but I did get the in-state tuition deal, which essentially meant even being out of state I only paid in state. For what it's worth, I had probably above average softs ( 3 years of F500 work experience, manager + Ivy graduate schooling). I did apply late (January). UT was the best school I was admitted to, as I was wait listed at T-14. I was truthfully impressed by UT (not that it matters for your decision making) and had I been K-JD, I probably would have attended.

I think you can shoot for a retake if you wanot, but he practice tests can only tell you so much. I got my 167 on my 3rd test and I PT'd well above that on 40+ tests. Just make sure you can live with your decision, as while unlikely, you may not get into UT next round and if it is really a school you'd be happy with at a cost you can deal with, it may not be worth it to roll the dice again.



Return to “Choosing a Law School�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ali1234 and 6 guests