Is Boston College worth waiting another year over Fordham?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
CPAlawHopefu

Bronze

Is Boston College worth waiting another year over Fordham?

Postby CPAlawHopefu » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:14 pm

Long story short, I was WL at both. In May, I got an email from BC that I was rejected off waitlist. I took the June administration of LSAT and got a score boost of 3 points. This now puts me above BC median. Just today, I got a call from Fordham that I was accepted off WL.

Hence comes the dilemma. Fordham and BC are peer schools. Standard advice here is to pick the one that offers more $$$. Money is not an issue, so let's take it off from the factor. As far as the region goes, I honestly have no preference - either Boston or NYC is fine, and I know both cities have booming legal industry.

I want to work at BigLaw if possible, but in the likely case that I do not end up at one, I would at least want to be employed at a mid-sized firm that is not a secretarial or unrelated work field (aka "non-JD required work).

I'm not sure how reliable the LST reports are, but the difference in employment seems noteworthy between the two schools - BC boasts an 79% employment score (LT Permanent JD-required jobs) and 11% underemployment while Fordham "only" scores 67% in employment and has 15% underemployment. Furthermore, BC has 40% of graduates working at big firms while Fordham is at 34%.

Looking at numbers alone, BC clearly wins over Fordham objectively speaking. Based on LST report alone, BC seems to be in the league of top 20 (UCLA, UT Austin, etc) while Fordham seems to be a tier-level lower (though slightly).

Am I just in putting so much into the LST report and waiting out a year to attend BC next year (most likely will get in since both my GPA and LSAT are above the median) or will it not matter in the long run?

Edit: BTW, I have no more attempts remaining at LSAT since the June administration was my 3rd attempt. So retake is not an option for me.

Shootin

New

Re: Is Boston College worth waiting another year over Fordham?

Postby Shootin » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:29 am

Wait a year. Now you probably have a chance at schools that are a little better than that.

legit

Bronze

Postby legit » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:20 pm

Actually disclosing your numbers would help!

CPAlawHopefu

Bronze

Postby CPAlawHopefu » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:07 pm

164 LSAT, 3.6 GPA.

I highly doubt that these numbers will get me into any school that's worth picking over BC. T14 is out of question for me.

KMart

Gold

Postby KMart » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:13 pm

CPAlawHopefu wrote:I highly doubt that these numbers will get me into any school that's worth picking over BC. T14 is out of question for me.

Waiting a year might allow you to study and retake the LSAT to put those schools in play.

CPAlawHopefu

Bronze

Postby CPAlawHopefu » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:15 pm

KMart wrote:
CPAlawHopefu wrote:I highly doubt that these numbers will get me into any school that's worth picking over BC. T14 is out of question for me.

Waiting a year might allow you to study and retake the LSAT to put those schools in play.

I already made my 3rd attempt at LSAT. Retake isn't an option for me.

legit

Bronze

Postby legit » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:22 pm

CPAlawHopefu wrote:
KMart wrote:

When was your first attempt at the LSAT?

CPAlawHopefu

Bronze

Postby CPAlawHopefu » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:25 pm

legit wrote:
CPAlawHopefu wrote:
KMart wrote:

When was your first attempt at the LSAT?

June 2015.

legit

Bronze

Postby legit » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:33 pm

Even though you were rejected, have you tried contacting BC with your new score? You can also take the LSAT June 2017 exam.

favabeansoup

Bronze

Postby favabeansoup » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:07 am

What's the $$$ situation like? Waiting until next cycle will probably get some decent money at both. What's your total expected debt if you accepted BC now?

Big Dog

Silver

Postby Big Dog » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:17 am

what are your geographic goals? Boston or NYC or elsewhere? (Both are strong regionals, which won't translate far.)

btw: After hard numbers, BC is all about mission. If you do reapply, read up on Jesuit education and craft a supplemental "Why BC?" accordingly. Or, perhaps write such an essay now with your new LSAT score and ask for reconsideration. Just be prepared to pay sticker. (not recommended)

hipcatdaddio

Bronze

Postby hipcatdaddio » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:59 pm

Assuming that money is truly no issue, like you say and you've maxed out at 164, and you don't have a preference to NY or Boston, if you have more ties to one of these regions than the other, that should likely answer your question. However, if your ties to each region are completely equal, I would wait and apply early next cycle because you would likely have your pick. BC gives you a *slightly* better chance at biglaw than Fordham.

Jordan Catalano

New

Postby Jordan Catalano » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:36 pm

Yeah wait a year, go over your PS/application with a fine toothed comb, and reapply early in the application cycle.

Johann

Diamond

Postby Johann » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:43 pm

BC or Fordham and bust your ass. If you know NYC or Boston at this point, pick that school. If you don't know, pick whichever place youll work harder at.

Creasey

New

Postby Creasey » Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:18 am

CPAlawHopefu wrote:Long story short, I was WL at both. In May, I got an email from BC that I was rejected off waitlist. I took the June administration of LSAT and got a score boost of 3 points. This now puts me above BC median. Just today, I got a call from Fordham that I was accepted off WL.

Hence comes the dilemma. Fordham and BC are peer schools. Standard advice here is to pick the one that offers more $$$. Money is not an issue, so let's take it off from the factor. As far as the region goes, I honestly have no preference - either Boston or NYC is fine, and I know both cities have booming legal industry.

I want to work at BigLaw if possible, but in the likely case that I do not end up at one, I would at least want to be employed at a mid-sized firm that is not a secretarial or unrelated work field (aka "non-JD required work).

I'm not sure how reliable the LST reports are, but the difference in employment seems noteworthy between the two schools - BC boasts an 79% employment score (LT Permanent JD-required jobs) and 11% underemployment while Fordham "only" scores 67% in employment and has 15% underemployment. Furthermore, BC has 40% of graduates working at big firms while Fordham is at 34%.

Looking at numbers alone, BC clearly wins over Fordham objectively speaking. Based on LST report alone, BC seems to be in the league of top 20 (UCLA, UT Austin, etc) while Fordham seems to be a tier-level lower (though slightly).

Am I just in putting so much into the LST report and waiting out a year to attend BC next year (most likely will get in since both my GPA and LSAT are above the median) or will it not matter in the long run?

Edit: BTW, I have no more attempts remaining at LSAT since the June administration was my 3rd attempt. So retake is not an option for me.

Fordham considers itself a peer school of BC, but not vice-versa.

Return to “Choosing a Law School�