Future patent lawyer. Rutgers Newark vs ?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
circle.the.wagons

Bronze

Future patent lawyer. Rutgers Newark vs ?

Postby circle.the.wagons » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:45 pm

Last edited by circle.the.wagons on Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joeyc328

Bronze

Re: Future patent lawyer. Rutgers Newark vs ?

Postby joeyc328 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:55 pm

Option 1: would love to know why being an agent isn't an option. Many firms will pay for you to go to law school for free at night while working.

Option 2: Patent prosecution (assuming you want to do solely patent prosecution) might be the only area where you look at specialty rankings. So consider UNH, Cardozo, BU, and American U.

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... w-rankings

circle.the.wagons

Bronze

Postby circle.the.wagons » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:01 pm

Frankly it's just hard to find a job as an agent, I looked after undergrad while simultaneously looking for engineering positions. Firms want experience, PhDs, and chemical/biomed/electrical backgrounds so I could be looking for a job while, and I'd like to start my law career sooner than later. And I know I'd want to go to ls eventually so the agent gig would just be a stepping stone anyway.

To answer your other question, I wouldn't limit my future to only prosecution.

GoGreen17

New

Postby GoGreen17 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:08 pm

Hopeful patent lawyer here as well

If you score around your target then there's no reason Fordham won't be an option. Everyone on here will tell you to study your ass off for the LSAT and score as high as possible and I definitely agree. If you kill your LSAT in September, schools like the ones you listed will be offering you hefty scholarships. Personally I would stay away from Rutgers and aim more for Fordham, it's definitely in reach for you. A low GPA (especially if its from a hard major) can easily be erased by a good LSAT.

You listed Northeastern, are you looking into other Boston schools like BU and BC?

As far as your law school search goes, most of the information I've read says to ignore specialty rankings. In the end a client won't care if your middle of the road law school had a great patent program, they'll care if the school itself is good. New Hampshire supposedly has the #5 patent program, but I know I'd rather hire a lawyer from a Northwestern or a Vanderbilt because of name recognition.

Good Luck!

Traynor Brah

Silver

Postby Traynor Brah » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:47 pm

joeyc328 wrote:Option 2: Patent prosecution (assuming you want to do solely patent prosecution) might be the only area where you look at specialty rankings. So consider UNH, Cardozo, BU, and American U.

This is really bad advice. Don't consider such things.

Aim higher on the LSAT, execute, then reassess your options.

circle.the.wagons

Bronze

Postby circle.the.wagons » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:36 pm

GoGreen17 wrote:Hopeful patent lawyer here as well

If you score around your target then there's no reason Fordham won't be an option. Everyone on here will tell you to study your ass off for the LSAT and score as high as possible and I definitely agree. If you kill your LSAT in September, schools like the ones you listed will be offering you hefty scholarships. Personally I would stay away from Rutgers and aim more for Fordham, it's definitely in reach for you. A low GPA (especially if its from a hard major) can easily be erased by a good LSAT.

You listed Northeastern, are you looking into other Boston schools like BU and BC?

As far as your law school search goes, most of the information I've read says to ignore specialty rankings. In the end a client won't care if your middle of the road law school had a great patent program, they'll care if the school itself is good. New Hampshire supposedly has the #5 patent program, but I know I'd rather hire a lawyer from a Northwestern or a Vanderbilt because of name recognition.

Good Luck!

I'd love to spend 3 years in the city, and I would feel more comfortable about getting a job in the city at Fordham, but LST estimates non-discounted debt is almost $300k. Rutgers is probably about 100k but I'm sure I could get money there. Is Fordham's reputation worth the difference?

And I can give a stronger look to the Boston schools, I assumed Id be out based on my diagnostic, but after bumping my practixe score maybe I should reevaluate

GoGreen17

New

Postby GoGreen17 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:50 pm

circle.the.wagons wrote:
GoGreen17 wrote:Hopeful patent lawyer here as well

Good Luck!

I'd love to spend 3 years in the city, and I would feel more comfortable about getting a job in the city at Fordham, but LST estimates non-discounted debt is almost $300k. Rutgers is probably about 100k but I'm sure I could get money there. Is Fordham's reputation worth the difference?

And I can give a stronger look to the Boston schools, I assumed Id be out based on my diagnostic, but after bumping my practixe score maybe I should reevaluate

I think it's definitely worth sending in an application and then making your decision based on how much $ you get. It never hurts to apply outside what you think your range is and see what comes back, you might be surprised at what you get offered. Worst case you end up at Rutgers with good $

circle.the.wagons

Bronze

Postby circle.the.wagons » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:17 pm

Thanks. Actually now that I checked my school list on lsac.org, I see the last school that I forgot in my OP was Boston College :P

Another question- Like I mentioned, my end goal is to live and work in NYC. Obviously stuff happens, I'm not set in stone and I'd be happy in another major city, but I have no interest in staying in Jersey. I see a lot of conversation about RN vs. Fordham, and most people have the same "cost vs. NYC job opportunities" conundrum that I'm facing: RN is well respected in NJ but not really great for getting a position in the city. Considering that I'd be focusing on patent law which is a niche field, should I expect to have difficulty finding a job in NYC if I go to Rutgers like I would if I were just going for general practice?

GoGreen17

New

Postby GoGreen17 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:02 pm

circle.the.wagons wrote:Thanks. Actually now that I checked my school list on lsac.org, I see the last school that I forgot in my OP was Boston College :P

Another question- Like I mentioned, my end goal is to live and work in NYC. Obviously stuff happens, I'm not set in stone and I'd be happy in another major city, but I have no interest in staying in Jersey. I see a lot of conversation about RN vs. Fordham, and most people have the same "cost vs. NYC job opportunities" conundrum that I'm facing: RN is well respected in NJ but not really great for getting a position in the city. Considering that I'd be focusing on patent law which is a niche field, should I expect to have difficulty finding a job in NYC if I go to Rutgers like I would if I were just going for general practice?

I honestly couldn't answer that for you. I'm trying to find answers to some of the same questions though so let me know what you find out!

SplitMyPants

Gold

Postby SplitMyPants » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:18 pm

15 to 20 points from diagnostic to test day is not unreasonable. There's no reason to not aim for 170+ here, IMO. I'd say buckle down and study hard, there's literally thousands of dollars on the line.

PresTTTigious

New

Postby PresTTTigious » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:46 am

joeyc328 wrote:
Option 2: Patent prosecution (assuming you want to do solely patent prosecution) might be the only area where you look at specialty rankings. So consider UNH, Cardozo, BU, and American U.

So presTTTigious!

favabeansoup

Bronze

Postby favabeansoup » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:18 pm

OP, worry about your LSAT first here. I know it's nice to plan ahead somewhat, but your LSAT is the deciding factor in all of this. If you do well on your LSAT you can have several options that are much, much better than Rutgers for NYC and for not that much money (scholarships from high LSAT). Go study for your LSAT and keep away from this forum for now.

You should absolutely not base your expectations off of one (1) practice test. My LSAT was at least 5-6+ above my first practice test (not diagnostic). Keep studying and completely ignore schools you are competitive for until you've taken at least 10 practice tests and you start to see an average, but better yet wait until you get an actual LSAT score.

circle.the.wagons

Bronze

Postby circle.the.wagons » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:43 am

Been taking the above posts advice to heart so I haven't replied to this thread in a couple days but something I just want to throw out there:

I think I could get good money to Brooklyn or Cardozo. I know the TTT deal and shit biglaw employment prospects. But again, I'm looking for patent work. Would these be good considerations if I could get full or near-full scholarships to either? Would never consider either otherwise.

I'm not necessarily gunning for biglaw, boutique is fine by me (maybe "boutique " is the biglaw of thr patent world) I just want to do well for myself.

favabeansoup

Bronze

Postby favabeansoup » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:16 am

circle.the.wagons wrote:Been taking the above posts advice to heart so I haven't replied to this thread in a couple days but something I just want to throw out there:

I think I could get good money to Brooklyn or Cardozo. I know the TTT deal and shit biglaw employment prospects. But again, I'm looking for patent work. Would these be good considerations if I could get full or near-full scholarships to either? Would never consider either otherwise.

I'm not necessarily gunning for biglaw, boutique is fine by me (maybe "boutique " is the biglaw of thr patent world) I just want to do well for myself.

I will repeat my advice and tell you to stop trying to plan ahead until you have an actual LSAT score to work with. No one can give you accurate advice until you do so. You are putting the cart before the horse.

circle.the.wagons

Bronze

Postby circle.the.wagons » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:46 pm

You're right, I had a slow day at work and the curiosity was overbearing.

I was playing with some law school predictors, and noticed with my GPA, if I score in the high 160s I can likely get money to BC. So with that said, I'm really motivated to put my head down and grind it out.

HonestAdvice

Bronze

Postby HonestAdvice » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:08 pm

As a patent lawyer you really shouldn't approach it any differently. It's a niche area, but still competitive because (1) there aren't that many patent jobs and (2) people with the necessary prerequisites are also the best scoring LSAT demographic so tend to come out of better law schools than the average JD. At a table of lawyers, the IP lawyer will never be the dumbest person at the table. Your IP background and the low GPA's that come with it uniquely disadvantage you, and you need to use the fact you're probably smart right now to get an LSAT that offsets it. It seems you're betting on patent law to save you, and this is a losing bet. Rutgers isn't an NYC school. The fact it's an hour drive from NYC makes it as much of an NYC institution as the New Jersey Devils.

circle.the.wagons

Bronze

Postby circle.the.wagons » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:36 pm

Totally understand except on your last point- Rutgers Newark is 20 minutes from NYC. Not saying that necessarily makes RN an NYC school, but that explains why I (and a lot of people in the same position as me) have this idea in my head.

Anyway, I don't need to go 100k into debt to make 60K a year as a lawyer- I'd be making well over that in 4 years as an engineer without the debt. So like I said, the gravity of my situation has definitely clicked for me, and I know I need to work my ass off to get into a better school.

HonestAdvice

Bronze

Postby HonestAdvice » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:28 pm

circle.the.wagons wrote:Totally understand except on your last point- Rutgers Newark is 20 minutes from NYC. Not saying that necessarily makes RN an NYC school, but that explains why I (and a lot of people in the same position as me) have this idea in my head.

Anyway, I don't need to go 100k into debt to make 60K a year as a lawyer- I'd be making well over that in 4 years as an engineer without the debt. So like I said, the gravity of my situation has definitely clicked for me, and I know I need to work my ass off to get into a better school.

Maybe it's 20 minutes with EZ-pass at 3 AM, but regardless, that doesn't change the fact that for 99% of people in NYC, Newark is as real as Neverland. It's some place they've heard of that they would rather cut off their thumbs than step into. I wouldn't want to bet my future on convincing somebody who owns a duplex on Park Avenue that my connection to New York is spending 3 years in some town in Jersey that she's been avoiding on her yearly drive to the Jersey shore ever since her diamond ring got stolen at gunpoint in 1992.

donewithannarbor

New

Postby donewithannarbor » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:03 pm

If you want to practice in NYC, you can go ahead and take Maryland and NErn off your list. Too great of a reach there. You'd need to be at the very top off the class to get attention from what little NYC firms go there to recruit.

At your stage, just get your highest possible LSAT scores, apply to the NYC area schools (i'd call that everything from St. John's on one end to Rutgers on the other), and reassess. Obviously if you get an offer from NYU than your path becomes obvious. But if your GPA and such restricts you to the "50-100" ranked schools then you just need to sit down and do the cost:benefit taking into account tuition (you're right that Rutgers' in-state is very low, and you'll need to compare that to, say, Fordham, subtracted by any $$ they offer), and visit each school to talk to them and get a feel.

Rutgers Law is 20 minutes by one of three trains to NYC, so you are correct. People will bloviate about how terrible it is west of the Hudson and you really just need to disregard them and visit for yourself, do the transit for yourself, and consider it. I am in NYC now and practice and have an office in both NYC and Newark. I lived in Newark for 6 years and thought it perfectly fine. The area between the train and the law school is gentrifying, and the areas east of the train station have long been nice.

As to the more important question as to whether it's an NYC school; technically, no. Culturally, no, but that's not to say its without some strong connections, whether through alumni, faculty, extern opportunities etc., to NYC, and, most importantly for your purposes, it does track into NYC employment.

Return to “Choosing a Law School�