BC ($) vs. Cardozo (Full Ride)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Lizzy1215

BC ($) vs. Cardozo (Full Ride)

Postby Lizzy1215 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:10 pm

Hi All,

I'm an international student 2 years out of school. I worked at a bulge bracket bank for a year and took a year off to apply for law school. I'm looking to practice in cross-boarder business or banking regulation related areas. I understand that it will be extremely hard to get into big laws from either of these schools but big law will be my first choice.

I got $16k from BC and full scholarship from Cardozo. I took lsat twice and ended up with 162/3.43. I planned to attend BC but after reading the posts in this forum, I'm a little bit hesitated with my decision. Any comments or suggestions will be much appreciated.

joeyc328

Re: BC ($) vs. Cardozo (Full Ride)

Postby joeyc328 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:34 pm

Assuming you are taking out loans: Is 200k in debt worth a 79% chance of a job with a 38% chance of big law?

Also as far as Cardozo is concerned: Is living in NYC for 3 years (60k) in debt worth it for even worse odds of a job?

Baby Gaga

Postby Baby Gaga » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:41 pm

I'm also international and also aiming for BigLaw. I'm not sure what your visa situation is but you'd need biglaw for an H1B visa which is much more attainable from BC. The law degree isn't particularly portable either so I'd hesitate to pick Cardozo even on a full ride. If you have a green card then ignore everything I said

Shootin

Postby Shootin » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:12 pm

Baby Gaga wrote:I'm also international and also aiming for BigLaw. I'm not sure what your visa situation is but you'd need biglaw for an H1B visa which is much more attainable from BC. The law degree isn't particularly portable either so I'd hesitate to pick Cardozo even on a full ride. If you have a green card then ignore everything I said

If you have a green card then you are not an international student to begin with.

It might be more attainable from BC, but that still leaves OP saddled with debt and most likely a low paying job.

nealric

Postby nealric » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:58 pm

Lizzy1215 wrote:Hi All,

I'm an international student 2 years out of school. I worked at a bulge bracket bank for a year and took a year off to apply for law school. I'm looking to practice in cross-boarder business or banking regulation related areas. I understand that it will be extremely hard to get into big laws from either of these schools but big law will be my first choice.

I got $16k from BC and full scholarship from Cardozo. I took lsat twice and ended up with 162/3.43. I planned to attend BC but after reading the posts in this forum, I'm a little bit hesitated with my decision. Any comments or suggestions will be much appreciated.

Ratake the LSAT one more, with feeling. Study until your eyes bleed. Because your options give you a poor chance of getting the result you want.

Lizzy1215

Postby Lizzy1215 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:07 pm

Baby Gaga wrote:I'm also international and also aiming for BigLaw. I'm not sure what your visa situation is but you'd need biglaw for an H1B visa which is much more attainable from BC. The law degree isn't particularly portable either so I'd hesitate to pick Cardozo even on a full ride. If you have a green card then ignore everything I said

I don't have a green card, so need to do that H1B lottery thing again if I would like to work in the States.

Lizzy1215

Postby Lizzy1215 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:12 pm

joeyc328, Shootin and nealric

I'll consider retaking LSAT once more. Thanks for the suggestion.

Traynor Brah

Postby Traynor Brah » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:16 pm

joeyc328 wrote:Assuming you are taking out loans: Is 200k in debt worth a 79% chance of a job with a 38% chance of big law?

Also as far as Cardozo is concerned: Is living in NYC for 3 years (60k) in debt worth it for even worse odds of a job?

It will cost OP just a little bit more than 60K to live in NYC for three years

Jmart082

Postby Jmart082 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:20 pm

Traynor Brah wrote:
joeyc328 wrote:Assuming you are taking out loans: Is 200k in debt worth a 79% chance of a job with a 38% chance of big law?

It will cost OP just a little bit more than 60K to live in NYC for three years

Retake for better scholarship options. I think that Fordham with good money would be obtainable with even the slightest improvement.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”