delete Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
tjsltransferlaw

New

delete

Post by tjsltransferlaw » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:27 am

Last edited by tjsltransferlaw on Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Re: UC Hastings v. Loyola/Pepperdine

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:26 am

None of these schools have any pull outside of California, so that's an irrelevant question.

I'm not really familiar with the legal market in California, but having lived in the state for some time, NorCal and SoCal are separate beasts. If you want to work in OC, I'm betting Loyola will have better placement there, even though their employment numbers are a little lower than Hastings.

Also bear in mind that as a transfer, you're coming in a bit behind the students who started at these schools, especially given where you're transferring from (going by your screenname). So their overall employment statistics may not reflect your actual chances at OCI.

tjsltransferlaw

New

Post by tjsltransferlaw » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:39 pm

Any advice for someone in my situation? If i get accepted to Loyola, I will not be able to participate in OCI. At UC Hastings I was already able to submit my bids. If I am being realistic with myself, I won't be able to secure a position from OCI. What should I do outside of OCI to help secure employment for 2L?

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:42 pm

OP, sticker at these schools is not worth it. It's hard to get a job from these schools, nonetheless a paying job during 2L..

What are you career goals? Do you have a scholly at the school you're currently at?

tjsltransferlaw

New

Post by tjsltransferlaw » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:56 pm

TheMikey wrote:OP, sticker at these schools is not worth it. It's hard to get a job from these schools, nonetheless a paying job during 2L..

What are you career goals? Do you have a scholly at the school you're currently at?
I have a $35,000 scholarship from my current school. However, I attend a T4 with employment rates in the 20%.

As for career goals, I am not too sure to be honest. I was thinking something like a mid size law firm, but I am not sure what type of field I am interested it. I know I don't want to do criminal or public interest. My 3 month summer position is with a workers' compensation firm and I don't find it interesting either. I took an interest in Civil Procedure, so my professors recommended litigation, but don't all lawyers "litigate" to a certain extent?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SFSpartan

Silver

Post by SFSpartan » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:18 pm

tjsltransferlaw wrote:don't all lawyers "litigate" to a certain extent?
I'm not sure why the word litigate is in quotes, but no, all lawyers do not litigate. Corporate/transactional lawyers, for example, will likely never see the inside of a courtroom, nor will they do substantive litigation tasks such as brief writing, discovery, etc. Transactional folks do more risk management than anything else, as contracts are really about apportioning risk and liability. If that counts as litigating, then you are really attaching meaning to the word beyond the scope of it's definition.

Your substantive question can be answered in two parts. First, I would think long and hard about whether transferring makes financial sense for you, as you are unlikely to get a job that pays highly enough to justify the cost @ sticker. I say this because several of the transfers in my class at UCH had a tough time finding jobs - there is one transfer I know that got biglaw, but he also stretched his 2L and 3L years over a 3 year period, thus giving him 2 bites at OCI. Second, Pepperdine and Loyola are going to place better in OC because they are in or near SoCal. Hastings does well for the NorCal market, and reasonably well in SoCal, but I'd be shocked if it placed better down south than schools that were in or near greater LA.

Any other schools (i.e. Irvine) that you are waiting on transfer apps for? UCI would seem to make more sense for your particular circumstance.

tjsltransferlaw

New

Delete

Post by tjsltransferlaw » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:42 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”