Should I apply to NU ED?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
zeglo

Should I apply to NU ED?

Postby zeglo » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:31 pm

Last edited by zeglo on Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oidsedidy

Re: Should I apply to NU ED?

Postby oidsedidy » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:44 pm

zeglo wrote:Hi,

I am wondering if I am the right kind of applicant for Northwestern. 168/3.87 GPA and 1-2 years of work experience as a financial analyst at a big corporation.

I honestly like a lot of schools, especially the business-ey ones like NU, Penn, Chicago, etc. - not really sure where I should aim.

The NU ED full tuition program looks quite good. Thoughts? Or do you think I should not ED and just see where I land? I also am considering ED'ing Chicago.

I think it's a great idea- I honestly would be kind of shocked if anyone told you otherwise, given what you've said about yourself. Others may disagree, but given your numbers full-tuition at NU cannot be much worse (and I suspect will be far superior if you snag it) than the options you might miss out on by ED.

cavalier1138

Postby cavalier1138 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:46 pm

If you're considering ED, then Northwestern should be the only school where you're thinking about doing it. ED anywhere else almost guarantees no money. That said, you have a good shot at money from the lower T14 in the regular cycle. But if you think Northwestern is your absolute top choice, there's no reason to not ED there.

Also, small caveat: Northwestern's ED is $150k. So it's really close to full tuition, but it's not actually full tuition.

pittsburghpirates

Postby pittsburghpirates » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:49 pm

Agree with cavalier. Defintely do not ED UChicago. EDing NU isn't a bad idea since it comes with the $150K scholarship (not quite full tuition just so you know), but with your numbers I think you will likely do very well in the lower T14. Personally if I were in your shoes I would value the opportunity to choose and negotiate and wouldn't want to lock myself in. Retaking for a few extra LSAT points will only solidify your options too and open up a few more as well

Edit: this is assuming you are not dead set on being in Chicago or that NU isn't your #1. If either of those are true, I think EDing NU is the way to go for you

zeglo

Postby zeglo » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:56 pm

pittsburghpirates

Postby pittsburghpirates » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:03 pm

zeglo wrote:And I am assuming NU is pretty prestigious even though it's "only" #12?

Don't worry about "prestige," worry about its ability to get you the job you want. NU has great BigLaw placement, especially in Chicago, and that's what should matter

zeglo

Postby zeglo » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:08 pm

NUDad

Postby NUDad » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:12 pm

You should have decent chances at the NU ED scholarship with your numbers. If you're happy living/working in Chicago the next few years then it's an excellent choice.

NUDad

Postby NUDad » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:16 pm

zeglo wrote:
What do you think are the best schools for biglaw that would be a reasonable admissions process for me? From what I've seen, NU may be the highest ranking one I could get into with some money. Penn, Columbia, etc. I am not so sure would give me much. NYU, Duke and Cornell are all good, but it seems like NU employs just as well as they do.

You're not likely to get anything close to $150K from NYU, Duke, Cornell, Penn or Columbia.

pittsburghpirates

Postby pittsburghpirates » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:19 pm

zeglo wrote:
pittsburghpirates wrote:
zeglo wrote:And I am assuming NU is pretty prestigious even though it's "only" #12?

Don't worry about "prestige," worry about its ability to get you the job you want. NU has great BigLaw placement, especially in Chicago, and that's what should matter

Okay, true, that's what I meant :D .

What do you think are the best schools for biglaw that would be a reasonable admissions process for me? From what I've seen, NU may be the highest ranking one I could get into with some money. Penn, Columbia, etc. I am not so sure would give me much. NYU, Duke and Cornell are all good, but it seems like NU employs just as well as they do.

Beyond myLSN, I can't really offer much advice because I'm just a 0L. But there's others around these fora who have gone through OCI/hiring and can probably speak to the differences between these schools in terms of placement power, etc.

I'd just apply broadly to the T14 and see where the chips fall. Is a retake definitely out? A few more points could do wonders for your chances and $$ at some schools

oidsedidy

Postby oidsedidy » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:21 pm

pittsburghpirates wrote:

This is crucial- one day you will be surprised to see where partners, judges, etc. went to school- not everyone who is successful went to a good school. If you were worried that John Marshall wouldn't be "prestigious" enough then I wouldn't blame you- although again, prestige is not the issue, but rather employment outcomes. Anyone who would not take you seriously because you "only" went to NU is an idiot.

zeglo

Postby zeglo » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:22 pm

Last edited by zeglo on Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.

zeglo

Postby zeglo » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:22 pm

Last edited by zeglo on Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oidsedidy

Postby oidsedidy » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:25 pm

zeglo wrote:
pittsburghpirates wrote:

Okay, true, that's what I meant :D .

You might get some money from Michigan, fwiw. That said, it wouldn't be 150k, and despite the difference in rank I don't think- someone correct me if I'm wrong- there is any real perceived difference between NU and Michigan in Biglaw- at least not enough to leave $$$ at NU for $ at Michigan.

mukol

Postby mukol » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:29 pm

Sure, if you want to go to NU.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”