Class Giving Rate & Student Satisfaction

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Pomeranian

Bronze

Class Giving Rate & Student Satisfaction

Postby Pomeranian » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:04 pm

So I was bored and was scrolling through a friend's Instagram feed. I LOL'ed when I came across a picture of his law school graduating class "Student Giving Campaign" check they presented at his 2015 graduation ceremony. It had a 14% participation rate, which is around half its big law+fed clerk percentage. Am I reading too much into this, or is a red flag that something is amiss at the law school w/ a participation rate this low? According to the school's website, the class giving participation goal is/was 40%. :lol:

Granted, this school is located in a high COL city and is not known for being too generous w/ scholarship aid.

ETA: Woof!
Last edited by Pomeranian on Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:25 pm, edited 16 times in total.

sublime

Diamond

Re: Class Giving Rate & Student Satisfaction

Postby sublime » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:07 pm

Yes, you are reading too much into it.

One year, my school would give us a free t shirt to donate a dollar to make the rates look higher.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Postby kellyfrost » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:21 pm

Pomeranian wrote:So I was bored and was scrolling through a friend's Instagram feed. I LOL'ed when I came across a picture of his law school graduating class "Student Giving Campaign" check they presented at his 2015 graduation ceremony. It had a 14% participation rate, which is around half its big law+fed clerk percentage. Am I reading too much into this, or is a red flag that something is amiss at the law school w/ a participation rate this low? According to the school's website, the class giving participation goal is/was 40%. :lol:

Granted, this school is located in a high COL city and is not known for being too generous w/ scholarship aid.

Why was your post edited 7 times?
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pomeranian

Bronze

Postby Pomeranian » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:22 pm

kellyfrost wrote:
Pomeranian wrote:So I was bored and was scrolling through a friend's Instagram feed. I LOL'ed when I came across a picture of his law school graduating class "Student Giving Campaign" check they presented at his 2015 graduation ceremony. It had a 14% participation rate, which is around half its big law+fed clerk percentage. Am I reading too much into this, or is a red flag that something is amiss at the law school w/ a participation rate this low? According to the school's website, the class giving participation goal is/was 40%. :lol:

Why was your post edited 7 times?

One time was to add the emoji :lol:

WhyYaCryin

New

Postby WhyYaCryin » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:23 pm

Last edited by WhyYaCryin on Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pomeranian

Bronze

Postby Pomeranian » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:26 pm

WhyYaCryin wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:Why was your post edited 7 times?

16 times ;)

WhyYaCryin

New

Postby WhyYaCryin » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:27 pm

I was going to make my reply with 7 edits in it as well. But your reposting skills are much better than mine pom.

bmathers

Silver

Postby bmathers » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:17 pm

Is this what I think it is? Why in the world would a school expect poor LS kids to give more than their tuition to a school, when living off loans in the first place?? That can't be what this % is for, can it?

KissMyAxe

Bronze

Postby KissMyAxe » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:39 pm

sublime wrote:Yes, you are reading too much into it.

One year, my school would give us a free t shirt to donate a dollar to make the rates look higher.

LOL, that sounds so much like WUSTTTL thing to do.

But my undergrad can beat that. They gave every graduating senior two dollars, and asked them to give one of them back, so we had a 100% giving rate.

heythatslife

Silver

Postby heythatslife » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:24 am

lol seriously who has money lying around to donate to law school when they're about to graduate with 6 figure debt - especially those 70% who failed to make biglaw/A3 clerkship and will need to repay their loans over 10+ years

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:25 am

It's a law school, not your adopted family. There's no reason to give them money.

Wild Card

Bronze

Postby Wild Card » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:40 pm

KissMyAxe wrote:
sublime wrote:Yes, you are reading too much into it.

LOL, that sounds so much like WUSTTTL thing to do.

But my undergrad can beat that. They gave every graduating senior two dollars, and asked them to give one of them back, so we had a 100% giving rate.

Didn't WUSTL UG send students envelopes pre-stamped and sealed with dollar bills to raise its USNWR rank? So presTTTigious!

I will never donate to my LS because they low-balled me w/r/t financial aid.

Return to “Choosing a Law School�