umass vs john marshall

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

where should i attend

umass
33%
john marshall
67%

Total votes: 3

john1990

Silver

umass vs john marshall

Postby john1990 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:10 pm

I got 23k at john marshall - atlanta and my scholarship offer is pending until tomorrow at umass. I am leaning towards john marshall because i prefer a big city and i wanted to live in atlanta growing up as a kid

bmathers

Silver

Re: umass vs john marshall

Postby bmathers » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:54 pm

Umassd? Withdrawal, hold off a cycle, and retake your LSAT. That is what I did and it was a great decision. Your employment outcomes from those schools are lousy, especially to be paying money for those outcomes.

psu2016

Bronze

Postby psu2016 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:04 pm

john1990 wrote:I got 23k at john marshall - atlanta and my scholarship offer is pending until tomorrow at umass. I am leaning towards john marshall because i prefer a big city and i wanted to live in atlanta growing up as a kid

I wanted to live on the moon growing up as a kid.

bmathers

Silver

Postby bmathers » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:30 pm

john1990 wrote:I got 23k at john marshall - atlanta and my scholarship offer is pending until tomorrow at umass. I am leaning towards john marshall because i prefer a big city and i wanted to live in atlanta growing up as a kid

Retake and go to Georgia State w/ some money if you are set on Atlanta (and living in the area after graduation)

For Massachusetts, there is BC/BU, or even Suffolk has ok placement for a T3 in the immediate area, with a ship though (preferably a full-ride. COL isn't cheap on Boston)..

bmathers

Silver

Postby bmathers » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:06 pm

Oh, wow, I was just looking and didn't realize that UMass (not Umassd) had a law school. It does not appear to be ABA accredited and the bar passage rate is abysmal (43%). Do not, under any circumstances, attend this law school. Unfortunately, I do not believe that other school is an adequate option either. Retake, please.

sublime

Diamond

Postby sublime » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:22 pm

You have attended and dropped out of 3 law schools. It is time to give it up. It's possible you can't even pass the C and F.

Pilloriedbrain

New

Postby Pilloriedbrain » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:54 am

bmathers wrote:Oh, wow, I was just looking and didn't realize that UMass (not Umassd) had a law school. It does not appear to be ABA accredited and the bar passage rate is abysmal (43%). Do not, under any circumstances, attend this law school. Unfortunately, I do not believe that other school is an adequate option either. Retake, please.

https://www.umassd.edu/media/umassdartm ... ifteen.pdf

Bar pass is 65%. It's provisionally accredited. I believe. It's a public interest school. And only state school in mass. And they offer a joint degree in JD/MPP. Or JD/MBA. which is easy for them because University of Mass is a distinguished school. Also the quality students they've been admitting is a steady uptrend, 2011 m=144 now 2016 m=148, which makes it interesting while so many schools are receiving worse and worse students. Perhaps their bar percent will rise substantially.

joeyc328

Bronze

Postby joeyc328 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:33 am

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:37 am

Pilloriedbrain wrote:
bmathers wrote:Oh, wow, I was just looking and didn't realize that UMass (not Umassd) had a law school. It does not appear to be ABA accredited and the bar passage rate is abysmal (43%). Do not, under any circumstances, attend this law school. Unfortunately, I do not believe that other school is an adequate option either. Retake, please.

Bar pass is 65%. It's provisionally accredited. I believe. It's a public interest school. And only state school in mass. And they offer a joint degree in JD/MPP. Or JD/MBA. which is easy for them because University of Mass is a distinguished school. Also the quality students they've been admitting is a steady uptrend, 2011 m=144 now 2016 m=148, which makes it interesting while so many schools are receiving worse and worse students. Perhaps their bar percent will rise substantially.

First of all, the OP isn't even talking about UMass-Dartmouth. They're just talking about UMass (yes, that's apparently a thing).

But is there some sort of Bizarro Massachusetts where UMass is a distinguished school? And some sort of Bizarro America where a median LSAT of 148 indicates that the school is only admitting "quality students"?

bmathers

Silver

Postby bmathers » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:10 pm

Pilloriedbrain wrote:

The thing is, the"worse students" legitimate law schools are referring to, are still superior to the "better" students UMass may be getting.

And yes he is not referring to umassd, but actually umass

nealric

Postby nealric » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:08 pm

Pilloriedbrain wrote:

A 65% pass rate in passachusetts is nothing to be proud of.

Aristogeiton1

New

Postby Aristogeiton1 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:12 pm

UMass School of Law is hemorraging like a miscarriage in 15th century Scotland.
If this really is your third time, perhaps it is time to take down the Notorious RBG posters, and think about a different career.
If not, 6 months min. hardcore studying + volunteering + publish a paper + Peace Corps or something + apply to T2 schools.
What's your uGPA?

HonestAdvice

Bronze

Postby HonestAdvice » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:15 pm

Pilloriedbrain wrote:

Bar passage has very little to do with the quality of a school. It's been shown that teaching to the bar from day one gives students a dramatic advantage on the bar exam as compared to similarly situated students who aren't taught to the bar. And yet schools that force students to learn everything in 3 months have a passage rate twice as high as schools who give 3 years of bar prep.

Nobody will openly admit it, but bar passage rates are student quality and predictable before law school starts. Most people failing aren't failing because their schools suck. They're failing because they're not smart enough. That doesn't mean they can't be good at something else, but the schools knew they would fail the bar. When accredited schools give applicants with a sub-140 LSAT a chance to take a course to prove they can handle law school, they aren't doing it to "see what the applicant is made of" or see if "the LSAT didn't accurately represent their capabilities". They're doing it so that when the applicant inevitable fails the bar 3 years later, the ABA won't think they were using their accreditation to collect $200k from people they knew would never pass the bar.

Return to “Choosing a Law School�