CUNY good enough? Or get a higher LSAT? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Pilloriedbrain

New

CUNY good enough? Or get a higher LSAT?

Post by Pilloriedbrain » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:59 pm

So cuny is dragging their feet, and a little while ago I was certain I would not be accepted, but they've dragged on so long, I suspect they are waiting to match me up to other applicants. Which I have no Idea who all the way into July. That said, should I go there or try for a higher LSAT and a higher rank school?

SFSpartan

Silver

Re: CUNY good enough? Or get a higher LSAT?

Post by SFSpartan » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:19 pm

Retake for a higher LSAT score. Given its employment #s, CUNY probably isn't worth it even if it's free.

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:07 am

CUNY has pretty bad employment prospects. What are your goals and numbers?

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:09 am

Pilloriedbrain wrote:So cuny is dragging their feet, and a little while ago I was certain I would not be accepted, but they've dragged on so long, I suspect they are waiting to match me up to other applicants. Which I have no Idea who all the way into July. That said, should I go there or try for a higher LSAT and a higher rank school?
Don't go to law school this cycle. Study for the LSAT and retake. Aim for at least 165

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:27 am

The only thing good about CUNY is their cheap tuition, but even then with a full ride it's not worth it. Retake and try to go somewhere better.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:03 am

TheMikey wrote:The only thing good about CUNY is their cheap tuition, but even then with a full ride it's not worth it. Retake and try to go somewhere better.

Don't know anyone personally, but I know a friend's brother went there and immediately regretted his decision. The only way I'd say to go there is if you were just getting your jD to advance in your job and get a pay raise. Then going for free may be a decent choice. Otherwise, retake and reapply.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:11 am

Barack O'Drama wrote:
TheMikey wrote:The only thing good about CUNY is their cheap tuition, but even then with a full ride it's not worth it. Retake and try to go somewhere better.

Don't know anyone personally, but I know a friend's brother went there and immediately regretted his decision. The only way I'd say to go there is if you were just getting your jD to advance in your job and get a pay raise. Then going for free may be a decent choice. Otherwise, retake and reapply.
Yeah if someone wants PI and is dead set on it and ends up going to cuny and doing well, then it's worth it. But as we all know there's no guarantee of doing exceptional in law school so it's better to not risk shit like that. There was a thread where a cuny student wrote something like you just did. In which most of her class didn't even get jobs as an attorney, that they were there to advance in their career in a different area or something

Pilloriedbrain

New

Post by Pilloriedbrain » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:53 pm

Dcc617 wrote:CUNY has pretty bad employment prospects. What are your goals and numbers?
I am a public interest passion-driven type. I had an interest in mental health law at the administrative level, and I was very interested in international law for mental health. Thought I could work for Unicef, or something of the sort. I'm probably likely to do better on the lsat, after I have been reading diligently everyday since the test. At least I am confident I could score much better. I got a 149 btw. I am just below the 25 percentile at Cuny. But I think they like me because I am a good fit for their learning miliue. Debt scares me. Perhaps, I get a much higher LSAT, and attend for half to free.

RoryC

New

Post by RoryC » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:31 pm

They don't do much in terms of scholarship except for a few full scholarships and maybe 12 smaller ones - but tuition is so cheap that it might still end up being a pretty good deal.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:10 am

Pilloriedbrain wrote:
Dcc617 wrote:CUNY has pretty bad employment prospects. What are your goals and numbers?
I am a public interest passion-driven type. I had an interest in mental health law at the administrative level, and I was very interested in international law for mental health. Thought I could work for Unicef, or something of the sort. I'm probably likely to do better on the lsat, after I have been reading diligently everyday since the test. At least I am confident I could score much better. I got a 149 btw. I am just below the 25 percentile at Cuny. But I think they like me because I am a good fit for their learning miliue. Debt scares me. Perhaps, I get a much higher LSAT, and attend for half to free.
I pointed this out in your other thread, but you really need to do more investigative work on your career track before you throw $100k+ at a school. International law (of any stripe) doesn't happen from CUNY or any of the other schools you've posted threads about. It's a highly competitive field, even if you're coming out of HYSCCN.

The type of PI that CUNY gets people placed in (and I have heard that they are oddly good at getting people placed in decent PI) is New York-based local PI organizations, not the ACLU, Unicef, etc. It seems like you're in a position where you either need to change your goals or change your LSAT score, because right now they're not matching up.

joeyc328

Bronze

Post by joeyc328 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:18 am

Is 200k in debt worth a 64% chance of a 50k/year job?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:25 am

joeyc328 wrote:Is 200k in debt worth a 64% chance of a 50k/year job?
Actually, CUNY's tuition is insanely low. The OP would likely be looking at closer to $100k total debt, even if they were paying sticker. And with PSLF, they just have to be on the IBR/PAYE program for 10 years to get that loan forgiven.

That said, CUNY still doesn't help them reach their current career goals.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”