Is this data available?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
WeightliftingThinker

Is this data available?

Postby WeightliftingThinker » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:08 pm

Where can I find info about the percentage of out of state students who are accepted by law schools?

For example, what percentage of Stanford Law students are from outside CA?

cavalier1138

Re: Is this data available?

Postby cavalier1138 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:40 pm

I feel like that's fairly irrelevant for a school like Stanford. Some lower-ranked state schools might list that information on their sites under entering class profiles.

WeightliftingThinker

Postby WeightliftingThinker » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:57 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:I feel like that's fairly irrelevant for a school like Stanford. Some lower-ranked state schools might list that information on their sites under entering class profiles.

Do schools like Stanford have limits on what percentage come from location X?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:14 pm

It only matters for public schools, not private like Stanford, because private schools aren't getting funded by the state so don't have to worry about in-state/out-of-state restrictions (and even for state schools it doesn't matter very much. I have some vague impression that Virginia and Texas may have some kind of quota/cap on in-state, but I don't think it advantages/disadvantages you enough to worry about).

So no, Stanford doesn't have any strict limits on where anyone is from. I would be surprised if their adcomms chose to fill an entire class with Californians (or New Yorkers or any one state), but it's not something you need to worry about.

bmathers

Postby bmathers » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:24 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:It only matters for public schools, not private like Stanford, because private schools aren't getting funded by the state so don't have to worry about in-state/out-of-state restrictions (and even for state schools it doesn't matter very much. I have some vague impression that Virginia and Texas may have some kind of quota/cap on in-state, but I don't think it advantages/disadvantages you enough to worry about).

So no, Stanford doesn't have any strict limits on where anyone is from. I would be surprised if their adcomms chose to fill an entire class with Californians (or New Yorkers or any one state), but it's not something you need to worry about.

UNC has a restriction too, I've heard that 75% of their incoming JD class has to have NC residency, or something crazy like that... in other words, it is infinitely harder to get into UNC from out-of-state than in-state.

WeightliftingThinker

Postby WeightliftingThinker » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:26 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:It only matters for public schools, not private like Stanford, because private schools aren't getting funded by the state so don't have to worry about in-state/out-of-state restrictions (and even for state schools it doesn't matter very much. I have some vague impression that Virginia and Texas may have some kind of quota/cap on in-state, but I don't think it advantages/disadvantages you enough to worry about).

Do in state applicants have an advantage over out of state ones?

In other words, do law schools display a favoritism for people who are from within the state?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:33 pm

WeightliftingThinker wrote:

Do in state applicants have an advantage over out of state ones?

In other words, do law schools display a favoritism for people who are from within the state?

Unless you're a school like UNC (and maybe Texas and Virginia if I'm remembering correctly), not particularly. It will depend entirely on the school, the state, their application pool, and what else you bring to the table. If you're wondering whether being in-state will help you get in somewhere where your numbers aren't competitive, the answer's going to be no. If you're wondering whether you'll have a harder time getting into Stanford because you're not from California, the answer's also no.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”