Got accepted into Fordham then +6 points on June LSAT. What should I do?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bagelofthedamnd

New

Got accepted into Fordham then +6 points on June LSAT. What should I do?

Postby bagelofthedamnd » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:41 pm

I’m having a tough time making a weird admissions decision. Please help.

I’ve been applying to law schools over the last few months and got accepted to Fordham for the fall. I had underperformed on my LSAT so I took the one in June and raised my score from a 162 to a 168 (3rd try). That was great, but now it’s giving me a new headache.
I now have 3 choices:

1) I can go to Fordham in the fall. They boosted my scholarship after the new score and now I’ll only have to pay $10k/year for tuition as long as I’m in good standing. They’re not the best ranked, but they have good results in Big Law.

2) Turns out I can ask schools to reconsider my application. That means I have a chance to get into some higher ranked schools for the Fall, namely UPenn, UVA, Georgetown, and Duke. But that’s only if they have spots open, and hopefully have money left over. The trouble with this one is that UPenn will only start looking at reconsiderations a few days after I’m supposed to confirm with Fordham that I am attending, and the other schools are probably doing the same thing unofficially.

3) Third choice is to decline Fordham and re-apply for next year. I lose a year, but I’m confident I can now get into a T-14. I’d be in the 75th percentile LSAT for Cornell.

Do you guys have any thoughts or advice? I’m in my mid-twenties and looking for a job in corporate law or IP.

Thanks for the help!

Gold

Re: Got accepted into Fordham then +6 points on June LSAT. What should I do?

Postby 20170322 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:43 pm

bagelofthedamnd wrote:I’m having a tough time making a weird admissions decision. Please help.

I’ve been applying to law schools over the last few months and got accepted to Fordham for the fall. I had underperformed on my LSAT so I took the one in June and raised my score from a 162 to a 168 (3rd try). That was great, but now it’s giving me a new headache.
I now have 3 choices:

1) I can go to Fordham in the fall. They boosted my scholarship after the new score and now I’ll only have to pay $10k/year for tuition as long as I’m in good standing. They’re not the best ranked, but they have good results in Big Law.

2) Turns out I can ask schools to reconsider my application. That means I have a chance to get into some higher ranked schools for the Fall, namely UPenn, UVA, Georgetown, and Duke. But that’s only if they have spots open, and hopefully have money left over. The trouble with this one is that UPenn will only start looking at reconsiderations a few days after I’m supposed to confirm with Fordham that I am attending, and the other schools are probably doing the same thing unofficially.

3) Third choice is to decline Fordham and re-apply for next year. I lose a year, but I’m confident I can now get into a T-14. I’d be in the 75th percentile LSAT for Cornell.

Do you guys have any thoughts or advice? I’m in my mid-twenties and looking for a job in corporate law or IP.

Thanks for the help!

The third option seems like the objectively best option. Congrats on your score!

jfiaff

New

Postby jfiaff » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:48 pm

bagelofthedamnd wrote:Turns out I can ask schools to reconsider my application.

Never heard of this but I'm interested to hear if other people have done it.

Nachoo2019

Silver

Postby Nachoo2019 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:49 pm

Option 3

KunAgnis

Bronze

Postby KunAgnis » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:50 pm

Im guessing your GPA is decent? Because if it is, I would think reapplying next cycle would be well worth the effort.

bagelofthedamnd

New

Postby bagelofthedamnd » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:51 pm

jfiaff wrote:
bagelofthedamnd wrote:Turns out I can ask schools to reconsider my application.

Never heard of this but I'm interested to hear if other people have done it.

Called one school just to check on the possibility. They said they'd do it, and so did the next 4 schools. They said I needed to email them asking for 'a formal re-consideration of my file.'

Johann

Diamond

Postby Johann » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:52 pm

bagelofthedamnd wrote:I’m having a tough time making a weird admissions decision. Please help.

I now have 3 choices:

Thanks for the help!

Only really done in biglaw, so you need to max those chances, which means sit a year out and reapply. Given that goal, Cornell at full debt in a worst case scenario is better than a free Fordham.

bagelofthedamnd

New

Postby bagelofthedamnd » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:53 pm

KunAgnis wrote:Im guessing your GPA is decent? Because if it is, I would think reapplying next cycle would be well worth the effort.

GPA is 3.65, but I took a LOT of classes. One year away from a second BA for another guy.

Nachoo2019

Silver

Postby Nachoo2019 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:54 pm

bagelofthedamnd wrote:
KunAgnis wrote:Im guessing your GPA is decent? Because if it is, I would think reapplying next cycle would be well worth the effort.

GPA is 3.65, but I took a LOT of classes. One year away from a second BA for another guy.

3.65 and above cornells 75th LSAT. You HAVE to sit out and reapply. You'll likely be getting money from Cornell and with your goals NYC/SV big law is where you need to be

emkay625

Gold

Postby emkay625 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:57 pm

Decline Fordham but simultaneously ask other schools to reconsider your app. If you don't get the result you want from the reconsiderations, apply next cycle on the day apps open.

grades??

Silver

Postby grades?? » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:01 pm

I asked schools to reconsider. It was just about this time last year I went from completely denied out of the top 10 to into the top 10 with $$$$$$. And I didn't have to wait and reapply. ASK ASK ASK ASK.

Nachoo2019

Silver

Postby Nachoo2019 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:05 pm

grades?? wrote:I asked schools to reconsider. It was just about this time last year I went from completely denied out of the top 10 to into the top 10 with $$$$$$. And I didn't have to wait and reapply. ASK ASK ASK ASK.

This! There may be aT14 that just lost a committed student or they're flat out short on their LSAT medians and they absolutely need your LSAT score for their coveted median. If your LSAT gets them the median they need then they'll throw big money at you to get you.

If not reapply for the T14 $$. Either way it's a win win

grades??

Silver

Postby grades?? » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:08 pm

Nachoo2019 wrote:
grades?? wrote:I asked schools to reconsider. It was just about this time last year I went from completely denied out of the top 10 to into the top 10 with $$$$$$. And I didn't have to wait and reapply. ASK ASK ASK ASK.

This! There may be aT14 that just lost a committed student or they're flat out short on their LSAT medians and they absolutely need your LSAT score for their coveted median. If your LSAT gets them the median they need then they'll throw big money at you to get you.

Exactly. If I didn't get the money I thought would be good, then I would have just reapplied. But I didn't have to. So ASK ASK ASK ASK ASK

jfiaff

New

Postby jfiaff » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:10 pm

grades?? wrote:
Nachoo2019 wrote:

Exactly. If I didn't get the money I thought would be good, then I would have just reapplied. But I didn't have to. So ASK ASK ASK ASK ASK

Did you just send a normal email asking them to reconsider or did you attach a formal letter like a LOCI?

grades??

Silver

Postby grades?? » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:13 pm

I said something along the lines of "Asking for reconsideration in light of my new Xth Percentile LSAT score." Thank you.

2 t14 schools called me back within 20 minutes.

Edit: so it was a simple email right to the dean of admissions at each school

Nachoo2019

Silver

Postby Nachoo2019 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:15 pm

grades?? wrote:I said something along the lines of "Asking for reconsideration in light of my new Xth Percentile LSAT score." Thank you.

Breif and to the point will be your best bet here. Like 3-4 sentences and make sure it goes to the dean of admissions. If they need you they'll contact you right away.

Some HYS/CCN waitlist movement could go a long way for you here lol!

E: oops quoted the wrong poster... And scooped

bagelofthedamnd

New

Postby bagelofthedamnd » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:40 pm

Nachoo2019 wrote:
grades?? wrote:I said something along the lines of "Asking for reconsideration in light of my new Xth Percentile LSAT score." Thank you.

Breif and to the point will be your best bet here. Like 3-4 sentences and make sure it goes to the dean of admissions. If they need you they'll contact you right away.

I sent emails a few days ago, but not to the deans. I sent them to the address the person on the phone gave me, which was the general admissions inbox. Should I send another one?

grades??

Silver

Postby grades?? » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:43 pm

bagelofthedamnd wrote:
Nachoo2019 wrote:

I sent emails a few days ago, but not to the deans. I sent them to the address the person on the phone gave me, which was the general admissions inbox. Should I send another one?

Yes right to the admissions dean's emails, not the general admission ones

Nachoo2019

Silver

Postby Nachoo2019 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:44 pm

bagelofthedamnd wrote:
Nachoo2019 wrote:

I feel like those inboxes get so flooded that the emails don't even get read, but that's just my speculation. I would personally send the dean a follow up to "make sure they received the request" but that's just me

cybersoyuz

New

Postby cybersoyuz » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:06 am

I now have 3 choices:

Thanks for the help!

Hi! I'm totally in the same situation as you. After I got the June score, I heard back from a couple of schools where I was previously waitlisted. Still no acceptance from any of them but I think Fordham with a $45K scholarship is a fair deal and I will attend Fordham if there are no other alternatives.

As for the reconsideration process, I believe the schools are handling it in a totally arbitrary way, there is no standardized policy. I sent mails to a couple of them, so far Berkeley rejected to reconsider the application, Stanford said that they won't consider the June score or any new application material (they pretty much meant fuck off), I believe Columbia is going to reply in a similar fashion. The prospects of reconsideration are not as high as some suggested but I think it is worth to give it a shot.

drive4showLSAT4dough

Bronze

Postby drive4showLSAT4dough » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:05 am

cybersoyuz wrote:

I now have 3 choices:

Thanks for the help!

Hi! I'm totally in the same situation as you. After I got the June score, I heard back from a couple of schools where I was previously waitlisted. Still no acceptance from any of them but I think Fordham with a $45K scholarship is a fair deal and I will attend Fordham if there are no other alternatives.

As for the reconsideration process, I believe the schools are handling it in a totally arbitrary way, there is no standardized policy. I sent mails to a couple of them, so far Berkeley rejected to reconsider the application, Stanford said that they won't consider the June score or any new application material (they pretty much meant fuck off), I believe Columbia is going to reply in a similar fashion. The prospects of reconsideration are not as high as some suggested but I think it is worth to give it a shot.

Re: the bolded.

1. The only fair deal for you is getting into the school with the best employment prospects at the lowest cost. Anything else is cheating yourself. You are making career-altering decisions here. Don't settle. Give yourself the best shot at the type of job you want, location you want, and minimal debt. If that means sitting out an extra year, worth it. (Speaking from experience, here)

2. Admissions offices are not arbitrary--they are quite predictable. They care about 3 things: (1) incoming class LSAT percentiles; (2) incoming class GPA percentiles; and (3) not overcommitting money or seats. The decisions they make are 100% dictated by those 3 factors. They want you for 2 of those 3 reasons. But, at any given moment, they may be apprehensive about Factor #3. Be persistent. Cornell may be holding off on a Monday, but by Friday, when they lost 5 kids to NYU, you will look like a golden goose to them. And if reconsideration doesn't work out, see above. Reapplying at the beginning of the cycle minimizes Factor 3.

barkschool

Silver

Postby barkschool » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:07 am

Nachoo2019 wrote:
bagelofthedamnd wrote:

3.65 and above cornells 75th LSAT. You HAVE to sit out and reapply. You'll likely be getting money from Cornell and with your goals NYC/SV big law is where you need to be

Best advice.

You could dramatically change the course of your life by hanging out for less than a year

TLSwag

Bronze

Postby TLSwag » Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:55 pm

OP - I was in a very similar position - got accepted to Fordham, raised June LSAT, received max scholarship and then got G to reconsider and accept me. actually ended up negotiating a scholarship there. best decision of my life was retaking (thanks to TLS). I'm glad I saw this (I rarely post anymore and in biglaw now - use this for legal employment forum browsing - but happened to notice this on the home page). Feel free to PM or respond back w any questions or if you want more details.

Edit: but I am in no way advising you against the posters above or suggesting you shouldn't reapply and sit a year out for your best options. But it could work out for this year with only marginal differences depending on availability. im just saying don't go to Fordham

Edit 2: read the above more closely. Should also add in that I was a splitter, so maybe you should wait a year. But at least see what options are like for reconsideration, worth it IMO and don't be afraid to ask for merit aid, even though it's so late. PM me if u want me to dig up emails on how I asked this stuff
Last edited by TLSwag on Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pomeranian

Bronze

Postby Pomeranian » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:09 pm

I would sit out and reapply.

NUDad

New

Postby NUDad » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:06 pm

Don't go to Fordham with your improved LSAT score. Reapply next year and you will be in T14, most likely with some money, and your career prospects are much better. Definitely worth a one year wait.

Return to “Choosing a Law School?