Penn State Law @ University Park

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bmathers

Penn State Law @ University Park

Postby bmathers » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:06 am

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge with this LS (not Dickinson/Carlisle)? I went to PSU for undergrad, and loved it, but the remote setting (compared to a big city) seems like it could be a major hurdle and inconvenience when it comes to summer internships?

Also, the law school at UP is only a few years old, but does have some backing from Dickinson. I'm wondering how significant that backing is for alumni and networking? Being such a young campus, I'm not sure what the alumni base would be like (vs. PSU undergrad has the largest alumni base in the country).

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with this particular LS campus?

Leagles5161

Re: Penn State Law @ University Park

Postby Leagles5161 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:17 am

But do they have a lazy river?

bmathers

Postby bmathers » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:07 pm

Leagles5161 wrote:But do they have a lazy river?

Unfortunately no, but by the rec building they do have a new, state-of-the-art gym (at least, it was all fairly new when I was a student). It isn't quite as nice as Akron's rec center, but it could suffice ;-) Oh yeah, and they do have a structure that holds 110K people

Nachoo2019

Postby Nachoo2019 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:14 pm

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=256864&p=9306879&hilit=Penn+state+vs#p9306879

This thread has some information on the differences. Also the user PSU2016 was a student of the combined school so I would definitely listen to his comments on the differences.

The UP campus only has like one year of alums. Dickinson has been around since the 1800s and I've heard the alumni resent Penn State for the way the bought and split off from Dickinson.

Either way. Don't go to either of these schools without a big scholarship. I'm an 0L getting ready to go to Dickinson, but it lines up with my goals, where i would like to practice, and it's free(parents are paying COL). This decision is the right one for me, but it may not be the right one for you.

What would you like to do with your law degree?

bmathers

Postby bmathers » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:19 pm

I went to PSU UP undergrad, graduated in 2010. I am looking at schools that place well in cities within a 5 hr drive of central PA. That includes Pittsburgh, Columbus, NYC, Philly, DC, Baltimore, Harrisburg, New Jersey... and may stretch to the Providence/RI area.

Currently have a 158 LSAT (retaking in September, with a goal of 160+) and a 3.33 UGPA (that's not changing). I'm currently debt-free (minus a car payment that I am 2 years ahead on, will be paid off shortly) and pretty debt-averse.

Right now, on my radar are: PSU (both, but hesitant about UP campus), Nova (gave out over 130 full rides last year), Temple, Pitt, Drexel, Duquesne (full-ride only), UMD (in Baltimore), maybe UTK, Cinci (was offered a 50% ship by them last cycle), Akron (full-ride last cycle). If I get my LSAT up into the 160s, Richmond is a possibility. Staying away from DC schools due to high COL.

Do you have any other school suggestions for me? Thanks

PS - I can probably pay $20-30k out-of-pocket per year for COL, to avoid loans.

psu2016

Postby psu2016 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:09 pm

bmathers wrote:I'm wondering how significant that backing is for alumni and networking? Being such a young campus, I'm not sure what the alumni base would be like (vs. PSU undergrad has the largest alumni base in the country).

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with this particular LS campus?

The alumni network from either campus is lackluster at best, with a small advantage to the Carlisle campus because it's been around longer and all of the senior attorneys graduated from Carlisle before UP was even built. Most Penn State (undergrad) alums I've met in bars/casual conversation have no idea there even is a law school, UP or otherwise, so I would ignore everything they tell you about how great the alumni network is. For undergrad, maybe it's true, but definitely not law school.

nick417

Postby nick417 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:35 pm

bmathers wrote:I went to PSU UP undergrad, graduated in 2010. I am looking at schools that place well in cities within a 5 hr drive of central PA. That includes Pittsburgh, Columbus, NYC, Philly, DC, Baltimore, Harrisburg, New Jersey... and may stretch to the Providence/RI area.

Currently have a 158 LSAT (retaking in September, with a goal of 160+) and a 3.33 UGPA (that's not changing). I'm currently debt-free (minus a car payment that I am 2 years ahead on, will be paid off shortly) and pretty debt-averse.

Right now, on my radar are: PSU (both, but hesitant about UP campus), Nova (gave out over 130 full rides last year), Temple, Pitt, Drexel, Duquesne (full-ride only), UMD (in Baltimore), maybe UTK, Cinci (was offered a 50% ship by them last cycle), Akron (full-ride last cycle). If I get my LSAT up into the 160s, Richmond is a possibility. Staying away from DC schools due to high COL.

Do you have any other school suggestions for me? Thanks

PS - I can probably pay $20-30k out-of-pocket per year for COL, to avoid loans.

If you're applying Temple, Nova, and Drexel, you might as well apply to Rutgers also. Rutgers places better than Drexel in Philly, and is a little under Nova and Temple. Also, Rutgers tuition is cheaper than Nova and Drexel (and Temple unless you are a Pennsylvania resident). Anyone who moves to Jersey for law school gets in-state tuition at Rutgers. And the school gives out generous scholarships too.

I am not saying any of these schools are great options but if you want to stay in PA, Rutgers isn't a bad option either and wouldn't hurt to apply.

BTW: I also graduated from PSU as undergraduate. I applied and was accepted at PSU but ultimately declined because I was worried about its proximity to nothing (even Carlise is only near Harrisburg). From my knowledge, PSU does not have a strong footing in Philly. Besides the huge undergrad population living in Philly, not many law graduates (at least from my experiences).

Return to “Choosing a Law School”