Chapman Law vs University of San Diego Law

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
luckboxr

New

Chapman Law vs University of San Diego Law

Postby luckboxr » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:48 pm

Hello everyone,

I recently got an acceptance letter from USD Law with a merit-based scholarship offer of $24,000 per year (total of $72,000); the stipulation on the scholarship seems to be steep: maintain 2.81 GPA or higher (approximately 70th percentile)—this condition seems insane. Tuition at this school is $48,830 per year. So, if I maintained my scholarship, I would still have to pay around $74,490, but my parents would help me reduce this by half.

I also have a offer from Chapman Law with a scholarship that covers 70% of my tuition for all 3 years with an opportunity to increase the scholarship if I do better than my cohort—full-tuition if my class rank is within 1-5%; 90% if my rank is within 5-10%; and 80% if my class rank is within 10-15%; the stipulation demands I maintain a 2.9, which is slightly above their median of 2.8. I would owe a little more than $45,000 upon graduation if I maintained my scholarship.

I called USD to negotiate; I informed them that I had scored 2 points better on the June LSAT, from a 156 to a 158, and told them about the Chapman offer; they told me to send the Chapman offer, and my new score, so that admissions could take it into consideration and possibly make a better offer.

My goal is to use the USD offer to get a better offer from Chapman and vice versa.

Any advice would be appreciated and taken into consideration.

Thank you,
Last edited by luckboxr on Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sprout

Silver

Re: Chapman Law vs University of San Diego Law

Postby Sprout » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:01 pm

luckboxr wrote:Hello everyone,

I recently got an acceptance letter from USD Law with a merit-based scholarship offer of $24,000 per year (total of $72,000); the stipulation on the scholarship seems to be steep: maintain 2.81 GPA or higher (approximately 70th percentile)—this condition seems insane. Tuition at this school is $48,830 per year. So, if I maintained my scholarship, I would still have to pay around $74,490, but my parents would help me reduce this by half.

I also have a offer from Chapman Law with a scholarship that covers 70% of my tuition for all 3 years; the stipulation demands I maintain a 2.9, which is slightly above their median of 2.8. I would owe a little more than $45,000 upon graduation.

I called USD to negotiate; I informed them that I had scored 2 points better on the June LSAT, from a 156 to a 158, and told them about the Chapman offer; they told me to send the Chapman offer, and my new score, so that admissions could take it into consideration and possibly make a better offer.

My goal is to use the USD offer to get a better offer from Chapman and vice versa.

Any advice would be appreciated and taken into consideration.

Thank you,

What are you trying to do with your law degree?/Do you plan on working in southern california? I wouldn't go to Chapman. There's a few good law schools in the LA area and Chapman isn't one of them. If you want to work in San Diego, USD isn't a bad option but that offer seems scary to me because it's really hard to predict how you'll do in LS. Are you working right now? Honestly (as someone who should have done this) I would retake next year and try to get above a 160 to get a better scholly offer from SD, or an acceptance to USC, or at least Loyola.

ETA: sorry this isn't what you asked or wanted to hear.

luckboxr

New

Postby luckboxr » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:05 pm

Thank you for your response, Sprout. My goal is graduate with little to no debt then find a mentor and gain some valuable experience and eventually open my own solo or small firm in So Cal; I would like to focus on employment law, securities law, and real estate law. Thank you.
Last edited by luckboxr on Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:06 pm

Neither of these. Never, ever, ever accept a conditional scholarship.

"But surely I'll at least place above the median," you say. Read this: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=264448

Nachoo2019

Silver

Postby Nachoo2019 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:09 pm

You cannot predict that you will be above median. Also, with your goals you need to be going to law school for close to free because you're going to have to start out in a very small firm where you will likely be making 50-60k to start out.

Do not go to Chapman, no matter what. And do not go to USD with that stipulation. You need to negotiate away the stipulation for this to even remotely make sense

luckboxr

New

Postby luckboxr » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:09 pm

Thank you, Cavalier—I'm reading it now.

Johann

Diamond

Postby Johann » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:08 pm

luckboxr wrote:Thank you for your response, Sprout. My goal is graduate with little to no debt then find a mentor and gain some valuable experience and eventually open my own solo or small firm in So Cal; I would like to focus on employment law, securities law, and real estate law. Thank you.

Use all your retakes. Be prepared to hustle after law school in shitlaw for a bit before you get the skills to open your own shop. You're not going to practice securities law out of these schools, but real estate and employment law are fine. I'd pick USD but I'm less risk averse than you. If you're risk averse about the debt (this is a 30 year investment that will affect half of your waking hours for the rest of your life as a fully functioning person), go to the cheapest option. I don't think that's the right calculus though. It's an investment in yourself that you have more control over than other investments, give yourself the best chance to succeed.

luckboxr

New

Postby luckboxr » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:23 pm

Thank you, JohannDeMann; I appreciate the advice.

Return to “Choosing a Law School?