Hofstra Law or Touro Law Center

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
dancedance11

New

Hofstra Law or Touro Law Center

Postby dancedance11 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:49 pm

Hey, so I am having a hard time deciding which law school I am going to be attending in the fall. Some backround knowledge, I took the LSAT twice, first time I got a 146 and second time I got a 150. I was accepted into all the schools I applied to... New York Law, Hofstra, Touro, New England , CUNY, and WL at Saint Johns.

I am now torn between Hofstra and Touro... Hofstra is 54k a year and I received a 15k Scholarship, Touro Is 47K a year and I got a 16K scholarship. I am fortunate enough where I will not be taking out loans so my self and my family will be funding the remaining balance after scholarship money is considered.

Now I know that Hofstra and Touro are both not Fordham and NYU, although statistically speaking Hofstra does hold more weight as far as reputation in New York which is where I intend on practicing. I have interning for a New York State Senator and I interned in the Suffolk DA's office for about a year and I THINK at this point I would want to ultimately work on long island ... maybe the city but aiming more to staying in Nassau or Suffolk.

I want to work in the DAs office and then work at a matrimonial/family law firm, even possibly open up my own. I am really having a hard time deciding what school I should attend. Touro is 30 min from my house and Hofstra is 45 minuets from my house.

I guess the battle is whether I should challenge my self and go to Hofstra or stay in my comfort zone and attend touro ... HELP
Last edited by dancedance11 on Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joeycxxxx09

Bronze

Re: Hofstra Law or Touro Law Center

Postby joeycxxxx09 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:55 pm

Neither.

SFSpartan

Silver

Postby SFSpartan » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:57 pm

You should challenge yourself to achieve a respectable LSAT score on your third take. And you should not go to either school at the prices they are offering, because the debt you are incurring isn't worth it given the job #s at these schools.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Postby Barack O'Drama » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:59 pm

dancedance11 wrote:Hey, so I am having a hard time deciding which law school I am going to be attending in the fall. Some backround knowledge, I took the LSAT twice, first time I got a 146 and second time I got a 150. I was accepted into all the schools I applied to... New York Law, Hofstra, Touro, New England , CUNY, and WL at Saint Johns.

I am now torn between Hofstra and Touro... Hofstra is 54k a year and I received a 15k Scholarship, Touro Is 47K a year and I got a 16K scholarship. I am fortunate enough where I will not be taking out loans so my self and my family will be funding the remaining balance after scholarship money is considered.

Now I know that Hofstra and Touro are both not Fordham and NYU, although statistically speaking Hofstra does hold more weight as far as reputation in New York which is where I intend on practicing. I have interning for a New York State Senator and I interned in the Suffolk DA's office for about a year and I THINK at this point I would want to ultimately work on long island ... maybe the city but aiming more to staying in Nassau or Suffolk.

I want to work in the DAs office and then work at a matrimonial/family law firm, even possibly open up my own. I am really having a hard time deciding what school I should attend. Touro is 30 min from my house and Hofstra is 45 minuets from my house.

I am a certified NYS Bail Bondsman and am already familiar with a lot of the lawyers in Suffolk and some in Nassau, I guess the battle is whether I should challenge my self and go to Hofstra or stay in my comfort zone and attend touro ... HELP

Retake. I know you can do better than a 150. A 150 is basically getting a 48% (or so) on a test. You would be okay with that if the professor offered you one more retake?

Also, I would highly recommend staying far away from all of those schools. Especially NYLS. I don't know anyone personally who goes there, but I know of more than a couple people who told me to stay far away. LOW employment prospects.

What is your GPA? Get the LSAT up a bit and you could be looking at a full ride to somewhere better or perhaps just a full ride to one of the schools you're already considering. No one should be paying thousands to attend NYLS or Touro.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dancedance11

New

Postby dancedance11 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:03 pm

3.0 GPA and at this point I narrowed it down to Touro because of money and the commute or Hofstra, NYL is no longer an option and I suppose I didn't consider retaking the LSAT

Bus Stop King

New

Postby Bus Stop King » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:03 pm

If money truly is not an object, and if you really aren't going to take out any loans, go with Hofstra. It has a decent reputation on Long Island, and you should be able to find a job if you do well in school. As long as you're okay making a nice, middle-class salary -- and you have no debt -- there's no shame in going to a (much)lower-ranked school like Hofstra. Don't let the bullies on here convince you otherwise.

If you end up having to take loans, DO NOT GO. Become a paralegal, or compliance officer, or do something entirely different with your life instead.

As for Touro, it's a for-profit school. Don't sell yourself like that.

dancedance11

New

Postby dancedance11 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:04 pm

Thank you

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:48 pm

Retake. I know it's easier said than done but anyone has the potential for getting a decent LSAT score if they put in the effort. There shouldn't be any reason for anyone to go to these schools at those prices. Even with full rides, these schools are questionable due to employment stats. Study hard for the LSAT and kill it your 3rd try.

Pomeranian

Bronze

Postby Pomeranian » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:27 pm

Ew

Nachoo2019

Silver

Postby Nachoo2019 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:32 pm

Dude. Why not Akron or TAMU?? They have the lazy rivers and I hear they even hold OCI in the river over at Akron! You can't beat that!

Johann

Diamond

Postby Johann » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:34 am

hofstra.

you should also read up on PAYE anad PSLF before you fund the education yourself because you might be contributing 150K of your savings/family's saving you wish you had once you graduate that you didnt even have to repay in full.

Return to “Choosing a Law School�