Help! GMU vs. Syracuse

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where Should I Go?

GMU
65%
Syracuse
12%
Neither
24%

Total votes: 17

Matthew236

New

Help! GMU vs. Syracuse

Postby Matthew236 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:23 am

Ok, long time lurker here, need your help friends; I have two options:

1. GMU (100% first year, 80% next two years, no stips) (Roughly 16k tuition debt after 3 years)
2. Syracuse (50% all 3 years, no stips) (Roughly 60k tuition debt after 3 years, but waiting for counter-offer right now)

About Me:

-I am an Army officer headed back to the JAG Corps after grad.
-Thus, rankings and job prospects really don't mean anything to me. I already have a job. When I leave, I know my mil experience will be more important to potential employers than where I went to school... right?
-I'm looking for a solid 3 year experience, I don't want to compete hard core since I know what I am doing.
-COL also not that important, military is paying it.
-I would probably like to practice in DC after my time in the military, but I won't rule out NYC if the right job came around.
-Not from either place, I call CA home.
-Really interested in being on trial ad teams, veterans clinics, etc.

-Already deposited to Syracuse, GMU was a waitlist offer I got this week. I originally chose SU because I liked their focus on Nat'l Sec Law, joint degree (JD and MPA) and sports scene (like I said, I have a job, would rather enjoy the next 3 years).
-Need to decide by 7/1/16

Help! What should I do?

(Also please don't say neither- retake. It's not an option for me, I have to go this fall or not at all)

cavalier1138

Gold

Re: Help! GMU vs. Syracuse

Postby cavalier1138 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:44 am

Do you know what sort of practice you're interested in post-JAG?

(Also, I know nothing about JAG, but I was under the impression that job offers weren't extended before school. Is that not always the case?)

Matthew236

New

Postby Matthew236 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:49 am

I'd like to get into corporate counsel, preferably for a large defense corporation and then maybe politics if there is any dignity left in the profession by then. :?

You can get JAG before law school if you do ROTC in undergrad and are granted an Ed-Delay, which I was. Only about ~10 people a year do this.

Wipfelder

Silver

Postby Wipfelder » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:10 pm

Matthew236 wrote:-I am an Army officer headed back to the JAG Corps after grad.

Wouldn't LS be free if your FLEP?

hipcatdaddio

Bronze

Postby hipcatdaddio » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:12 pm

If COL is completely covered (as you say it is) and you already have a job (like you say you do), I'd go to GMU over Syracuse. I just can't imagine enjoying 3 years of my life in the frozen tundra that results from lake effect snow. If you want to be in DC post-military, GMU has some sort of alumni base in DC, Syracuse doesn't. If college athletics are really important to you (you kind of hinted that they might be), Syracuse football is lousy and they play a zone defense in basketball, so is it even really basketball at that point? Now Syracuse lacrosse is something fun to experience.

Matthew236

New

Postby Matthew236 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:14 pm

Wipfelder wrote:
Matthew236 wrote:-I am an Army officer headed back to the JAG Corps after grad.

Wouldn't LS be free if your FLEP?

Negative, I'm not on FLEP... I'm on Ed Delay; different programs.

Matthew236

New

Postby Matthew236 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:15 pm

hipcatdaddio wrote:If COL is completely covered (as you say it is) and you already have a job (like you say you do), I'd go to GMU over Syracuse. I just can't imagine enjoying 3 years of my life in the frozen tundra that results from lake effect snow. If you want to be in DC post-military, GMU has some sort of alumni base in DC, Syracuse doesn't. If college athletics are really important to you (you kind of hinted that they might be), Syracuse football is lousy and they play a zone defense in basketball, so is it even really basketball at that point? Now Syracuse lacrosse is something fun to experience.

Well... most of it's covered. I get a stipend of sorts.

They're not super important, just an example of something to do. I like a community feel, I don't want it to be like everyone shows up for class and leaves right after and goes back to their small dark corner of the world.

Wipfelder

Silver

Postby Wipfelder » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:30 pm

Matthew236 wrote: I'm on Ed Delay; different programs.

So are you actually an active duty army officer then? Or a MS IV?

It sounds like your looking to continue the college life through attending LS. I think you'll find that at both places. Just go with whatever's cheaper and ride out your time in JAG.

With housing allowance, BAS, Pro-Pay, and stuff like that, you'll have BigLaw compensation with about 1/5th the effort. Many JAG officers are top-notch people who work their assess off, but many more are not. Promotions are basically lock-step, competence in legal matters is probably only the third or fourth most important thing impacting your ability to not get fired.

Matthew236

New

Postby Matthew236 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:37 pm

Wipfelder wrote:
Matthew236 wrote: I'm on Ed Delay; different programs.

So are you actually an active duty army officer then? Or a MS IV?

It sounds like your looking to continue the college life through attending LS. I think you'll find that at both places. Just go with whatever's cheaper and ride out your time in JAG.

With housing allowance, BAS, Pro-Pay, and stuff like that, you'll have BigLaw compensation with about 1/5th the effort. Many JAG officers are top-notch people who work their assess off, but many more are not. Promotions are basically lock-step, competence in legal matters is probably only the third or fourth most important thing impacting your ability to not get fired.

I commissioned in May. The Army has me on active TDY for the summer. I'll go back to reserve in LS.

Cheaper would obviously be GMU... and you're probably right. I'm in a JAG office this summer and that's pretty accurate. Sounds like you're familiar with the field. It'll be a good career but we'll see how long I stay. I go back and forth.

Wipfelder

Silver

Postby Wipfelder » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:21 pm

Matthew236 wrote: Cheaper would obviously be GMU... and you're probably right. I'm in a JAG office this summer and that's pretty accurate. Sounds like you're familiar with the field. It'll be a good career but we'll see how long I stay. I go back and forth.

I think you'll have more chances to broaden your social horizons at GMU. But COL could tip the scales towards Syracuse. Either way, we're not talking about too much money.

Don't think too much about whether you'll stay in or what. You'll be a much different person 8-10 years from now. Impossible to predict your priorities at that time.

Johann

Diamond

Postby Johann » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:35 pm

whichever one has less debt/wherever you want to live more. congrats man solid outcome.

Matthew236

New

Postby Matthew236 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:08 am

JohannDeMann wrote:whichever one has less debt/wherever you want to live more. congrats man solid outcome.

Thanks, it was very unexpected; obviously benefiting from some of the Scalia money here.

pancakes3

Platinum

Postby pancakes3 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:42 am

you'd choose syracuse over DC for the sports scene?

i know that DC sports are a joke but it's still a 4-league market.

Matthew236

New

Postby Matthew236 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:11 am

pancakes3 wrote:you'd choose syracuse over DC for the sports scene?

i know that DC sports are a joke but it's still a 4-league market.

Haha, I was referring more to collegiate level sports. However, point taken. I just want a school that feels like a community.

Return to “Choosing a Law School�