Northeastern ($$) vs Fordham ($)...

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Hockey13

New

Northeastern ($$) vs Fordham ($)...

Postby Hockey13 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:39 pm

Hi

I'll keep it simple

-The schools you are considering - Northeastern and Fordham (just got off the WL), still on WL of BU and a few others.

-The total Cost of Attendance (COA) of each. COA = cost of tuition + fees + books + cost of living (COL) + accumulated interest - scholarships.
The debt taken on at Fordham would be $132k and $49k at Northeastern

-How you will be financing your COA, i.e. loans, family, or savings
Loans

-Where you are from and where you want to work, and other places where you have significant ties (if any)
From Boston and currently live just outside of Boston. I have an APT in Boston and pay rent. Love NYC and could see myself working in either city. Went to Notre Dame undergrad (English).

-Your general career goals
East coast big law

-Your LSAT/GPA numbers
160/3.6

-How many times you have taken the LSAT
I despise the LSAT and don't want to wait longer for law school, I've been working a dead end job in insurance for 2 years.

Thanks for the help! - Monday, June 28 is deadline to decide.
Last edited by Hockey13 on Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RajonEsq

New

Re: Northeastern ($$) vs Fordham ($)...

Postby RajonEsq » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:46 pm

Going this year is not the play. Waiting another year to retake and reapply for law school seems like a big deal now, but five years from now, how you spent that year will matter way less than your debt load/job prospects. Study for the LSAT. Work your bad insurance job. Read some novels. Binge watch some tv. Live hard for another year. But do not take either of these options.

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:21 pm

Since you have a snowball's chance in hell of getting East Coast biglaw from either of these schools, the answer is neither. I know you don't want to hear it, but you need to wait. You need to retake. And you need to get into a school that gives you a shot at biglaw if that's your goal (or at least don't go into six figures of debt going to a school that doesn't give you that).

Seriously, these are both terrible options.

Pomeranian

Bronze

Postby Pomeranian » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:22 pm

To put it bluntly, getting big law out of Northeastern is almost impossible, getting big law out of Fordham is very unlikely but possible if you have top grades (a big IF).

How are you calculating COA for Fordham? I'm certain the cost of living expenses are going to be more for Fordham. Even with the cost you gave, it's incredibly risky. Retake is going to be the TLS consensus.
Last edited by Pomeranian on Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

joeycxxxx09

Bronze

Postby joeycxxxx09 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:24 pm

Cringe worthy post.... 190k debt at Fordham? 62% employment at Northeastern with 90k debt? Don't do it

Hockey13

New

Postby Hockey13 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:34 pm

joeycxxxx09 wrote:Cringe worthy post.... 190k debt at Fordham? 62% employment at Northeastern with 90k debt? Don't do it

To clarify

The debt taken on at Fordham would be $132k and $49k at Northeastern

The rest I was factoring in rent etc. which I will not need to loan money for.

joeycxxxx09

Bronze

Postby joeycxxxx09 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:36 pm

Point still stands

joeycxxxx09

Bronze

Postby joeycxxxx09 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:37 pm

You went to ND and have a 3.6. You can get at least another 5 on the lsat without much work

FutureSuperLawyer

New

Postby FutureSuperLawyer » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:00 pm

Obviously Fordham. You want to do biglaw. 25% to 30% of Fordham grads get it so you have a decent chance with Fordham. The odds at Northeastern are much lower, less than 10%.

But I have to question how well you'll do as a lawyer. Judgment and the ability to do research are very important for lawyers. I was able to get the information on Fordham's and Northeastern's outcomes in less than 5 minutes. The fact that you, even with a colleague education, went to an anonymous internet bulletin board for advice rather than simply pulling the relevant information makes me doubt both your judgment and your research skills.

I expect you will borrow $250k for Fordham and then I will have to pay it back when you fail to get a biglaw job, or lose it quickly, and then enter one of the government's many loan repayment programs. So you are welcome in advance for my covering your tuition and please enjoy your three year, taxpayer financed vacation. Maybe if you can't get a job after law school you get a taxpayer funded LLM.

Mullens

Silver

Postby Mullens » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:26 pm

Both of these are objectively terrible options. Your best shot here is a 25% shot at your desired outcome for $132,000 in debt? I would never do that.

timbs4339

Gold

Postby timbs4339 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:42 pm

Retake. Are you seriously going to spend $132K in debt and who knows how much in savings/someone else's money because you can't work a "dead-end" job for a whole freaking year? Come on.

Johann

Diamond

Postby Johann » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:37 pm

if big law is the goal, you have to go to fordham. its not a highly likely outcome but northeastern wont get you there at all. get ready to bust your ass in law school.

Return to “Choosing a Law School�