BU($$) vs. Fordham Sticker

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
EnviroNerd

New

BU($$) vs. Fordham Sticker

Postby EnviroNerd » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:41 am

In at BU with 27k a year. Just got off Fordhams waitlist so it will most likely be sticker. I want to end up in NYC due to me having strong ties here. Living expenses will be covered by my savings and some help from parents. Was wondering how well BU places in NYC because I know Fordham has an amazing network here. Thoughtsssss?

cavalier1138

Gold

Re: BU($$) vs. Fordham Sticker

Postby cavalier1138 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:47 am

My thoughts are that we need more information (per the sticky at the top of the forum):

What is your total COA at each school?
What are your career goals?
GPA/LSAT?

Edit: Even before getting that, though, there's no universe where Fordham is worth sticker.

EnviroNerd

New

Postby EnviroNerd » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:02 am

Coa would be tuition(50k) -scholarship (27k) + interest over 3 years?. Career goals aren't concrete. I wouldn't mind working mid/big law or government. Lsat is 161 and gpa 3.71.

BasilHallward

Silver

Postby BasilHallward » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:17 am

You are about to walk into debtor's prison to the tune of 300k. What's scarier is how nonchalant you are about this fact. Get a real plan or slash the potential debt load by 200k+.
Last edited by BasilHallward on Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

BasilHallward

Silver

Postby BasilHallward » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:18 am

The above is based on considering Fordham. And lawl at the "amazing network"

EnviroNerd

New

Postby EnviroNerd » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:31 am

BasilHallward wrote:The above is based on considering Fordham. And lawl at the "amazing network"

Lmao it's what i've been hearing :shock:

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:43 am

Well, of your career goals, BU gets you a slight shot at biglaw or government (assuming you mean DOJ, not local DA). But realistically, the only thing either of these schools gets you is a medium-sized firm, and that's not going to help you pay off your debt.

Your best option here is to retake and reapply next cycle. Even a few more points on that LSAT means more money and a shot at some schools that will give you better chances to do what you want.

Pomeranian

Bronze

Postby Pomeranian » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:37 pm

EnviroNerd wrote:
BasilHallward wrote:The above is based on considering Fordham. And lawl at the "amazing network"

Lmao it's what i've been hearing :shock:

I would not bank on the so called "amazing network." A recent Fordham grad I know is working at a smallish personal injury firm in the outer boroughs. He had to hustle himself for almost a year to get this position.

EnviroNerd

New

Postby EnviroNerd » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:37 pm

So BU is the way to go I guess? Lol. Will Boston give me a decent shot to work in NY. Considering I have serious ties here?

usaorbust

Bronze

Postby usaorbust » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:44 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:Your best option here is to retake and reapply next cycle. Even a few more points on that LSAT means more money and a shot at some schools that will give you better chances to do what you want.

stig2014

Bronze

Postby stig2014 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:44 pm

EnviroNerd wrote:So BU is the way to go I guess? Lol. Will Boston give me a decent shot to work in NY. Considering I have serious ties here?

No, not really.

The way to go is to retake and go to Columbia or NYU if you want NY. Or even a lower ranked t14 with scholarship.

EnviroNerd

New

Postby EnviroNerd » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:49 pm

I understand retaking for a better score and getting into a T-14 is my best bet for my target location. I meant is BU the better option over Fordham? I do appreciate the feedback though guys!

stig2014

Bronze

Postby stig2014 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:55 pm

EnviroNerd wrote:I understand retaking for a better score and getting into a T-14 is my best bet for my target location. I meant is BU the better option over Fordham? I do appreciate the feedback though guys!

BU is probably the better of the two options.

Shootin

New

Postby Shootin » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:04 pm

If you are aiming for NYC then Fordham is heads and tails better than BU. You can't even compare. You just have to decide how much it really means for you to be in NYC. The advice stig gives you ignores your placement preference.

Regardless of how strong your ties are, it will be an uphill battle to end up in NYC from BU, as compared to Fordham (it is Boston University after all :wink: ).

stig2014

Bronze

Postby stig2014 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:40 pm

Shootin wrote:If you are aiming for NYC then Fordham is heads and tails better than BU. You can't even compare. You just have to decide how much it really means for you to be in NYC. The advice stig gives you ignores your placement preference.

Regardless of how strong your ties are, it will be an uphill battle to end up in NYC from BU, as compared to Fordham (it is Boston University after all :wink: ).

No disagreement that Fordham places better in NY. However, I was just saying I don't think Fordham is worth 27k a year more than BU, regardless of desired location and the NY bump it gives.

OP, the fact of the matter is, neither one of these schools gives you a great chance at NY BL (I don't think NY midlaw will help you service sticker at Fordham; which is why I only address BL). But, at least at BU there's a solid scholarship. You just need to be comfortable with the fact that you may not get NY BL from BU; or retake.

bwh8813

Bronze

Postby bwh8813 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:46 pm

Shootin wrote:If you are aiming for NYC then Fordham is heads and tails better than BU. You can't even compare. You just have to decide how much it really means for you to be in NYC. The advice stig gives you ignores your placement preference.

It is not an "uphill battle" to end up in NYC from BU. BU has a large NYC network and many BU students go to NYC every year. An "uphill battle" makes it seem like it's highly unlikely to be possible. If you want it, it can happen. Where, obviously depends on performance.

Regardless, as already said, you'd be crazy to go to Fordham at sticker for any reason, especially over a scholarship at a comparable-to-better ranked school.

EnviroNerd

New

Postby EnviroNerd » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:28 pm

Thanks for the discussion/feedback guys :D. I know you have to basically be top third in both schools for a decent shot at BL in NYC. Was just hoping to hear it's definitely possible to end up in NYC from BU. I'm assuming with no ties it would be more difficult.

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:52 pm

EnviroNerd wrote:Thanks for the discussion/feedback guys :D. I know you have to basically be top third in both schools for a decent shot at BL in NYC. Was just hoping to hear it's definitely possible to end up in NYC from BU. I'm assuming with no ties it would be more difficult.

So in other words, you were just looking for someone to validate the decision you already made, so you've ignored all the advice saying that getting into this much unnecessary debt is a bad idea?

Mullens

Silver

Postby Mullens » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:14 pm

Yeah neither of these options fit your goals and are entirely too expensive. You're essentially gambling $200,000 at the 33% chance you get a job that can even service your debt (ignoring that you still have to pay it back at that point). If you don't get biglaw out of law school, it's almost impossible to get it later in your career.

Have you calculated your loan payments and what these schools will cost you?

You're making a poor decision here when you should retake so you can go to a school that allows you a decent shot to service your debt and achieve your career goals. You only get one shot at starting your career and this decision is far more important than you seem to be treating it.

SiddFinch85

New

Postby SiddFinch85 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:42 pm

Recent BU grad here. I wouldn't go to BU planning to go to New York, regardless of the "network" you're being sold by Admissions.

Look at BU's employment stats from the last three years here: http://www.bu.edu/law/careers/employment-statistics/. Take a look at the number of students employed in New York (the stats also show the number of people taking the bar there, but that is misleading because you're getting a handful of people taking NY for DC admission or who are still unemployed). Last few years have been right around 16% going to New York and not all of them are going to be in the City and not all will be Big Law. Roughly the top 1/3 at BU (better the past couple of years but not by much) will be competitive for Big Law, but most of those opportunities are concentrated in the Boston market. If Big Law is what you need to service your debt (at same scholarship I've got $125k) and your approach is NYC or bust, you're looking at a very small chance of obtaining your desired outcome.

Spend a year to get some more experience, do more research into what career options you'd like to pursue and re-apply. Even if your LSAT doesn't go up considerably, having a better idea of your interests and goals will allow you to make a more informed decision than it seems you can make in the current circumstances.

For the record, Fordham at sticker is not worth it.

Shootin

New

Postby Shootin » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:55 am

bwh8813 wrote:

It is not an "uphill battle" to end up in NYC from BU. BU has a large NYC network and many BU students go to NYC every year. An "uphill battle" makes it seem like it's highly unlikely to be possible. If you want it, it can happen. Where, obviously depends on performance.

Regardless, as already said, you'd be crazy to go to Fordham at sticker for any reason, especially over a scholarship at a comparable-to-better ranked school.

It absolutely is an uphill battle. And its definition is not "highly unlikely to be possible." Although if your chances to end up in NYC from BU are like a quarter then I guess its not entirely wrong to use that definition.

Like everyone else is saying, I agree that these options are too expensive. All I am saying is that from Fordham you will for sure end up in NYC and from BU you got like, a quarter or a third of a chance? If you say that BU has a large alumni network in NYC, imagine what network Fordham has.

And it comes down to how important it is for OP to be in NYC. If he absolutely must be in NYC then its reckless to attend BU. By going to BU OP really needs to fine with ending up in Boston.

EnviroNerd

New

Postby EnviroNerd » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:34 am

I'm not saying I definitely want to end up in NY. I was just wondering what the odds were that I could end up there from a school not in NYC. Obviously to me getting a job is more important than where that job is. I'll be fine being in boston for a bit and then moving after a few years. I would like to stay in NY due to family/friends but oh well shit happens.

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:30 pm

EnviroNerd wrote:I'm not saying I definitely want to end up in NY. I was just wondering what the odds were that I could end up there from a school not in NYC. Obviously to me getting a job is more important than where that job is. I'll be fine being in boston for a bit and then moving after a few years. I would like to stay in NY due to family/friends but oh well shit happens.

But why do you think that you'll be able to easily move after a few years?

EnviroNerd

New

Postby EnviroNerd » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:49 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
EnviroNerd wrote:I'm not saying I definitely want to end up in NY. I was just wondering what the odds were that I could end up there from a school not in NYC. Obviously to me getting a job is more important than where that job is. I'll be fine being in boston for a bit and then moving after a few years. I would like to stay in NY due to family/friends but oh well shit happens.

Didn't say easily. Just saying i'd be ok if and when it happens.

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:41 pm

EnviroNerd wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

Didn't say easily. Just saying i'd be ok if and when it happens.

Right, but despite you saying that you don't "definitely want to end up in NY," you keep coming back to it. So it sounds like you do definitely want to end up there, whether it's right out of school or 10 years out of school. And I'm wondering whether you think that it's a likely outcome 10 years after school if you go to BU and get a job in Boston when you graduate.

Look, go to school wherever you want, but your posts have made it really clear that you want to be in New York. And if that's the case, then you should put yourself in a better position to end up there.

Return to “Choosing a Law School�