stanford or umich?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
nativtracker

New

stanford or umich?

Postby nativtracker » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:05 am

Just need some insight. Stanford or UMich? Looking to go international or big law. Accepted into both. Any thoughts or comments are always welcome. URM

Redfactor

Bronze

Re: stanford or umich?

Postby Redfactor » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:01 am

Given that your only other post is in the Stanford waitlist thread, I will give you the benefit of the doubt that this is not a trolling question.

Stanford.

The only way I would really consider Michigan was if (1) it was free, and (2) you didn't get any aid from Stanford.

However, I think Stanford does a lot of need-based aid (someone correct me if I'm wrong on this), so I would assume Stanford would be the better choice in almost every circumstance.

A genuine congratulations on being admitted to SLS. That's huge :)

nativtracker

New

Postby nativtracker » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:41 am

Thank you :) I'm still in shock. I would of never guessed in a million years. I heard that beyond the T-14 that all the schools are pretty much the same, but I'm guessing HYS carry a little more weight.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Postby jbagelboy » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:15 am

What do you mean you want to do international law? What is your scholarship at Michigan and your need based award at Stanford?

I wouldn't exaggerate differences based on US News--a handful of spots is meaningless--but these schools do differ substantially enough in outcomes, especially hiring into the types of positions that verifiably hold themselves out as "public international law." So unless Stanford is at least six figures more expensive, its the clear choice.

nativtracker

New

Postby nativtracker » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:28 am

Ideally, I'm looking to go into M and A or, international trade. by international, i simply meant practice internationally. my scholly at umich is 43k, I'm finding out the package for stan later next week, but I think Stanford is probably in a whole different league than Michigan. It just that I started here as a summer starter last week and already made friends, but then again, law isnt a team sport I suppose.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Postby jbagelboy » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:35 am

43k TOTAL, or 43k per year?

If Michigan offered $43k total, call Stanford and accept and pack your bags for the bay area.

Mich at 43k per year is better than Stanford at sticker for generic private international law work like M&A. I wouldn't say the schools are in a different league, I'd just say Stanford offers better opportunities to a larger cut of its class. Don't let the fact that you've started already sway you too strongly, but take time to consider the financial cost of each degree.

nativtracker

New

Postby nativtracker » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:57 am

43k total over the course of three years. Its just never fun to say goodbye to people you are just starting to have as your friends, but I think it would be something I would regret a year from now.

Nachoo2019

Silver

Postby Nachoo2019 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:59 am

nativtracker wrote:43k total over the course of three years. Its just never fun to say goodbye to people you are just starting to have as your friends, but I think it would be something I would regret a year from now.

You would absolutely regret it. Get out of Ann Arbor and get your butt to Palo Alto. Congrats! Getting into SLS is a feat to be proud of!

jnwa

Silver

Postby jnwa » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:03 am

nativtracker wrote:43k total over the course of three years. Its just never fun to say goodbye to people you are just starting to have as your friends, but I think it would be something I would regret a year from now.

I was really looking forward to meeting the summer starters in August...however i shouldnt meet you because you should be at Stanford.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Postby jbagelboy » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:16 am

43k total is bullshit, go to Stanford and never look back.

And enjoy your new (long) summer!

michlaw

Bronze

Postby michlaw » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:41 pm

Duh...Stanford...U Mich is nice but...As a URM who says they are shocked to get into Stanford I am guessing you would find the forced curve environment at Michigan challenging. I could be wrong. You would need top 10% at Mich to get the same opportunities as anything at Stanford.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Postby jbagelboy » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:09 pm

michlaw wrote:Duh...Stanford...U Mich is nice but...As a URM who says they are shocked to get into Stanford I am guessing you would find the forced curve environment at Michigan challenging. I could be wrong. You would need top 10% at Mich to get the same opportunities as anything at Stanford.

the last sentence is just so wrong and implies such deeply held misconceptions about the legal market. doesn't change the outcome for this OP, but its just not something you can state with any credibility.

ronanOgara

Gold

Postby ronanOgara » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:17 pm

Enjoy palo alto!

nativtracker

New

Postby nativtracker » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:41 pm

Thank you all. Ive always respected TLS opinions, you all seem very knowledgable. Palo Alto it is.

Nolachicken

Bronze

Postby Nolachicken » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:52 pm

nativtracker wrote:Ideally, I'm looking to go into M and A or, international trade. by international, i simply meant practice internationally. my scholly at umich is 43k, I'm finding out the package for stan later next week, but I think Stanford is probably in a whole different league than Michigan. It just that I started here as a summer starter last week and already made friends, but then again, law isnt a team sport I suppose.

I wonder about your financial and loans if you have already started. Have classes already begun, or is it just orientation? Will you have to drop all of your classes or pay for the summer semester at Michigan? I don't know, I was just thinking about how something like this works.

nativtracker

New

Postby nativtracker » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:04 pm

I talked to them. If it is over 3 weeks, its pro rated, under, its full refund. so given it is under, I hope its full.

Nolachicken

Bronze

Postby Nolachicken » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:32 pm

nativtracker wrote:I talked to them. If it is over 3 weeks, its pro rated, under, its full refund. so given it is under, I hope its full.

That's good! Congratulations!

yost

Bronze

Postby yost » Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:35 pm

Michigan student here. Go to Stanford.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Postby Barack O'Drama » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:10 pm

Stanford! :D Congrats and enjoy.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WheninLaw

Silver

Postby WheninLaw » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:13 pm

michlaw wrote:Duh...Stanford...U Mich is nice but...As a URM who says they are shocked to get into Stanford I am guessing you would find the forced curve environment at Michigan challenging. I could be wrong. You would need top 10% at Mich to get the same opportunities as anything at Stanford.

Terrible, disastrous advice.

But yes, go to Stanford.

michlaw

Bronze

Postby michlaw » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:35 am

WheninLaw wrote:

But yes, go to Stanford.

You agree with my advice. You disagree with my rationale. What matter, the result is the same. Was the Obama Care mandate really a tax? Who cares as long as you win. Stanford.

pancakes3

Platinum

Postby pancakes3 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:46 am

michlaw wrote:
WheninLaw wrote:

But yes, go to Stanford.

You agree with my advice. You disagree with my rationale. What matter, the result is the same. Was the Obama Care mandate really a tax? Who cares as long as you win. Stanford.

just wondering: do non-URMs who didn't get into Stanford find the forced curve environment at Michigan not challenging? less so than URMs who got into better schools?

michlaw

Bronze

Postby michlaw » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:02 am

U=you R=are M=missing the point. Stanford has no bad grades. All P's = 180 G's (nice new number). This ain't about mismatch theory, gunning, or any of that crap. Go to Stanford. Amazing opportunity. Congratulations.

pancakes3

Platinum

Postby pancakes3 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:06 am

michlaw wrote:U=you R=are M=missing the point. Stanford has no bad grades. All P's = 180 G's (nice new number). This ain't about mismatch theory, gunning, or any of that crap. Go to Stanford. Amazing opportunity. Congratulations.

So this advice applies to everyone choosing between Stanford and Michigan, not just URMs who are shocked to get into Stanford?

Nolachicken

Bronze

Postby Nolachicken » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:21 am

Aren't the majority of people shocked when they get into Stanford? Is it because they thought they weren't good enough to get in, or because it is a special and shocking experience?

Return to “Choosing a Law School�