Hofstra 100% or Belmont 75%

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jimco71

New
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:43 pm

Hofstra 100% or Belmont 75%

Postby jimco71 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:45 pm

So yeah pretty much the title. I went to Hofstra undergrad and was trying to choose between the two before monday. I know Belmont gets flack because it was unaccredited but it now is so I wanted to know how the two stacked up on here. Thanks. I should also add that I want to go into entertainment law potentially and while Belmont has a program and Hofstra doesn't, Hofstra does have an IP program with entertainment law classes that I could potentially go into entertainment.

User avatar
bretby

Bronze
Posts: 388
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:15 pm

Re: Hofstra 100% or Belmont 75%

Postby bretby » Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:56 pm

jimco71 wrote:So yeah pretty much the title. I went to Hofstra undergrad and was trying to choose between the two before monday. I know Belmont gets flack because it was unaccredited but it now is so I wanted to know how the two stacked up on here. Thanks. I should also add that I want to go into entertainment law potentially and while Belmont has a program and Hofstra doesn't, Hofstra does have an IP program with entertainment law classes that I could potentially go into entertainment.


Only go to Belmont if you want to live in Nashville/surrounding suburbs and work in a small firm or solo.

cavalier1138

Gold
Posts: 4954
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: Hofstra 100% or Belmont 75%

Postby cavalier1138 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:05 pm

Entertainment law is a fairly selective field. Are graduates from these schools actually finding jobs in entertainment law?

jimco71

New
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:43 pm

Re: Hofstra 100% or Belmont 75%

Postby jimco71 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:32 pm

bretby wrote:
jimco71 wrote:So yeah pretty much the title. I went to Hofstra undergrad and was trying to choose between the two before monday. I know Belmont gets flack because it was unaccredited but it now is so I wanted to know how the two stacked up on here. Thanks. I should also add that I want to go into entertainment law potentially and while Belmont has a program and Hofstra doesn't, Hofstra does have an IP program with entertainment law classes that I could potentially go into entertainment.


Only go to Belmont if you want to live in Nashville/surrounding suburbs and work in a small firm or solo.


Yeah I've been in love with the nashville area fora while and wouldn't mind working in a smaller environment

jimco71

New
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:43 pm

Re: Hofstra 100% or Belmont 75%

Postby jimco71 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:33 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:Entertainment law is a fairly selective field. Are graduates from these schools actually finding jobs in entertainment law?


To be honest I'm not sure but I guess that's where Hofstra has an advantage with IP concentration which is a bigger field plus the entertainment law connections I've made there already through a teacher I have a good relationship with who works in entertainment law.

BNA

Bronze
Posts: 351
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:44 pm

Re: Hofstra 100% or Belmont 75%

Postby BNA » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:22 pm

Students ARE getting entertainment positions at small (2-8 member) shops in Nashville from Belmont. Not a student there, but I'm from Nashville and am somewhat involved in the music biz. Keep in mind, though, that these students are probably connected or have great grades.

User avatar
nealric

Gold
Posts: 2743
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:53 am

Re: Hofstra 100% or Belmont 75%

Postby nealric » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:50 am

jimco71 wrote:So yeah pretty much the title. I went to Hofstra undergrad and was trying to choose between the two before monday. I know Belmont gets flack because it was unaccredited but it now is so I wanted to know how the two stacked up on here. Thanks. I should also add that I want to go into entertainment law potentially and while Belmont has a program and Hofstra doesn't, Hofstra does have an IP program with entertainment law classes that I could potentially go into entertainment.


Do you already have serious connections in the entertainment industry? If the answer is no, there's a 99% chance you will never be an entertainment lawyer. Do not spend three years of your life on a 1% chance.

If you are fine being with a personal injury attorney in Long Island an do not currently have any professional career prospects, then go to Hofstra. Do not pay money to attend an unaccredited law school under any circumstances.

User avatar
nealric

Gold
Posts: 2743
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:53 am

Re: Hofstra 100% or Belmont 75%

Postby nealric » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:52 am

BNA wrote:Students ARE getting entertainment positions at small (2-8 member) shops in Nashville from Belmont.


People ARE winning the power ball lottery too. Don't go out and buy thousands of tickets.

BNA

Bronze
Posts: 351
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:44 pm

Re: Hofstra 100% or Belmont 75%

Postby BNA » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:57 pm

nealric wrote:
BNA wrote:Students ARE getting entertainment positions at small (2-8 member) shops in Nashville from Belmont.


People ARE winning the power ball lottery too. Don't go out and buy thousands of tickets.


Great job excluding the part warning him/her of the likelihood of it actually happening. You're the problem with this site. Go away.

cavalier1138

Gold
Posts: 4954
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: Hofstra 100% or Belmont 75%

Postby cavalier1138 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:52 pm

BNA wrote:
nealric wrote:
BNA wrote:Students ARE getting entertainment positions at small (2-8 member) shops in Nashville from Belmont.


People ARE winning the power ball lottery too. Don't go out and buy thousands of tickets.


Great job excluding the part warning him/her of the likelihood of it actually happening. You're the problem with this site. Go away.


Wait, are you claiming that a substantial number of people who go to Belmont looking to do entertainment law (with no prior connections or experience in the industry) are getting those positions?

BigZuck

Diamond
Posts: 11731
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Hofstra 100% or Belmont 75%

Postby BigZuck » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:24 pm

OP- What do you mean by "Entertainment law?" That's very vague. What kind of job are you hoping to get?

BNA

Bronze
Posts: 351
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:44 pm

Re: Hofstra 100% or Belmont 75%

Postby BNA » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:49 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
BNA wrote:
nealric wrote:
BNA wrote:Students ARE getting entertainment positions at small (2-8 member) shops in Nashville from Belmont.


People ARE winning the power ball lottery too. Don't go out and buy thousands of tickets.


Great job excluding the part warning him/her of the likelihood of it actually happening. You're the problem with this site. Go away.


Wait, are you claiming that a substantial number of people who go to Belmont looking to do entertainment law (with no prior connections or experience in the industry) are getting those positions?


BNA wrote:Students ARE getting entertainment positions at small (2-8 member) shops in Nashville from Belmont. Not a student there, but I'm from Nashville and am somewhat involved in the music biz. Keep in mind, though, that these students are probably connected or have great grades.

User avatar
84651846190

Gold
Posts: 2198
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:06 pm

Re: Hofstra 100% or Belmont 75%

Postby 84651846190 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:11 am

These schools are shit. Don't go to either of them unless you already have a job lined up as a lawyer before enrolling.

User avatar
nealric

Gold
Posts: 2743
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:53 am

Re: Hofstra 100% or Belmont 75%

Postby nealric » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:24 pm

BNA wrote:
nealric wrote:
BNA wrote:Students ARE getting entertainment positions at small (2-8 member) shops in Nashville from Belmont.


People ARE winning the power ball lottery too. Don't go out and buy thousands of tickets.


Great job excluding the part warning him/her of the likelihood of it actually happening. You're the problem with this site. Go away.


Wait, I'm confused. People think winning the lottery is likely? Warning of the low likelihood was exactly the point of my post.

BNA

Bronze
Posts: 351
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:44 pm

Re: Hofstra 100% or Belmont 75%

Postby BNA » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:47 pm

nealric wrote:
BNA wrote:
nealric wrote:
BNA wrote:Students ARE getting entertainment positions at small (2-8 member) shops in Nashville from Belmont.


People ARE winning the power ball lottery too. Don't go out and buy thousands of tickets.


Great job excluding the part warning him/her of the likelihood of it actually happening. You're the problem with this site. Go away.


Wait, I'm confused. People think winning the lottery is likely? Warning of the low likelihood was exactly the point of my post.


Yeah, it was a point of my original post as well. I mentioned that those who wound up doing entertainment work were either connected or at the top of the class, i.e. Low probability/likelihood.

User avatar
Pomeranian

Bronze
Posts: 259
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 10:23 pm

Re: Hofstra 100% or Belmont 75%

Postby Pomeranian » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:47 pm

Third Tier RealiTTTy :*(



Return to “Choosing a Law School�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests