Georgetown vs. USC (help)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
11law01

New

Georgetown vs. USC (help)

Postby 11law01 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:00 pm

LSAT: 162, GPA: 3.85, very strong softs

Deposited at USC with a total scholarship 105K in April, but got accepted off the waitlist at Georgetown Law today... Georgetown called me yesterday and I clearly told them I would not accept an offer without a scholarship so I am assuming they are giving me some money (I find out for sure on Monday).... I know everyone is going to say "go where you want to practice law" but can someone give me some other advice? It would be a lot easier for me to live in D.C. (I'm from NYC, I know the city, have friends there, etc.) but I am extremely concerned about digging myself into a debt hole at GT that I can never get out of.

SIDE NOTE: I just retook the June LSAT and I am waiting for my scores... I was scoring 167-171 on practice tests, but I messed up a game really bad on the test so I'm assuming closer to a 165. GT is going to want an answer before I get my scores

Waitlisted at: UCLA, Cornell, and Michigan still
Last edited by 11law01 on Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Platinum

Re: Georgetown vs. USC (help)

Postby cavalier1138 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:05 pm

Wait until you actually hear what Georgetown's offering, because your assumption that they'll give you money is a big assumption.

That said, if you're waiting on a retake that you think had an impact on your score, you should be waiting for that score and reapplying next year. There's no benefit to that retaken LSAT if you're already enrolled at a school.

Oh, and there's no way to really answer your core questions without more information. What's your total COA, job aspirations, etc.?

TLSDookie

New

Postby TLSDookie » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:12 pm

If you were scoring a 168-170+ consistently on PTs, accepting an offer on the basis of a 162 should seem pretty clearly the wrong move. Even if you messed up this re-take (and it might go better than you expect) the only right answer would be to lightly practice LSAT skills throughout the summer, grind for 3 weeks to get your stamina back up in the month before the exam and re-take one more time.

Sorry, OP, I know it sucks to hear you should defer your plans and "waste" a year working at a mindless job, especially with a T-14 acceptance in hand. But with that GPA and those practice LSATs you clearly are just one test away from saving yourself paying back ~$300,000 of debt+interest, with a much larger scholly to a better school than either of the ones you've been accepted to. Have your application in ASAP in October, spend a year working and experiencing life, and be much happier with yourself in 10 months.

11law01

New

Postby 11law01 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:26 pm

I appreciate the tough love... and the fact that you managed to give me advice without sounding like a dickhead (i've had some bad experiences on here). I already am a gap year student and as much as it sucks that I know I can score better, LSAT just hasn't worked out for me so far. I feel like it could be risker waiting a whole year and then choking on another LSAT. If it turns out I pulled off a 169 or 171 on this test (which I was scoring on practice tests), I'll wait a year. Otherwise, I have gave the LSAT all that I'm willing to give.

For COA I am lucky enough that my parents can pay for all my living costs. On the other hand, they cannot help me with any tuition, so I am comparing tuitions which would be USC total ~$78,000 GT ~$168,000 (Assuming no scholarship at all)

For job prospects I plan on attempting to get into big law, my aunt works for a top 100 firm in NYC that has offices in DC and LA as well.

Again, all advice is appreciated

TLSDookie

New

Postby TLSDookie » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:56 pm

Both schools are give you roughly the same shot at BL--40% of graduates land jobs at firms with 101+ attys. It does sound like UCLA places much more of its class in Cali, while your ties/network are predominantly East Coast.

It's a tough call, because neither of the outcomes you have on the table are life-ruining, calamitous, attend-Campbell Law-at-sticker, type decisions. But you're giving up potentially a higher Quality of Life (if you regard being able to buy more shit with the same paycheck as contributory towards high QOL) for the next decade, in exchange for some risk aversion. If you scored even a 166 on June's test and apply Sept 1, I think you can have better outcomes based on LSN (i.e. Duke/Cornell/Mich&GW$$$), I wouldn't put the bar for reapplying as high as 169.

At the same time, you can calculate what the take-home on a BL (or 90K is a real possibility from either school) paycheck is, what the monthly payments on either of those debts are for 10/25 year repayment plans, and if you'd be comfortable with the amount of money left for rent/food/car payments etc. Check out Georgetown's loan calculator to start.

11law01

New

Postby 11law01 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:02 pm

Thank you. I will definitely calculate the loan repayment for both best and worst case scenarios.

Return to “Choosing a Law School�