GW (100k CoA, 65k Loans) vs. GMU (5k CoA, 0 Loans) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

GW (100k CoA, 65k FedLoans) vs. GMU (Full ride)

GW (100k CoA, 65k FedLoans)
20%
GMU (Full ride)
80%

Total votes: 10

BigBeef

New

GW (100k CoA, 65k Loans) vs. GMU (5k CoA, 0 Loans)

Post by BigBeef » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:03 pm

Hello friends, long time lurker first time poster here. I wanted to ask your thoughts on this choice. Here's a bit about me; I have a 166 after 3 takes and a 3.4 uGPA from a liberal arts college, with a degree in the humanities. I'm from Northern Virginia. I also have one year of work experience at a small Virginia firm. I'm not a huge fan of the small firm experience and would like to pursue BigLaw. I know both of these schools are terrible for this, but unfortunately they are the options I have. GW is offering 26k/year, while GMU is a full-ride. I have enough savings to cover the first year at GW, but would have to take about 65k in loans for tuition over the next two years. GMU would be nearly free for me. Based on ATL, GW gives me a 20% greater chance at BigLaw (35% vs. 15%), although I certainly recognize that it's a huge gamble going there hoping for BigLaw. Thanks in advance for any insight, and sorry for the shit choices.

cavalier1138

Re: GW (100k CoA, 65k Loans) vs. GMU (5k CoA, 0 Loans)

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:24 pm

BigBeef wrote:I know both of these schools are terrible for this, but unfortunately they are the options I have.
Well, you're halfway there.

Both of these schools are bad for biglaw careers, but they are not the only options you have. You have another option, which is sitting out until you can retake the LSAT again. You've only been out of school for a year, so you have plenty of time to figure this out. But the biggest mistake you could make here would be rushing into this and ending up at a school that doesn't give you a fair shot at the career you want. If you think you can get that score up into the 170s, UVA and Northwestern both become potential choices for you.

With a 3.4, you'll always be a splitter, but if you got a 166, I'm relatively certain you can break into the 170s. If you're dead-set on biglaw, you need to go to a school that gives you a chance to get it.

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:31 pm

BigBeef wrote:sorry for the shit choices.
No you're not.

Nachoo2019

Silver

Post by Nachoo2019 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:34 pm

Well, GW for 65k is not a bad option as long as you're ok with a 77% chance you don't get big law. Basically, if you're big law or bust then you have to sit out long enough to retake. If not, GW at 65k is defensible.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”